rear beacons

cieranc:

exmayor:
and we run with Flashing lights on the back on the bigger trailers even when we are empty as it just covers you a bit more,

Trouble is Darren, people see you with beacons on empty, think they have to do the same.
What’s happening is their effect is becoming diluted, the public just don’t take any notice of them anymore.
The reason being, everyone’s got them on, all the council lads, HATO’s who’re parked up doing nowt, Incident Support parked up at the top of sliproads have them on, bin wagons, [zb] me even Mick and Paddy’s wheel barrows have them fitted.

In the recovery industry we’re finding that despite a massive drive in training, developed working practices, thorough risk assesments, more back-up available than years gone by (Highways), better clothing, PPE and reflective tapes on the trucks than we’ve ever had before, that the accident rate is going UP.
Studies have shown that amber beacons just don’t get attention anymore, people see that many of them they’re complacent with them.
This worries the hell out of me. My lads work on the hard shoulder for a living, it’s one of the most dangerous places you can be.
With beacons becoming less and less effective, it’s a grave concern for me and our lads out on the road.

PLEASE, don’t use amber beacons unless REQUIRED TO BY LAW! Their over-use is killing their effect.

I second that. The best thing to do is for VOSA and the police to crack down on the ‘misuse’ of amber beacons.

Rikki-UK:

but you do need one on when loaded. If you are more than 3 metres wide you need a red and white retroreflective board 50mm square on each corner of the load with 3 marker lights down the side of the boards

In the U.K. you will need a rigid sign on the front of the truck 6foot by 1foot approx. having WIDE LOAD on it in black letters and the writing must be 8 inches high and the letters must be 1 and a half inches thick. The background must be Yellow retroreflective grade 1 or 2 and the same on the rear of the trailer.

Which regs is this under? Has it changed? as far as I am aware all you need is for wide load Triangular marker boards on the extremeties of the load, illuminated at night (white to front and red to rear) and side markers

Use of beacons for wide loads as far as I am aware is down to the local conditions set down by the Police abnormal load officers when issuing movement orders in their areas

The regs havn’t changed. Square marker boards with three lights down the side and a ‘Wide Load’ sign on the front is not a legal requirment at all! Although, my personal opinion is that it should be.
In fact, a british registered truck can be given a ticket for having sqaure marker boards as the UK regs state that triangle markers should be used (one of Strathclydes finest tried to get us on that).
The only reason most companys use sqaure markers because they come as standard on special transport trailers built in Europe like Nooteboom, Broshuis & Goldhofer. This is because this is a legal requirement over there. But a UK built King trailer will come with triangle boards as standard. However this may change in the near future as ongoing discussions are being had with the relevant people to bring us in line with the rest of europe. Fingers crossed that this will happen sooner rather than later.

Rob (Teahan Convoi Service)

cieranc:

exmayor:
and we run with Flashing lights on the back on the bigger trailers even when we are empty as it just covers you a bit more,

Trouble is Darren, people see you with beacons on empty, think they have to do the same.
What’s happening is their effect is becoming diluted, the public just don’t take any notice of them anymore.
The reason being, everyone’s got them on, all the council lads, HATO’s who’re parked up doing nowt, Incident Support parked up at the top of sliproads have them on, bin wagons, [zb] me even Mick and Paddy’s wheel barrows have them fitted.

In the recovery industry we’re finding that despite a massive drive in training, developed working practices, thorough risk assesments, more back-up available than years gone by (Highways), better clothing, PPE and reflective tapes on the trucks than we’ve ever had before, that the accident rate is going UP.
Studies have shown that amber beacons just don’t get attention anymore, people see that many of them they’re complacent with them.
This worries the hell out of me. My lads work on the hard shoulder for a living, it’s one of the most dangerous places you can be.
With beacons becoming less and less effective, it’s a grave concern for me and our lads out on the road.

PLEASE, don’t use amber beacons unless REQUIRED TO BY LAW! Their over-use is killing their effect.

+10 :smiley:

Rikki-UK:
Shep…
thats roughly what I remember without looking it up, which is why I am a bit confused with the wide load sign and 3 marker lights down each square marker board and beacon mentioned above by Big Ben …

If the regs have changed then only too happy to be educated :wink:

You can check with HIGHWAYS AGENCY on line or check out CONVOI EXCEPTIONNAL site on line they both have up to date regs. I have just spent £2000 bringing my ■■■■■■ Van up to date with all new regs and equipment needed.
Best Regards. Ben

Those look at me lights do work, I look at them and think ■■■■ :laughing:

Do us all a favour and leave them off. bas,d things flashing in ones face for no apparent reason.

+1, especially at night

Saw 3 empty low loaders coming down the M1 the other day. Mind you, they were green & had a bloody great Oshkosh on the front!

Did they have beacons on?

Dammit :blush: I knew I’d forgotten to mention something

What really annoys me is the ■■■■■■ vans with stobes on the roof right at eyelevel.

Santa:
What really annoys me is the ■■■■■■ vans with stobes on the roof right at eyelevel.

Thats the point