Restraining a load

Alfa1M:
On this topic, I’ve been driving for 8 weeks now on curtain side rigid and NONE of the drivers strap their gear down with ratchets (mainly rolls of carpets which can be chocked but full pallets of screed at 700kg plus a pallet) .

I’ve tried using the internals but their good for nothing. Spoke to the boss who says the internal straps are enough and won’t provide ratchet straps.

Really worried about getting pulled one day off vosa and having an inadequately restrained load… Maybe I’m just being over cautious though as I say the other 18-20 drivers don’t strap down, some don’t even check their load before leaving in the morning.

Ok lets just break this down if you are so worried.

1. Read the link I posted further up. Yes its boring, yes its complicated, but if you are really worried you will do it.

2. No one here can tell you if what are doing is right or wrong without the following information:

• is your body rated as “XL”
  • are your curtains rated as “XL” or “Load Bearing”
  • does the load conform to “positive fit”
  1. It doesn’t matter what the other 20 guys do, they are either doing it right, or wrong. Its as simple as that.

If your boss will not supply ratchets, I’m willing to bet one of two things, either a)he’s a ■■■■ and you need to look for a new job. Or b) he’s got a product that will be damaged by ratchets and he has made alternative arrangements for load security…

Berty:
Most curtainsiders these days are load bearing curtains and only require the back 2 pallets to be strapped but that being said it’s up to the driver if he wants to strap the lot down as it’s your responsibility after all… Just use your judgement and drive to what your carrying

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thats not strictly true…As load bearing curtains are not the same thing as the trailer with the sticker on it…Stating that the trailer itself is xl rated…Will also have a number on the sticker…So just be aware of the difference in the design…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

F-reds:
Yes CPC be it mods 2 & 4 or the periodic 7 hour courses, are far too generic and nowhere near flexible or targeted enough.

Do you have other drivers at the places you work? Watch them, take the good bits they do, and add it to the stuff you have learned along the way.

The 7 hour load safety course we deliver covers the full BSEN 12195-1 standard for calculating securing forces for over strapping as well as other strapping methods and is about as detailed as you can get in a classroom. With this information anybody should be able to calculate exactly what is needed and what strap can actually do what etc. We only cover the theory though - no practical b

Unfortunately you are generally right though as other CPC courses I have attended - the trainer knew very little and they were very vague about exactly what is and isn’t secure.

As has been shown by this thread - the Initial CPC does nothing towards helping at all

Alfa1M:
On this topic, I’ve been driving for 8 weeks now on curtain side rigid and NONE of the drivers strap their gear down with ratchets (mainly rolls of carpets which can be chocked but full pallets of screed at 700kg plus a pallet) .

I’ve tried using the internals but their good for nothing. Spoke to the boss who says the internal straps are enough and won’t provide ratchet straps.

Really worried about getting pulled one day off vosa and having an inadequately restrained load… Maybe I’m just being over cautious though as I say the other 18-20 drivers don’t strap down, some don’t even check their load before leaving in the morning.

DVSA don’t routinely assess/check the load. Usually if it looks OK on the outside, no bulges etc they won’t bother - but that’s not to say they won’t ever :wink:

If you have an item over 400kg internals aren’t suitable and if they do check it just might be a PG9 and £100 fine. Of course the PG9 might then make the boss change his mind about load securing.

From what you say it sounds like the boss doesn’t actually know what he’s on about.

Doing night pallet trunks i am yet to see someone using a ratchet strap. And not all DD’s curtains are XL’d

shep532:

F-reds:
The 7 hour load safety course we deliver covers the full BSEN 12195-1 standard for calculating securing forces for over strapping as well as other strapping methods and is about as detailed as you can get in a classroom. With this information anybody should be able to calculate exactly what is needed and what strap can actually do what etc. We only cover the theory though - no practical b

Unfortunately you are generally right though as other CPC courses I have attended - the trainer knew very little and they were very vague about exactly what is and isn’t secure.

As has been shown by this thread - the Initial CPC does nothing towards helping at all

Shep, I don’t doubt that you know your stuff, and probably deliver a good course, but I’m glad you agree that a lot of load security CPC courses are utter turd. I’ve sat 3 different ones, delivered by 3 different trainers, from 3 different companies. 2 were terrible, and one was absolutely first class, as long as he was talking about load security in reefers and box bodies (as that was his background…) but he had no idea about anything else!

I’ve never sat a load restraint course, and had no idea that a pallet over 400kg’s needed extra security beyond an internal strap, and I’ve carried loads of pallets and IBC’s well over that, often ADR loads! :open_mouth:
Yes I know, ignorance is no defense! :cry:

But basically my point is that the whole CPC bollox is a joke and while I agree we need the DVSA and they do a good job, the sad reality is that many (including me) are sent out on the roads unprepared for the consequences… :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:
I’ve never sat a load restraint course, and had no idea that a pallet over 400kg’s needed extra security beyond an internal strap, and I’ve carried loads of pallets and IBC’s well over that, often ADR loads! :open_mouth:
Yes I know, ignorance is no defense! :cry:

But basically my point is that the whole CPC bollox is a joke and while I agree we need the DVSA and they do a good job, the sad reality is that many (including me) are sent out on the roads unprepared for the consequences… :unamused:

This is exactly what I’m trying to say! Initial CPC is a joke, 7 hour course is dependent totally on the provider and the accuracy of their interpretation of the rules… The whole system is unfit for purpose!

Not having sat an ADR course, do they seriously not cover restraining different ADR load types■■? I find it ridiculous if true, they make sure you have a list of items in case of spillage, but not the best practice to avoid spillage through well restrained loads??

My Christ!

I need a lay down I think…

F-reds:
Not having sat an ADR course, do they seriously not cover restraining different ADR load types■■? I find it ridiculous if true, they make sure you have a list of items in case of spillage, but not the best practice to avoid spillage through well restrained loads??

My Christ!

I need a lay down I think…

You best take a couple of tablets mate, as load restraint is not mentioned on an ADR course. :smiley:
Everyone knows the CPC is a joke and it’s often said on here that it’s about making money, but personally I just think it’s a government tick box exercise… :unamused:

It’s stupid that EVERY new driver doesn’t have to sit a basics course that covers EVERYTHING, and giving people my age :blush: the option to choose what CPC modules they wanted to do was the work of a ■■■■■■! :laughing:

Well I give up…

I don’t know what the answer is. But it isn’t the system we have now that’s for sure…

TO be honest, restraining loads should be taught by the employer as there are so many varied loads that we as drivers can transport. What works for one firm may not work for another. I do however believe a more comprehensive overview of load restraint should be taught to newbies when they are doing with tests.

When I did my Mod 4, it was all imaginary. “Imagine you had pallets of paper etc, how would you secure them”. Its very easy to regurgitate something thats been said to you then day before but its another thing to actually demonstrate to the examiner.

Radar19:
TO be honest, restraining loads should be taught by the employer as there are so many varied loads that we as drivers can transport. What works for one firm may not work for another. I do however believe a more comprehensive overview of load restraint should be taught to newbies when they are doing with tests.

When I did my Mod 4, it was all imaginary. “Imagine you had pallets of paper etc, how would you secure them”. Its very easy to regurgitate something thats been said to you then day before but its another thing to actually demonstrate to the examiner.

Exactly fella, asked a lad today if all pallets had to use the roof mounted straps to secure as was first day with said company.

His response never have done and I will not until I get pulled and caught !!

I couldn’t believe it to be fair, half way through my day I thought I ain’t very happy with my truck, brake pedal travelled to far, rattling noise under the cab at every bump … Not to mention a nob on steering wheel to assist with the heavy steering !! That also caught on my clothing every time I turned into a bend or corner owing to the fact it was secured with nothing but tape.

Reported to traffic office twice, once while on the road and also on my return.
His response was are you in on Monday ?
Mine was not this yard and never in that wagon …he was not concerned in the slightest.