Retina Detachment

I had this happen when I was taking a trailer from Avonmouth to Kingsbury. The vision in my right eye went blurred and I could just make out the difference between the ground and the sky. I drove with my eye shut and dropped the trailer and drove back to Avonmouth ignoring the digi tach telling me that i had run out of driving time. I drove straight to the eye hospital and was given a rolocking for not making an appointment and they were just closing.
I did get treatment there later but I could not understand a word the doctor said. I was led in a darkenened room and I think the eye was frozen and injected. I later had a black oil slick making various shapes in the eye and I went to Boots. They diagnosed a torn retina and sent me to the local general hospital who were waiting for me. They sat me in a chair with my head clamped in a frame and welded the tear up with a laser. I walked out straight after and seven years later the sight in that eye is now better than my left one.
I never did any lorry driving during this time and my ADR also ran out and as i was six months from retirement i gave up work. I still have a yearly eye test with an x ray and my sight is fine for driving.

Stu Eastwood:
It was all to do with field vision tests which I passed, but the important one is the machine that is registered for dvla use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a report in one of the truck magazines saying the software they used for the field tests was faulty if I remember do drivers could have lost their entitlement due to faulty software. However the DVLA being the toss pots they are saying they were not to blame it was the company that supplied the software :unamused:

Went for my operation on Monday and it seemed to go well. Was put out under a general anaesthetic. I got the cryo-buckle surgery. I thought it would be really sore afterwards but it wasn’t. Only uncomfortable at times. Only taken 4 paracetamol since the op. Double vision was horrible though, but i was told this would happen. Its almost gone but still got blurred vision in my eye. Part of this is down to the buckle and the drops I’ve got to keep putting in my eye to keep the pupil dilated during the recovery. I thankfully haven’t had to posture due to where the detachment was. Going back to Gartnavel Hospital on Monday for a check up with the surgeon who done the op. Only then will i get a better idea of weather I’ve got the small piece of sight back that i lost and what it will mean long term. Hopefully enough to keep my license.
Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences of retinal detachment and your outcomes.

Sorry to hear about the hassle your having mate, glad to hear the op went well and hope the recovery period is swift. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

alfa man:
Sorry to hear about the hassle your having mate, glad to hear the op went well and hope the recovery period is swift. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Cheers alfa man.
I think recovery is going well. Feels like it is anyway. Find out properly on Tuesday when I go back for my check up with the surgeon. Work have been good with it. Gaffer says recovery will take as long as it takes but should the worst happen, I’ve still got a job in the company to go back to.

damoq:
Work have been good with it. Gaffer says recovery will take as long as it takes but should the worst happen, I’ve still got a job in the company to go back to.

Glad to hear it, means you can get on with getting sorted without having to worry about work.

damoq:
Went for my operation on Monday and it seemed to go well. Was put out under a general anaesthetic. I got the cryo-buckle surgery. I thought it would be really sore afterwards but it wasn’t. Only uncomfortable at times. Only taken 4 paracetamol since the op. Double vision was horrible though, but i was told this would happen. Its almost gone but still got blurred vision in my eye. Part of this is down to the buckle and the drops I’ve got to keep putting in my eye to keep the pupil dilated during the recovery. I thankfully haven’t had to posture due to where the detachment was. Going back to Gartnavel Hospital on Monday for a check up with the surgeon who done the op. Only then will i get a better idea of weather I’ve got the small piece of sight back that i lost and what it will mean long term. Hopefully enough to keep my license.
Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences of retinal detachment and your outcomes.

I had to do the posture for a week. Only allowed ten minuites out of every hour to where I could go to the big, have something to eat or knock a ham shank out :laughing:
I had to lay on my side for the full week, luckily for me it was on the same side as I would be facing the tv in bed. I went through a ■■■■ load of tv box sets I tell you :wink: :smiley:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

damoq:

I had to do the posture for a week. Only allowed ten minuites out of every hour to where I could go to the big, have something to eat or knock a ham shank out :laughing:
I had to lay on my side for the full week, luckily for me it was on the same side as I would be facing the tv in bed. I went through a [zb] load of tv box sets I tell you :wink: :smiley:

Only things I got told was to keep my eye clean and put the drops in when I’m supposed to. Relax as much as possible. No lifting anything heavy and no strenuous exercise or activities.
I’m not one for strenuous exercise anyway and the Mrs isn’t one for demanding strenuous activities in bed, so I’m easily managing to follow the doctors orders. [emoji23]

Well, been back to see the surgeon on Tuesday and everything looking good so far.
Even says I can go back to work when my sick line runs out (20th Feb) if I feel up to it. I was due to be off this week and next on holiday anyway so going back on Tues 28th. I’ve booked myself into the opticians on the 24th to have my eyes tested and make sure I’m within the limits for driving trucks. DVLA have been notified and I’ve got 21 days to return the V1V form back to them. I can drive while they make their decision providing consultant/doctor/opticians say it’s ok. So far so good. [emoji3]