Reduced daily rest

In my case I did 3 x 9 hour reduced rest this week, but as I finished my week at 16.30 on friday and won’t start at work again until 6am Monday surely the compensation has been taken in this weekend period as I have had 61.5 hours off? :confused:

penfold:
In my case I did 3 x 9 hour reduced rest this week, but as I finished my week at 16.30 on friday and won’t start at work again until 6am Monday surely the compensation has been taken in this weekend period as I have had 61.5 hours off? :confused:

I’m no expert but I think that would be fine. That’ll be your standard 45 plus 6 for the three reduced periods making 51hrs which gives you plenty of leaway unless you’re also using this weekly rest to makeup for reducements taken in the previous few weeks too. Dont forget that if you for example last weekend rejuced your rest to 36hrs you have to take it in a block of 9hrs, it can’t be split into 2 hours here, and 4 hours there etc. You can break up daily rest when you make up for it, but weekly rest you’re making up for has to be taken en-bloc.

Daily rest compensation can be repaid in intervals of no less than 1 hr added to another daily rest period, whereas weekly rest compensation must be repaid in one go (En Bloc) attached to a daily or weekly rest period.

So if you reduced your daily rest to 9 hrs, you can either take a 12 hr rest and treat it as an 11 + 1 hr compen repayment or 13 hrs rest and treat it as and 11 + 2 hrs repayment.

Weekly rest if reduced to 36hrs leaves you owing 9 hrs so you could take a 20 hr daily rest and treat it as 11+ 9hrs repayment or 54hrs weekly rest and treat it as 45 + 9 hrs repayment,

If you reduced to 9 hrs 3 times and owed 6 hrs and also owed 9 hrs from your last weekly rest reduction you would owe 15 hrs, if you took 60hrs rest thats all your compen repaid for those 4 periods.

Dead easy innit :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This subject has previously been discussed HERE.

Steve, if your considering adopting the ‘thowing teddies out of the pram’ approach, and then claiming ‘Constructive Dismissal’ one the the factors likely to be taken into account is whether you have rasied the situation with management and implemented the ‘Grievance Procedure’ within the organisation.

I have provided a link regarding Grievance Procedure in the earlier thread.

Demonstrating to a Tribunal that you have exhausted all viable alternatives prior to deeming the working environment unacceptable, will normally act in anyones favour and serve to support the claim against an employer.

you can reduce to “” 8HRS per day with no pay back!!! as long as you have 4 hours of during the course of the shift … I.E… 2 HRS THEN 1 HOUR THEN 1 HOUR, 3 HOURS AND 1 HOUR, they must be in blocks of a min of 1 hour rest , just in case no one knew about this lol

globby 480:
you can reduce to “” 8HRS per day with no pay back!!! as long as you have 4 hours of during the course of the shift … I.E… 2 HRS THEN 1 HOUR THEN 1 HOUR, 3 HOURS AND 1 HOUR, they must be in blocks of a min of 1 hour rest , just in case no one knew about this lol

Sorry but your wrong on the one in the Red

The 4 hrs must be made up in no more than 2 rest periods of which they must not be below 1 hr each, the 3rd rest period must be 8 hrs minimum, only 3 rest periods can be used under Split Shift system :wink: :wink: :wink:

Krankee:
Steve, if your considering adopting the ‘thowing teddies out of the pram’ approach, and then claiming ‘Constructive Dismissal’ one the the factors likely to be taken into account is whether you have rasied the situation with management and implemented the ‘Grievance Procedure’ within the organisation.

No, I don’t throw those dummies out, just wanted to know where I stood on 9 hrs at home - cause I won’t do it !!

As it happens I’ve not been in that sutuation this last week, had a word with the gaffer about it (told him it’s a no no) and he’s backed off… :slight_smile:

Davey Driver:
Daily rest compensation can be repaid in intervals of no less than 1 hr added to another daily rest period, whereas weekly rest compensation must be repaid in one go (En Bloc) attached to a daily or weekly rest period.

So if you reduced your daily rest to 9 hrs, you can either take a 12 hr rest and treat it as an 11 + 1 hr compen repayment or 13 hrs rest and treat it as and 11 + 2 hrs repayment.

Weekly rest if reduced to 36hrs leaves you owing 9 hrs so you could take a 20 hr daily rest and treat it as 11+ 9hrs repayment or 54hrs weekly rest and treat it as 45 + 9 hrs repayment,

If you reduced to 9 hrs 3 times and owed 6 hrs and also owed 9 hrs from your last weekly rest reduction you would owe 15 hrs, if you took 60hrs rest thats all your compen repaid for those 4 periods.

Dead easy innit :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that Dave…

Explains why the hour guard allows further reduced rests the following week. Didn’t realise they could be paid back over a w/e — yet another lesson learned :unamused:

paul b:
well, yes the employer can tell the employee that he needs him to take a reduced daily rest on any given day but that can only be done three times in one week but those hours have to be made up by the end of the following week.

I was under the impression (and correct me if im wrong) but you do not have to pay back your reduced rests the following week… but all reduced rests both daily and weekly MUST be made up within 3 weeks.

Reef:

paul b:
well, yes the employer can tell the employee that he needs him to take a reduced daily rest on any given day but that can only be done three times in one week but those hours have to be made up by the end of the following week.

I was under the impression (and correct me if im wrong) but you do not have to pay back your reduced rests the following week… but all reduced rests both daily and weekly MUST be made up within 3 weeks.

I was sure you were correct Reef. But just to be absolutely certain, I checked on the D.o.T web site Here and was surprised to read

Department of Transport:
Minimum Daily Rest Period

(i) 11 consecutive hours which can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times a week with compensation before the end of the following week.

This is in the table on page 12.

I’m maybe not so surprised after all. Thinking about it, I seem to remember reading about that change a couple of months ago, (or so :unamused: )

As stated, reduced daily rests must be compensated for by the end of the following week.

Reduced weekly rests however, must be compensated for by the end of the third week following the reduction. This means, for example, that if you reduce your weekly rest in week one, it must be compensated for by the end of week four, and not week three as is often mistakenly thought.

You are right Coffee. I was mixing up Weekend and Daily Rest.

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: