Realistically what are my chances?

carryfast-yeti:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:
i passed my class 1 at 23 years old,walked straight into a job at NCL…

I did 1 year shunting and a few years on 7.5s for NCL leicester in the late 70s and early 80s

October '79 i started ROG. had my first day in that white Albion artic with another driver with me…then onto the D series artics…they were great fun…but a bit small. i rolled up at my girlfriends jewellers shop,and she wasn’t impressed :frowning: i’d told her i was on the ‘big’ trucks :laughing:
i fancied taking on one of the Atki Borderers,but couldn’t get near them :frowning: i was quite pally with a black guy called Simon.only stayed a few months,as i wanted to get away from working in town.

Which depot?

dcgpx:

adam277:
Please don’t.

Do a van driving job and see if you enjoy driving for a living first.
There’s a huge difference between driving for fun And driving for a living.

Don’t rush it.
Also class 2 multi drop can be even more of a rat race then van multi drop so just see how you do in the vans to begin with and see if you enjoy it.

In my opinion you can’t really use vans as a comparison.

In most, if not all, van jobs it’s small/medium parcels so your flying round like a loon with no compulsory breaks or limit on hours to take a breather.

Even on multi-drop class 2 it’s a lot less rushing than a bloody van!

I’d say to OP if you really want to do then go for it, get your Class 1 ASAP then if a job comes up then your in a position to try go for it.

Forget the 2yrs crap - apply for everything, you might get an application in at the right time and land a job from it

If anything it’s age that really matters these days, a lot of firms want 25yrs+

I’ve found this is really the insurance stumbling block, not how long licence held

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’m 30 so age shouldn’t be a problem for me then :astonished:

Only thing that’s making me think twice about getting my licences early is employers will consider me very inexperienced even as a normal driver and therefore would never consider me with the responsibility of hauling their shipments? Then by the time I am in a position to be considered, they’ll see I’ve not driven a lorry since passing my test x months ago and that may put them off again? Maybe I’m over thinking it but in all honesty I still think I’m going to take it a little slow.

Pass my driving test and get some kind of normal delivery job even if the pay ■■■■■, just so I have driving experience and can demonstrate I actually enjoy driving.
Then after 6 months, go for my class 2.
Do class 2 work for 1 year and then go for my class 1.

If all goes to plan I could be sitting in a class 1 within 18 months which I think is reasonable and I’d be happy with that.

sammym:
p

I’ve done the supermarket dress.

Pics please. And do you have any thoughts on what I can wear to a September wedding? I was thinking yellow floral, but now I’m not sure…

OP, nothing wrong with getting peoples opinions, but everyone has a different experience. On the main board theres a thread about younger drivers and newo posted to say that at 19 he got a good job after 2 weeks of looking. Conversely, we have had drivers struggle for months. So do what you want to do!

TruckerWannabe123:

dcgpx:

adam277:
Please don’t.

Don’t rush it.
Also class 2 multi drop can be even more of a rat race then van multi drop so just see how you do in the vans to begin with and see if you enjoy it.

In most, if not all, van jobs it’s small/medium parcels so your flying round like a loon with no compulsory breaks or limit on hours to take a breather.

I’d say to OP if you really want to do then go for it, get your Class 1 ASAP then if a job comes up then your in a position to try go for it.

Forget the 2yrs crap - apply for everything, you might get an application in at the right time and land a job from it

I’ve found this is really the insurance stumbling block, not how long licence held

Only thing that’s making me think twice about getting my licences early is employers will consider me very inexperienced even as a normal driver and therefore would never consider me with the responsibility of hauling their shipments? Then by the time I am in a position to be considered, they’ll see I’ve not driven a lorry since passing my test x months ago and that may put them off again? Maybe I’m over thinking it but in all honesty I still think I’m going to take it a little slow.

Pass my driving test and get some kind of normal delivery job even if the pay ■■■■■, just so I have driving experience and can demonstrate I actually enjoy driving.

If all goes to plan I could be sitting in a class 1 within 18 months which I think is reasonable and I’d be happy with that.

As I said before, I took a 23 year old on who had been driving Van’s. He did have some experience from his army days, but that isn’t anything like commercial experience.

He got a job that took all round Europe and Sweden, earning good money, not a stressful job. You can never predict what employers are going to think, so as I said, do what you want to do.

albion:

TruckerWannabe123:

dcgpx:

adam277:
Please don’t.

Don’t rush it.

As I said before, I took a 23 year old on who had been driving Van’s. He did have some experience from his army days, but that isn’t anything like commercial experience.

He got a job that took all round Europe and Sweden, earning good money, not a stressful job. You can never predict what employers are going to think, so as I said, do what you want to do.

Thanks for the encouragement, I’ll consider it :slight_smile:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:
i passed my class 1 at 23 years old,walked straight into a job at NCL…

I did 1 year shunting and a few years on 7.5s for NCL leicester in the late 70s and early 80s

October '79 i started ROG. had my first day in that white Albion artic with another driver with me…then onto the D series artics…they were great fun…but a bit small. i rolled up at my girlfriends jewellers shop,and she wasn’t impressed :frowning: i’d told her i was on the ‘big’ trucks :laughing:
i fancied taking on one of the Atki Borderers,but couldn’t get near them :frowning: i was quite pally with a black guy called Simon.only stayed a few months,as i wanted to get away from working in town.

Which depot?

Leicester…Queen Street i believe it was called.

carryfast-yeti:
great job at Carryfast :smiley: mind you,that was 40 years ago

In 1989 I got a call from ICI Computer Systems of Scarborough asking if I would be interested in doing their Courier work, started off just now and again on urgent jobs and used to see Carryfast come in and load a lot of all sized boxes for them and a very small pile for me, stroll on two and a half years and I would see a very big pile for me and a very little one for Carryfast. Reason was there were far too many dead on arrivals with Carryfast and in the three and a half years I did it … One small box wrongly delivered, value £27.50 …

raymundo:

carryfast-yeti:
great job at Carryfast :smiley: mind you,that was 40 years ago

In 1989 I got a call from ICI Computer Systems of Scarborough asking if I would be interested in doing their Courier work, started off just now and again on urgent jobs and used to see Carryfast come in and load a lot of all sized boxes for them and a very small pile for me, stroll on two and a half years and I would see a very big pile for me and a very little one for Carryfast. Reason was there were far too many dead on arrivals with Carryfast and in the three and a half years I did it … One small box wrongly delivered, value £27.50 …

ah,it all went downhill after 1986 raymundo…when my depot closed down and moved to Bedworth/Nuneaton area…and eventually become part of UPS :frowning:

Get them done and sign up with an agency. Most companies who employ via agencies don’t really care my friend

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk