Rear Mounted Forklift - What to look out for

Own Account Driver:
Well two years later and finally bought one. Have got a trailer with the kit fitted at the back but am I likely to run into any problems collecting it. It looks like a normal moffett but the kits at the back of the vehicle/trailer seem to vary. Mine has the two pull out slides in the middle and doesn’t have the spade type pieces the wheels rest on. If I lift it in the fork pockets as long as I ratchet strap it securely once lifted it should be ok?

Not sure if the moffett has got the securing chains but will ratchet strap anyway and was just going to take a lightboard rather than risk a faff getting the (probably smashed) lights on the back of the moffett operational.

Once it’s lifted onto the back it’s not going anywhere,the straps don’t do a lot anyway,the sheer weight keeps it on there,in my experience,mine has the two pull out slides.

Mines got the pull out slides and it never really moves, but we do use ratchet straps as well, if only to look the part and to keep VOSA off our backs. You shouldn’t have any problems as long as you’ve got a counter weight on the front of the trailer, but just be aware that the tail end swings out more, but you’ll soon get use to that.

At last! A genuine reason for a thread revival!

trucken:
Mines got the pull out slides and it never really moves, but we do use ratchet straps as well, if only to look the part and to keep VOSA off our backs. You shouldn’t have any problems as long as you’ve got a counter weight on the front of the trailer, but just be aware that the tail end swings out more, but you’ll soon get use to that.

What do you use for a counter weight??

Big lump of cast iron on the drawbar itself between the body of the trailer and the coupling eye, fitted permanently as we never run without the Manitou.

bobbya:

trucken:

What do you use for a counter weight??

Pulled a flat trailer recently that had a big slab of heavy steel plate over the 5th wheel.

ChrisArbon:
Traction for the drive wheels can be a problem on 6 x 2 units. You might need a big-bag of ballast on the head-board; then of course that cuts down the pay-load big-time when you have the machine on-board as well.

Also when you have an empty trailer remember that the rear of the trailer will have weight which can cause a jack knife when braking hard, the piggyback fork lift can make the trailer react like a pendulum.

Sidevalve:
Personal experience of the Moffett M10; the telehandler version of the Moffett.

Great bit of kit which is let down by a few issues; mainly poor electrics and lousy after-sales service. Ours have the later joystick type controls which suffer from water/dirt ingress and fail; not often but of course if it packs up when the FLT’s off the truck you’re scuppered. The light units are extremely expensive and also rather fragile. Battery is a country mile away from the starter motor which means that starting from cold on a frosty morning is a lottery due to current drop; experienced Moffett users always start them up and run them for a few minutes before leaving the yard!

Regarding those ex-MOD ones you’re looking at; they may well be good kit but I’d be inclined to find out how much they weigh. Since the army isn’t in the main part bothered about tipping VOSA’s scales, and also their kit has to be pretty rugged, I’d guess that those jobs are a bit heavier than a stock Moffett; my M10 weighs in at 2.75 tonnes BTW. You don’t want the enclosed cab, restricts visibility too much.

If you do want a tele-handler (and they’re much better than the stock lorry-mounted FLT’s for various reasons) I’d recommend you find a Manitou.

I can recommend an excellent service engineer who covers your area BTW. PM me if you want details.

I second that about enclosed cabs, restricts visabiliity, cant see where steer tyre is facing , and on one of ours that is enclosed the exhaust fumes get into the cab.