Really nasty hills

rondavies:
Going up the hill through Mardin, s.e.Turkey in the old days before they let you use the so called military road.

First time I was in a 110 Scania and tail end charlie in the “■■■■■■”, overloaded naturally as I was driving for Simons and had to engage crawler gear and throwing out ciggies to the kids running alongside. i was going so slowly that they were able to pick up the cigs and catch me up again for more ready with the rock in the hand if the cigs weren’t forthcoming!!

Then you’ll remember the descent into ‘death valley’ after Bolu on the old road (before my time) - I hear that was a deceptive hill. Robert

Talking of military roads, the climb north out of Damascus in Syria was a fair old pull. You were supposed to stick to the motorway but many of us took the (forbidden but not enforced) military road that ran alongside it (picture below). I’ve found a couple more hill pics too. Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:

rondavies:
Going up the hill through Mardin, s.e.Turkey in the old days before they let you use the so called military road.

Then you’ll remember the descent into ‘death valley’ after Bolu on the old road (before my time) - I hear that was a deceptive hill. Robert

The Turkish driver of this Altrex rig decided to run it into the cliff face rather than go over the drop on the other side when he ran out of Ferodo
going down Bolu.

They never found the driver, some reckon he jumped and did a runner.

Dirt road over the Taurus mountains in southern Turkey before there was any tarmac down.

Somewhere between Biricek and Cizre.

Pulling out of the filling station at Kiziltepe before going over Mardin.

Dropping down into Cizre from the Mardin road.

Convoy over Mardin.

Standard of roads over Mardin.

Me and a mate along with two Belgians tried the military road between Kiziltepe and Cizre and when we hit the boggy section we got roped and chained together. In the end, I was the only one to get through,my mate and one of the Belgians went back, the other Belgian had so much weight on he was bogged in and we had to leave his truck.

Top of Sunbilla in the snow…in June !!

image.jpg

Frejus during an Italian strike…got webbed up on Sunday night when they closed the tunnel. Turned around and via ventemiglia…got even more stuck down there !!

image.jpg

Thinking of a few in the UK that are now bypassed of don’t now exist.
Black Dog hill on the A36 approaching Warminster from Bath direction.
Running from Folkestone to Dover on the old road.
On the A272 from Petersfield towards Winchester
Of course only having 180 horses pulling 32 tons (as opposed to tonnes) tended to heighten the experience, plus only six gears to stir.

Fish hill Broadway and Birdlip,still mek em sweat!

Tubbysboy:

tiptop495:
hey, but like the HP 's are Climbing in the future there will be no montains any more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers Eric,

Bet that big one coming out of Liege heading south will never be flattened… Used be in 3rd gear dragging up that in an extremely tired and very gutless FH380 . Loaded with kappa paper in a fridge box. Can’t remember the name of the hill…?

hey Tubb, It’s Tillf but the worst way is from Verviers to German Prüm,that has dangerous decents.

Cheers Eric,

tiptop495:

Tubbysboy:

tiptop495:
hey, but like the HP 's are Climbing in the future there will be no montains any more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers Eric,

Bet that big one coming out of Liege heading south will never be flattened… Used be in 3rd gear dragging up that in an extremely tired and very gutless FH380 . Loaded with kappa paper in a fridge box. Can’t remember the name of the hill…?

hey Tubb, It’s Tillf but the worst way is from Verviers to German Prüm,that has dangerous decents.

Cheers Eric,

Eric,

Isn’t called Bastogne … Come out of liege ring and then head up and over tones of hills until Lux ?

Great photos there Robert, Ian, and Tubbysboy, I usually find that no matter what the gradient of the hill is, a photo never really does it justice.
There’s a section between Bishkek and Almaty where the hills in the distance get smaller making it look like you are climbing when you are actually descending. Not to bad at night but in the day it’s very deceiving. Coming back the other way your running out of puff and changing down gears where it looks like your going down hill. Not a good experience when your 4000k’s from home.

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Great photos there Robert, Ian, and Tubbysboy, I usually find that no matter what the gradient of the hill is, a photo never really does it justice.
There’s a section between Bishkek and Almaty where the hills in the distance get smaller making it look like you are climbing when you are actually descending. Not to bad at night but in the day it’s very deceiving. Coming back the other way your running out of puff and changing down gears where it looks like your going down hill. Not a good experience when your 4000k’s from home.

Jeff…

Yes Jeff, it’s a shame that the camera ‘flattens’ out the hills!

Thanks Ian Taylor for your contribution above. Indeed I’m grateful to all who have added info and pics to this thread. Amazing how a thread can take off, itsn’t it! Cheers. Robert :laughing:

It doesn’t matter what part of the world your in, on every bad hill there is usually a bad corner that’s known locally as the Devils Elbow.

Jeff…

The A54 to Congleton has some steep climbs if you’re driving a lorry. Another incline that challengers lorry drivers - and in this case I only travelled up it by Jeep - was from Sust on the Karakoram Highway in Pakistan, up to the Chinese border at the Khunjerab Pass. Just thought I’d sneak that in! Robert

pete smith:

Along with Stow Hill and that other one on The Fosse Way just past Northleach where there was a hotel on the bend at the bottom. They all seemed fairly scary especially when you were in a Karrier Bantam but hey when you have just turned eighteen with your elbow sticking out of the window on a nice hot Cotswold summers day you still felt like The King Of The Road and showed No Fear. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

honister slate mine,keswick.■■■■■■■

317258_206929506031999_1449129_n.jpg

mushroomman:

pete smith:

Along with Stow Hill and that other one on The Fosse Way just past Northleach where there was a hotel on the bend at the bottom. They all seemed fairly scary especially when you were in a Karrier Bantam but hey when you have just turned eighteen with your elbow sticking out of the window on a nice hot Cotswold summers day you still felt like The King Of The Road and showed No Fear. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You are so right Mushroomman! It’s all relative. I had a Threepenny-bit lorry overloaded with ballast and got halfway up my mate’s steep winding driveway and ran out of oomph! Scarier than having to change into first on an artic on a road hill! Robert :laughing:

newlands pass,keswick.■■■■■■■

Going down Monte Cenis has got to be up there with some of the best of them.

I agree with you mushroom man

On my way up to the Grand St Bernard Swiss last year !
Seem to go on forever .