Regular agency job gone belly up! ***URGENT***

Lucy:
Did you pass the C+E? Containerships at Haverton Hill used to take newbies.

I’ve haven’t passed C+E yet, but looking to in Nov/Dec (see my “Not happy with instructor” thread for more details).

My old workplace was opposite their yard.

Garbo2018:
Stockton-on-Tees (Fairfield). But willing to work anywhere on Teesside, County Durham or North Yorkshire.

Not my area. So can’t help. I’m sure someone will pipe up with top advice.

I got sacked/dropped from my last agency gig. Bizarrely (for me) it wasn’t for something that was actually my fault (see diesel being robbed thread). I posted in a hgv facebook group and got two blokes who gave me numbers for decent local agency work. One of them I called and the same day met with agency chap, next day assessment, night after that first shift. So don’t get too down - it’s part of the game of being an agency driver.

At the time I was annoyed/upset and slightly stressed I’d be out of pocket, as I have a 4 month trip starting in January. But I’m now in a much better place. Transport office great me by name. Never rushed. And am paid very well. Even the agency never mess me around. If I want a day off they accept it no questions. I’m much much happier.

As an aside - once you have your class 1, things are generally much better and easier. Expect a couple of months of hell learning to really reverse them and after that it’s a doddle. Easier work, better paid and generally better in all ways. So see all this in a positive way if you can - it only get’s better from here.

Agency and the firms…

You drive for have the right to drop you like a hot potato if the job falls through or what ever reason they want, it ■■■■■ but you have to learn to live with it.

On the plus side, when they want you to cover for a blobber, a job that’s just come up or the usual Friday ‘we’re slammed’ malarky, don’t forget to demand more money for the shift that you’re about to help them all out of the crap with. It’s one of the few perks we have left. I have no misgivings whatsoever demanding large bonuses for short notice cover.

Two words

Royal Mail

Try your local Pertemps office and see what they have. RM already looking as parcels and mail ramping up for Christmas

Garbo2018:
I have been on jobs before which use PDAs. So, I don’t know what’s so special about theirs. It’s not like you need a masters degree in quantum physics to operate one.

Bugger so did I waste my time in getting my masters ■■ :slight_smile:

good_friend:
Two words

Royal Mail

Try your local Pertemps office and see what they have. RM already looking as parcels and mail ramping up for Christmas

Only problem is that come New Year’s Eve the OP will be dropped again when that job comes to an end

“I got sacked/dropped from my last agency gig. Bizarrely (for me) it wasn’t for something that was actually my fault (see diesel being robbed thread). I posted in a hgv facebook group and got two blokes who gave me numbers for decent local agency work.”

This is from the same Sammym who was telling everybody to contact him for the highest paid jobs in the industry, but had to advertise on facebook when he needed a job. How strange

There’s no such thing as a secure agency job, there are some jobs which can be reasonably regular, but you have to remember that they can drop you on a whim

Don’t forget that the agency can moan at you for speaking directly to the client for various reasons.

Garbo2018:
Don’t forget that the agency can moan at you for speaking directly to the client for various reasons.

Oops! Double post.

I didn’t even get any training as such on the pda system I use in my current job. Was just handed a printed handout an told to get on with it.

People with a bit of savvy about stuff like mobile devices am handheld units. Will pick it up with or without training.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lorry drivers frequently crash into bridges that have signs and high vis stripes painted all over them. Never underestimate the ability of drivers to make a mess of something easy! :laughing:

Well, two days later, sat at home bored out of my skull, applying for jobs whilst next door’s dog barks and howls when they are both away at work during the day. :imp: :imp:

Bloody typical! All the agencies I’m registered with are quiet at the moment, even if we are just over a month away from Christmas.

Still, I’m doing another attempt at C+E a fortnight tomorrow.

Garbo2018:
Bloody typical! All the agencies I’m registered with are quiet at the moment, even if we are just over a month away from Christmas.

You need to phone them all, every single day until one of them gives you work just to shut you up. :stuck_out_tongue: