Remember when the ferries .

Well I’ve just viewed both these after breakfast. What a cracking piece of film. Now I feel all restless and want to climb into the cab of one of those ERFs and race down that exit road out of the docks to head south - but as it was then! Sigh, can’t wind back the clock. Thank you Dan Punchard for drawing my attention to this film.

I noticed that there were two DTS trailers waiting to go to Morocco but I couldn’t see if one of the units was mine! Ditto the arse-end of the Westermanns drawbar, which also could have been me in that period. The prize for the best sound-byte goes to that ERF E14 hauling a bulk-tanker. Also, in the second part, spot the Spanish LHD ERF E14 at the very beginning. Great stuff! Robert :smiley:

Suedehead:
had a few Brits on?
youtube.com/watch?v=pQeQ5hYhqjc

Was all that gear splitting really nesses . .necsesar . . nescessa . . needed though?
Even the Bob Eddolls freighter :laughing:

Remember this little phrase Suedehead

Never Eat Cakes, Eat Salmon Sandwiches And Remain Young

I have to recite this everytime I need to spell that word :smiley:

turnip:
Brit European with them ridiculously underpowered drawbar outfits.

Hey Turnip

Those drawbar outfits were not that underpowered. They all had 320 or 360 BHP engines. And NO restrictions.
I know - my dad drove one for a few years.

No Micky Murffitt and no Denby either. I can’t remember even getting of the boat in day light, usually about 9 PM Sunday if I was lucky. 4 on Monday morning if I wasn’t. … Same start time…

Jeff

The bloke with the camcorder got on a ferry and did some recording over here as well in 1997

youtube.com/watch?v=BzZXPca18ww

youtube.com/watch?v=IpnSSGfRiTA

Jelliot:
No Micky Murffitt and no Denby either. I can’t remember even getting of the boat in day light, usually about 9 PM Sunday if I was lucky. 4 on Monday morning if I wasn’t. … Same start time…

Jeff

Isn’t that a Denby truck pulling a flat about 46 seconds from the start, after the Nicholls ERF?

Good memories there. While a lot of the names and liveries have disappeared Carrion’s trucks still look the same, except now the units are all registered in Cluj :frowning:

Jelliot:

Jeff

By the time they last lorry was off the boat,the Murffitts driver was probabably on his second beer in “Le pub” :smiley:

Anybody on here see Frankie Carson on the Stena Normandy on New Years Eve.
Southampton to Cherbourg route ?How anyone drove off the ferry without crashing was a miracle.
Most got to Burgos or Sunbila in one shift.

Dan Punchard:
That E14 sounds great .

Rare beast that, originally a 400 by the time of this video it had been rebuilt as a 465.

By the time it retired it must have covered an enormous mileage it had run on EBT all its life and was I think about 12 years old when it eventually died.

Talkng to it’s then driver he was most suited because he had just been up to Trondheim with it, it was about 9 or 10 years old at the time. He parked up for the weekend and the son of the cafe owner came running out with his camera all excited because he had only seen an ERF in the magazines before.

acd1202:

Dan Punchard:
That E14 sounds great .

Rare beast that, originally a 400 by the time of this video it had been rebuilt as a 465.

By the time it retired it must have covered an enormous mileage it had run on EBT all its life and was I think about 12 years old when it eventually died.

Talkng to it’s then driver he was most suited because he had just been up to Trondheim with it, it was about 9 or 10 years old at the time. He parked up for the weekend and the son of the cafe owner came running out with his camera all excited because he had only seen an ERF in the magazines before.

Just seen your post ,thanks for the info .

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DvYBKDvPOaM Nice ERF on this one too

Punchy Dan:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DvYBKDvPOaM Nice ERF on this one too

Thanks for that, Dan! Robert

Yeh, I remember doing Europe in an Fl10, had to put your trousers on lying on the bunk, at least you could store your ■■■■■■ on the top bunk, happy days with Murfitts.

Sapper

what memories all gd wrefords n/pton still going strong cant see if its me but had one of the erf olympics while on 4 jd riby and not one f…n waberers in site :smiley: