regulations

point is, should they be in a position to discrimenate in that way?
has anyone on here ever at any time seen a foreign registered wagon in one of these road side checks? i know i havn’t!

FUNNY. AS when i was bringing goods into the UK from ABROAD the checks were happening in fact i got pulled 6 times in one week in the UK;The
controls normaly when they are on the hunt for NON-BRITISH lorries will be
mainly done at the large check points that the VOSA have around the country WHY so that the full force of the VOSA;CUSTOMS etc CAN BE their
to carry out all checks required,if they are doing a check away from these spots you will find that the officer has been given orders on what vehicles he has to check or look out for, THE VOSA is not stupid and as many european firms will testifiy due to there not operating any more from a
UK based firm, yes if you look back in the past firms who thought that
the UK would be easy to cheat in the way they worked found out ,that it
does not work, I will not name firms as all,it needs is a little bit of reading
in the back issues from various trucking periodicals,

so sorry but you have been unlucky ,but they are and do contol all road users from all parts and not just UK trucks .

paul b:
has anyone on here ever at any time seen a foreign registered wagon in one of these road side checks? i know i havn’t!

Yes, a Dutch wagon at Shotton. He’d obviously picked up a prohibition too, as he was there before me and still there when I drove off, three hours later.

scanny77:
from what i have heard, they are more interested in axle overloading than gross overloading. how do we check that though? our weighbridge is only capable of weighing the entire vehicle and i am fairly sure that our axles are over at times. on the other hand, someone mentioned that self levelling air suspension will not allow axle overloading. is that true■■?

Here in Finland police has small movable scales which are put in front of each tyre and then you drive on them. Scales are shoving weight per wheel. About self levelling air suspension I have following theory. You have bogie which is rated to 18t but first axle is one tonn over and second axle is equally below its rating. Some nice electronic gadget notice those readings and after that it put more air pressure in suspension of second axle and at same time takes out some air from first axles suspension. This continues so long that both axles are within ratings. You can still get your axles overloaded but this helps as long as you are within your gross weight. I have heard that this is quite popular in trucks driving to Norway where you are not allowed to continue driving if any axle is even a little bit over its rating.

britpete,
you got pulled six times in one week? :open_mouth:
thats stretching it a bit, even for you!

no not realy as all the other lorrys were going too slow and i was asked to slow down twice,stopped and checked twice in the docks by VOSA BEFORE
ENTERING the uk, stafford check point, and the M62 check point,
yes these checks did happen and what makes it even worse it was the first week of driveing into the UK; AND YES THEY WERE ALL TAKEING THE micheal out of me at work here in germany as some of the guys were only checked 1.or 2 ,by the way paulb you are right you do have a
little advantage with a lorry from outside the UK,but i did not get treated lightly and it was no use trying the I do not speak the language as they were ready to get a translator down to solve that problem,

stafford eh, i’ve spent some hours in there, was it the one at rugely?

Paulb it was on the motorway the point between exit 12-13 or 14 when doing the manchester.cadieshead run, and they had the place full
you got given a piece of paper in 4-5 languages which told you what to do and what was required of you, and then you was inspectedmchecked out
etc also over the weigh bridge ,no problems as the disks they saw where all okay, and when finished was allowed to continue on my way,

our weighbridge is the fixed type with a sloped entry and exit which will throw any kind of accuracy on individual axles. i would like to find a more reliable method locally though :confused:
i did find something to print off from the VOSA website and i have copied it for all the drivers on our side of the operation. again, this is down to them not knowing the full facts ie it is a serious offence and they cannot assume that burning off some fuel will bring their weight down sufficiently. i want them to be fully aware of the risks and penalties so they can refuse to take the vehicles in that condition. there is nothing more i can do for them but at least i can provide them with some literature and knowledge on the subject :smiley: