Recalling memories of The Jungle Cafe A6 Shap Road

kevmac47:

Bewick:

kevmac47:
At Waughs Ken Lancaster (the Duke) had a foolproof way of checking if a driver could handle an artic. Although by then (early seventies) the HGV licence had been in use a couple of years, new faces needed to be assessed. We had a lot of Carnation Milk in storage and on trailers in the yard and the warehouseman Tommy Hardy didn’t drive any lorries, the w/house doors were very narrow and the yard was very congested :smiley: :smiley: if you could reverse in through the doors with a loaded trailer and an Atki without power steering in a reasonable timeframe you were in with a chance of a job. Unfortunately even if there wasn’t a job available Ken often got candidates to shunt these trailers as it saved him calling a regular driver off another job to the business. :imp: :imp: Ps if you got in that shed in one go first time you were good at your job. Regards Kev.

Why aye wor Kev, now I’ve actually found out why Waugh’s got shot of ONL 482M because without power steering none of their Star men could back a trailer into their warehouse with this fine motor :blush: :blush: :blush: They say you learn something every day !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Howay the lads ! “wot no power steering” well send it back to Atki’s for the lads ower the other side of the Pennines :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Soft buggers :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis “Muscles” Bewick :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Keep stirring Dennis, someone’s bound to bite!!! My new Borderer NTY683M, like every other Atki until the "N"reg’s had “armstrong” steering. The first artic I drove with power handlebars was that bloody three pointed star abortion, MTN 835R. After a couple of weeks driving that lump l asked for my old Atki back, (request denied) PS your “muscles” signature is apt :imp: :imp: is that in your tongue■■? :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Howay Bonny Lad I know a fine motor like ONL 482M which you had to send back because it was too much for you Waugh lads to handle !! :blush: Anyway Kev you’ve got me thinking and Power Steering as standard is where ERF scored over Atkinsons ( unfortunately) as the “A” Series which came out the same time as the Borderer had ZF P/Steering as standard and I know I reckon that Atkis were the better of the two but thinking back we probably ran as many ERF’s as Atkis and they were every bit as reliable or better probably if it wasn’t for that poxy Seddon axle that Atkis used. Just a bit of reminiscing by an Old ex haulier eh! Cheers Dennis.

This is a '73 shot of the first new “A” Series we bought 220cu/RTO609/D85 stood in the yard at Milnthorpe. It was a nice smooth runner IIRC but just didn’t perform quite like the Atki Borderers . I’ve ■■■■■■ past it on the M6 grades with the same weight on. Those were the days ! Cheers Bewick.

It’s the strangest thing but, photos of Shap and the Jungle Café seem as rare as an empty M6. It is always the same few pics doing the rounds, like the ones posted on here, which crop up all over the place. Surely there must be loads more out there somewhere? Has anyone looked in the attic recently? :slight_smile:

Does the Leyland museum have any?

fryingpan:
It’s the strangest thing but, photos of Shap and the Jungle Café seem as rare as an empty M6. It is always the same few pics doing the rounds, like the ones posted on here, which crop up all over the place. Surely there must be loads more out there somewhere? Has anyone looked in the attic recently? :slight_smile:

Does the Leyland museum have any?

Our local paper in Kendal “The Westmorland Gazette” may have some shots of the “JUNGLE” in their Archive, I’ll make some enquiries and try and find out. Cheers Bewick.

I had a go on the Gazette archive site last night but couldn’t come up with anything so I might have to call into their office in town and ask. Cheers Bewick.

Ok thanks. They must have snow scenes at the least. The M6 opening in Oct 1970 must have been a big local story.

I remember an old driver once telling me that there used to be a lifesized stuffed bear stood inside the doorway of the place just as you went in, and that’s how it came to be called The Jungle. I’m not saying that the story’s true, I’m just saying that this is what was related to me. The first time I went into the place would have been around 1961 or 62. I wasn’t driving at the time, as I was still at school, the driving would come a few years later and last for quite some time. At that time, I was just travelling around. I don’t personally recall seeing a stuffed bear, or any other remotely jungle oriented animal anywhere near the place, I just remember the warm summer nights, the unmistakeable smell of Ferodo dust in the air, Frank Ifield on the jukebox and the hot radiators of the wagons ’ pinging ’ on the car park. Heady days when you’re 14 and the sap’s just rising.

Eddie Heaton:
I remember an old driver once telling me that there used to be a lifesized stuffed bear stood inside the doorway of the place just as you went in, and that’s how it came to be called The Jungle. I’m not saying that the story’s true, I’m just saying that this is what was related to me. The first time I went into the place would have been around 1961 or 62. I wasn’t driving at the time, as I was still at school, the driving would come a few years later and last for quite some time. At that time, I was just travelling around. I don’t personally recall seeing a stuffed bear, or any other remotely jungle oriented animal anywhere near the place, I just remember the warm summer nights, the unmistakeable smell of Ferodo dust in the air, Frank Ifield on the jukebox and the hot radiators of the wagons ’ pinging ’ on the car park. Heady days when you’re 14 and the sap’s just rising.

Did it have a kilt on Eddie or bib and brace overalls and wearing clogs maybe ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

It was definitely wearing a Bearskin Dennis! :laughing:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Frankydobo:

Frankydobo:

Well if it was wearing clogs and bib and brace it was one of Ridings drivers ! Cheers Dennis. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

Well if it was wearing clogs and bib and brace it was one of Ridings drivers ! Cheers Dennis. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dennis, Of course it may have been old Harry when he was working for FEARINGS of Burnley, Hope you & yours are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

Clogs and bib and brace overalls were THE Smith of Maddiston Scots drivers choice of work clothes,that is until the claret coloured jacket and trousers were issued to all Staff,the colour matching the predominant cab colour of the fleet.

David

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

Hi Dennis, Of course it may have been old Harry when he was working for FEARINGS of Burnley, Hope you & yours are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Aye you could be right there Larry ! but I think “H” was more of a “smoke” runner ! more talent down there for him :wink: Yes we’re both OK thanks and I trust you and yours are in similar fettle ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

Clogs and bib and brace overalls were THE Smith of Maddiston Scots drivers choice of work clothes,that is until the claret coloured jacket and trousers were issued to all Staff,the colour matching the predominant cab colour of the fleet.

David

I wonder if Dave Fergie donned that ensemble when he drove North in his Guy Invincible, probably still wanders around his present abode dressed similarly, well that will keep the neighbours at bay I should think !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

David

I wonder if Dave Fergie donned that ensemble when he drove North in his Guy Invincible, probably still wanders around his present abode dressed similarly, well that will keep the neighbours at bay I should think !! Cheers Dennis.

You could well be right Dennis,a lot of French “artisan’s” favour the bib and brace,not sure on the clogs though,more Dutch than French I think

David

Lost and now found. Shap in the 60’s and in summer instead of the usual snow scenes.
Must be the end of a Glasgow Wakes Week, from the number of coaches heading north. Note bonkers overtaking, including car past 2 coaches on blind bend. Also, white coach in the dip, appears to be skidding or swerving.

My first visit to the Jungle was about 1949 as a passenger on a lorry. I was a fifteen year old hitch hiker on my way to the Isle of Skye from my home near Warrington. During the course of the journey, the driver regaled me with tales of his life on the road. One anecdote that has always stuck in my mind was the one where he was running down a hill out of gear ( Aberdeen overdrive you call it ) and met a car on a narrow bridge at the bottom…" Ah hut th’ brig at fifty an’ put his engine between him and his @!#*!** missus. "
In 1953 ,whilst doing my National Service, I was stationed at Hadrian’s Camp at Carlisle and made several journeys over Shap on an ex WD Royal Enfield 350 side valve, often calling in at the Jungle for a break. One journey was in the snow and the old bike coped with it quite well.
Some years ago I went to a wedding in Penrith and took a nostalgic trip down the old A6 to look for the Jungle Cafe. Sadly, I found that it was long gone and there was a caravan park where it once stood.
Am I right in thinking that there were stuffed birds and animals in the Jungle which probably gave it’s name ?
I tried to add a photo of me on the Royal Enfield but my eighty seven year old technology is not up to it.
Malcolm Atherton, Portland, Dorset

I have just watched the Fish Run DVD,Chas Alexanders running to Manchester/Liverpool, Doing a changeover at Kendal,And having a few drams of course, Ive spent wintery trips over Shap in my day, I dont think drivers would ever forget winters like we used to have to travel in those old days,Regards Larry.

The Eagles Nest, Then the Selside Cafe further along, Regards Larry.