Retirememnt

the maoster:
so is receiving a tad over £60k redundancy! Kerching. Fair play to him.

The first £30k will be tax free, the other £30k he could put into a pension, then obviously £7.5k could be withdrawn immediately tax free and the rest taxable above his personal allowance.

peirre:
I’m mulling over the idea of going part time or cutting back my hours next year when I reach a significant birthday, but I struggle to find things to do when I have several days off atm and cabin fever kicks in. So I can understand why some people return to driving after they reach retirement age

Your mind set that your going to be bored. Dismiss the idea, and think of the things you have wanted to and could not get the time off to do,go and do them,its certainly not hard to enjoy life. Driving will still be done long after your gone.

lolipop:

peirre:
I’m mulling over the idea of going part time or cutting back my hours next year when I reach a significant birthday, but I struggle to find things to do when I have several days off atm and cabin fever kicks in. So I can understand why some people return to driving after they reach retirement age

Your mind set that your going to be bored. Dismiss the idea, and think of the things you have wanted to and could not get the time off to do,go and do them,its certainly not hard to enjoy life. Driving will still be done long after your gone.

Wise words lolipop, however I don’t think it’s just boredom with some, more to do with finances.

one tip i can give about hobbies is take up a hobby that so is not you-and then really lean into it.Iv learned that way a whole different world opens up. For example going for a walk in the woods, why not go at midnight ,with a really weak torch .

@teatime… I am aware that a lot retired men and women do get bored in retirement,as they are still mentally and physically active.

Retired at 62 due to heart problems , got treatment ( 6 or 7 stents fitted ) but still failed treadmill test . The next dozen years was one long holiday , hooked the wobble box up at the end of may and spent 3months touring Scotland . Had to give it up at 75 when cancer reared its ugly head , but those were the best years of my life , no regrets .

A woman at a place I used to work at pinned up a 52 inch tape measure a year before she retired and cut an inch off every week. Kind of depressing, but maybe not for her as she was quite happy about retiring.

The culmination of a lifelong service to the economy as workforce. Some are born to become workforce, others inherit privileges

K27:
@teatime… I am aware that a lot retired men and women do get bored in retirement,as they are still mentally and physically active.

2nd attempt to reply ;
Oh no chance in getting bored with a smallholding animals and wife there is very little chance of that , today was continue making a new dog run and kennel and chopping wood .

Retirement? Whats that? :laughing:

Only another 35 odd years til I can consider that, assuming they haven’t scrapped the state pension by then. I’ve accepted Im just going to have to work til the grave it seems.

tierbirdy:
Retirement? Whats that? :laughing:

Only another 35 odd years til I can consider that, assuming they haven’t scrapped the state pension by then. I’ve accepted Im just going to have to work til the grave it seems.

Don’t make that mistake as many do. Get advice, start saving and planning now. It comes round so quickly. It’s a nightmare scenario but do something NOW.

I qualify for my State Pension in 2025 but I’m planning to carry on working if I can keep on passing the medical. I only work six months a year anyway, so never work for long enough for it to become tedious and while I could survive on £1,000-ish a month it wouldn’t pay for much other than the bare basics.