rates??

130p per mile

What do ye think of that. Can I make a living from this?

No offence ment matt but if you have a calculater try 1.30 per mile at 7 to the gallon at 5.50 a gallon or what ever it is at the min on a empty return at 150 miles each way and have A think about it ? It can’t work.

Matt32:
130p per mile

What do ye think of that. Can I make a living from this?

Yeah in a transit

no offence taken Dan.

So what in people minds is the min rate per mile?

Matt32:
no offence taken Dan.

So what in people minds is the min rate per mile?

£10 per mile ! LOL ! But you’ll never get it !

£2.50 p/m roundtrip.

Reality though is, there are muppets running at half that.

Surely the only way to cost jobs is your base costs (standing and running) plus a profit. As I , and others have mentioned, there is plenty of work out there and you can be a busy fool. Chose the work that pays not work that keeps you busy. Work as a consultant is be beckoning. What do they say about consultants, they steal your watch and charge you to tell the time.

Matt,

You’re clearly keen to get on and get stuck in etc but please…just take a minute or day out to work out these figures properly or go and see somebody who can help you work them out. Rule of thumbs are great but they can make you go either side of the profit or loss line and with so much risk and cost involved with running a truck IMO, it’s just not worth it. Good luck though :slight_smile:

matt you stated that you had all your costs and expenses ect worked out. so you should be able to work out what you need to charge out to make your business profitable. this is assuming you have regular work, but your are asking a question that nobody can answer without knowing your type of business. it could be ppm, per ton, per pallet, per day,
per load, yearly contract, ad hoc the list goes on and on but basically its the costs of your day to day running plus overheads plus wages and a profit and then you will arrive at a figure you need to earn per month/per year to make it a profitable enterprise. its a bit more complicated than that but that’s about it in anybodys language

weewulliewinkie:
matt you stated that you had all your costs and expenses ect worked out. so you should be able to work out what you need to charge out to make your business profitable. this is assuming you have regular work, but your are asking a question that nobody can answer without knowing your type of business. it could be ppm, per ton, per pallet, per day,
per load, yearly contract, ad hoc the list goes on and on but basically its the costs of your day to day running plus overheads plus wages and a profit and then you will arrive at a figure you need to earn per month/per year to make it a profitable enterprise. its a bit more complicated than that but that’s about it in anybodys language

Yes, that’s just about it. The OP needs to work out what the gross earnings of the truck will be, how much diesel he will use earning it, and what his standing charges will be. Subtract the second two from the first one and that’s what he’ll be left with.

Harry Monk:

weewulliewinkie:

Yes, that’s just about it. The OP needs to work out what the gross earnings of the truck will be, how much diesel he will use earning it, and what his standing charges will be. Subtract the second two from the first one and that’s what he’ll be left with.

And as a generalisation, what net profit should he be aiming for?

Lusk:

Harry Monk:

weewulliewinkie:

And as a generalisation, what net profit should he be aiming for?

£1000 per week after wages is a good starting point, I’d say. :sunglasses:

Goaty:
£1000 per week after wages is a good starting point, I’d say. :sunglasses:

sounds about right

Whats that in percentage terms?

Most general hauliers post around 3%profit pa!!.

just over 35%

kr79:

if i was making 81quid a week profit then somethings wrong

If it paid £1,000 a week profit after wages then everybody would be queueing up to do it. :wink:

My average weekly turnover is £2,250 and I work on the basis of £150 a week profit after wages. £1,000 diesel, £600 standing costs, £500 wages.

Well women who 5hag for nowt and folks who work for nowt will never be stuck for something to do .

chaversdad:

kr79:

if i was making 81quid a week profit then somethings wrong

That’s what manys accounts show. what HM has posted work out almost 6% so he’s doing ok don’t think they would be ripping your arm off on dragons den but if it’s what you know there is a living to be made as a o/d