re agency work

chippy:
Is paying £8 per hour for a class 1 driver a fair and reasonable wage?

It’s what they’re offering. If you don’t think it’s fair or reasonable, don’t do the work. Simple as that.

What I personally think does not come into it. I don’t know where the job is, what it entails, what the hours are. You obviously do, so how’s about a bit more detail? :slight_smile:

gnasty gnome:

chippy:
Is paying £8 per hour for a class 1 driver a fair and reasonable wage?

It’s what they’re offering. If you don’t think it’s fair or reasonable, don’t do the work. Simple as that.

What I personally think does not come into it. I don’t know where the job is, what it entails, what the hours are. You obviously do, so how’s about a bit more detail? :slight_smile:

I am not doing it, not with their attitude. By the way should not the payment be more if under the umbrella? It seems they are paying £8 when under the umbrella. No wonder they can run around cutting up the others.

chippy:
Exactly Scarab. Another point. Why does this agency not give drivers an alternative means of payment rather than umbrella’s? ( It had to be their nominated umbrella). PAYE for instance.

I’ve never ever had to go under an umbrella company. I’ve always been through PAYE and always got holiday pay although once or twice I’ve had to fight for it.

Looks like you need to find another agency - they don’t sound particularly good. An agency should offer you the chance to use an umbrella company IF YOU WANT TO.

chippy:
How much do shelf stackers get paid at the supermarket?

The same or a bit more but they don’t half work for their money. At the moment I get to work, do the daily checks, check the load is secure then pilot the wagon down the road for 3.5-4hrs, swap with an empty trailer, have a break, pilot it back, fuel up and go home. It’s far from hard work.

Conor:

chippy:
How much do shelf stackers get paid at the supermarket?

The same or a bit more but they don’t half work for their money. At the moment I get to work, do the daily checks, check the load is secure then pilot the wagon down the road for 3.5-4hrs, swap with an empty trailer, have a break, pilot it back, fuel up and go home. It’s far from hard work.

Yes but you have a greater responsibility and a professional skill. :wink:

Conor:
Drivers who have been with their respective agencies a while are getting work and lots of it. Those who have just joined will get bits’n’bobs for a while when it’s quiet.

It’s always been like this. At the one I’m currently with, I got odd days here and there for about 2 months. Currently I’m flat out at a time where I’d normally be sat at home.

thats not true, ive been with one of mine for a year and the work just suddenly stopped, ive had one weeks work in the last month and a bit and i keep getting the same old “were quiet” even though they said they are getting work in its just they aint sending any my way.

one of the other agencies im with ive gave up cause ive onnly had one shift from them in nearly 3 months

i have been with my agency a few days short of a year, and apart from Feb have been almost full on, with perhaps 2 or 3 quiet weeks (still work, but perhaps only 3 days)

I have gone out of my way to make myself as available as possible, and take on short notice jobs (3am calls). I now get asked for by at least 3 companies, which is nice.

All this despite me making life hard for the agency by having to have a random 2 days off each week to look after my daughter, they have still managed to fit me in on most occasions.

I have heard several drivers moan about the agency, but then i have heard how they speak to them, so not a surprise they dont get the work.

Happy with my lot, so far

nick2008:
Just a quick one for those that haven thought of it

When at a customer ie tesco sainsbury DHL etc etc as you finish your shift ask them if they want you the following day

The reply you`ll probably get is “speak to your agency”