Recession not started yet

Conor:

tmcassett:
Obviously the 12 days holiday I’m having off from tomorrow after I finish my shift today is in my head then, just like last August when we went to Norfolk for the week. You really do spout some complete and utter crap on here.

Yeah but that’s you and how long have you been at where you work? Chances are someone else who hasn’t been there as long wanted to book the same week(s) and got told no because you wanted to and had seniority. And that’s the point Winseer was making.

Where I’m at the permanent drivers have to fill in a holiday request form which then goes to management who say yes or no depending on who has already put in a request for that same period and at most large companies if you’ve not booked time you want off in August by the end of the first week in January you’re not going to get it because everyone else will have jumped in already. With my agency I just have to give 2 weeks notice. “Book me holiday for week after next, thanks” is all anyone at my agency has to say. There’s no “sorry mate we have to refuse you because Bob and Dave are off that week already”.

Get the point in that regard. But on agency youp could be told next week there’s no work for them. It’s swings and roundabouts.

Personally I’ve never struggled anywhere to get time off but I’m generally organised, for instance I know what I need off for next year’s summer holiday.

The only place where seniority ever came into it for me was Royal Mail, everywhere else I’ve been is first come first served which, as mentioned above, as long as you’re organised for peak times (like half terms if needed) hasn’t ever caused me an issue.

Conor:

tmcassett:
Obviously the 12 days holiday I’m having off from tomorrow after I finish my shift today is in my head then, just like last August when we went to Norfolk for the week. You really do spout some complete and utter crap on here.

Yeah but that’s you and how long have you been at where you work? Chances are someone else who hasn’t been there as long wanted to book the same week(s) and got told no because you wanted to and had seniority. And that’s the point Winseer was making.

Well we’ve got about 140 drivers here as its a large distribution center. I’ve been here 3 years, plenty of drivers who’ve been here 10, 15 or even 25+ years in some cases so in no way am I senior. I’ve never been refused any holiday request that I’ve put in. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but Winseer was making the implication that full timers can’t take holidays when they like and agency staff can - that’s the part that’s complete horse manure.

As an alternative get yourself in a position where you can offer your resignation date as your holiday start date.
I never chose Christmas or school holidays to do that, but have used it to get month long September/October holidays.
Life first.

Not here to gloat or anything, but just to add contrast to some viewpoints mentioned/hinted on here.

Started in May this year, ive got holidays booked next week? Granted it’s only on Fri and Sat ( am off Tue-Thu anyhow). I don’t see what this August/holidays fuss is?

I get texts nearly every day from previous agency to ask if am available? It does look like short term work though.

Also, our work is rammed. We got a shortage of drivers. I was paid double time to come in on one of my days off this week. However it’s cage work/fridge/tail lift to multi stores and long hours.

I suppose am lucky in a way, but I come home every day covered in sweat and absolutely knackered. Wages are good too - I consider myself blessed, but there’s work out there. Just my 2pc.

tmcassett:
Maybe I’ve just been lucky but Winseer was making the implication that full timers can’t take holidays when they like and agency staff can - that’s the part that’s complete horse manure.

Do you have to put in a holiday request form? Yes/No
Can you only take holiday when that request is approved? Yes/No.

If the answer to both of those is yes then they’re telling you when you can take holiday. The fact you get the dates you apply for approved is neither here nor there, they’re giving you permission to take them then, you’re not dictating to them that’s when you’re going. On agency we tell them when we’re taking holiday and they have zero say in the matter. We don’t have to put in request forms, we don’t have to have anything approved, the only thing that some ask is you give them a bit of notice.

Only day I had rejected,this year,was 12th jan.
Bizarre.i’ll shunt on Sunday,though.
I’m not prone but when the regulars,are in Poland…I’ll step in.
I’ll save the day. :wink:

I worked when there was 4 million out of work when there really was no work and the population was only about 57 million ,theer are they say 65 million now but in reality they have no idea so at some point a lot of the new comers will want their share of the cake …I think there may be trouble ahead 2030 say :cry:

Conor:

tmcassett:
Maybe I’ve just been lucky but Winseer was making the implication that full timers can’t take holidays when they like and agency staff can - that’s the part that’s complete horse manure.

If the answer to both of those is yes then they’re telling you when you can take holiday. The fact you get the dates you apply for approved is neither here nor there, they’re giving you permission to take them then, you’re not dictating to them that’s when you’re going. On agency we tell them when we’re taking holiday and they have zero say in the matter. We don’t have to put in request forms, we don’t have to have anything approved, the only thing that some ask is you give them a bit of notice.

Ain’t holiday request a form of notice ■■?

Personally from my ( our companies point of view ) things definitely slowing down .
Use to get 55-65 hours a week and 2-3 nights out a week but over the last 3 months hardly getting our 48 hours minimum , even some days told not to come in and about 1 night out a month .
Not looking to jump ship as I enjoy my job and the company I work for is decent , think it’s a case of head down for 6 months to a year hopefully less and ride out the storm .
Here’s hoping .

dozy:
, started 5.30 , finished 13.00 , makes you wonder what it will be like when it really hits

Oh dear from the man boasting £900 for 3 days work that’s you shafted then !!!

Conor:

tmcassett:

Yes I have to put a holiday request in and yes it has to be “authorised” but that is not relevant to the point I was making about Winseers comments - go back and read what he said, which was that he was only able to get holiday time off in August because he was agency and he was implying that “most” full timers can’t - which like a lot of what comes out of his mouth is total rubbish as my own example proves!

For context, I’ve spent half my time driving on agency and believe me there are many many agencies out there who will stop ringing you if you start saying you want this time off, that time off or just being a bit fussy about things if it doesn’t fit in with their peak periods and when they want “you” to work - irrespective of how loyal or reliable you have been for them in the past. Not intending this to be a full time v agency thing as I’ve done both and both have their advantages/disadvantages.

I obviously do agency now & be it holidays / hospitals visits / working 3 day weeks ive had no issues with the agency over any of it.
But I’m under no illusions that’s simply because they don’t pay me ,

robthedog:

dozy:
, started 5.30 , finished 13.00 , makes you wonder what it will be like when it really hits

I know, it’s almost as if he’s a troll … oh wait. :wink:

robthedog:

dozy:

You sound like my mate , he was nigh on creaming his pants over me only getting only 7 hrs a day , when I told him I was only getting 2 days this week he did , pathetic

tmcassett:

robthedog:

dozy:

I know, it’s almost as if he’s a troll … oh wait. :wink:[/
You’ve a bit of a thing about calling people names , winseer now me , hopefully we meet out on the road , you won’t miss me as I always put my Bristol rovers flag up at beginning of shift , never seen another , so come over and introduce yourself
Strange that that flag is always up , yet all the ones who’ve got so much to say on here never come near the lorry , hopefully you’ll break that mould
I’m heading from Grantham - Asda dartford - Grantham today so happy to meet Cambridge , colsterworth etc etc , don’t be shy
As for my wages , it’s simple arithmetic , £21 x what ever hours I do ( 9 hrs guaranteed ) x how many days , calculator would obviously be best for you , if it’s 45 hrs it’s £900 , I’m 2 days this week so could be £600 if 30 hrs , or £360 , 9 hrs guaranteed , not rocket science is it , just simple arithmetic

dozy:
Strange that that flag is always up , yet all the ones who’ve got so much to say on here never come near the lorry

Not sure the reason you’re thinking is the reason why to be honest mate :wink:

toonsy:

dozy:
Strange that that flag is always up , yet all the ones who’ve got so much to say on here never come near the lorry

Not sure the reason you’re thinking is the reason why to be honest mate :wink:

Good old doze never disappoints, come and have a go if your hard enough

Winseer:

dozy:

Winseer:

dozy:
Talking to chap in office today , said it’s dead ,

Agency office? - Dead in August■■ :open_mouth:

No company I’m at , been there a while but can’t see it next week , as for agency , would often see txts for extra days , but not seen any of late
Had a good run so can’t complain

My phone has been getting texts from agencies I’ve never signed up with, let alone worked for.

It was pretty much the same a year ago today, although on that occasion, I chose to do a 17 day assignment for the first one to call, and left my current part-time directly employed firm I was at - to go back to agency again.

This week - I get to take two weeks off in August for the first time this century - courtesy of being agency, rather than “not quite enough seniority, sorry bud” which is where most other people are at with regards to “Taking holidays during August”… Not gloating, just pointing out one of the advantages of having “irregular” hours.

Yes spot on with employed holidays , try to book a week ( not available , too many off ) , try to book a week ( sorry can’t get agency in too cover , not allowed , too expensive ) , try to book a week ( only got wed - fri available ) , Xmas was hopeless , can’t have dec , week before Xmas , 1st week in jan etc etc , ask if holiday signed up , sorry you’ve not handed in form ( I did ) , March fully booked up , you can carry holidays over , June , sorry don’t know who told you that we don’t carry hols over

dozy:
You’ve a bit of a thing about calling people names , winseer now me

Only when they are talking complete crap like pretty much anything that comes out of Winseer’s mouth or in your case when you are obviously a troll.

dozy:
hopefully we meet out on the road , you won’t miss me as I always put my Bristol rovers flag up at beginning of shift , never seen another , so come over and introduce yourself
Strange that that flag is always up , yet all the ones who’ve got so much to say on here never come near the lorry , hopefully you’ll break that mould
I’m heading from Grantham - Asda dartford - Grantham today so happy to meet Cambridge , colsterworth etc etc , don’t be shy

Surely you are not the only lorry driver with a Bristol Rovers flag so any chance of a selfie - or perhaps a photo of you stood next to your vehicle with your reg showing? :wink:

Although it won’t be for a while as I’m off for 12 days in case you missed that part!