R Hanson and Son Wakefield

Sutcliffes.JPG

Stanfield:
Yorkshireman.
Is this the Hansons you are thinking of with the AECs & Drawbars.These were once owned by Lord Hanson.(Red livery)
Its amazing what you find on the net :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: hope its the one you wanted.

JOHN.

Memories. How many times has the top layer been “taken off” by the railway bridge on the Doncaster Rd. at Ackworth. Harrison of Dewsbury pulled the same trick regularly.
:blush: bloody shunter has loaded it too high again. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

The bloke filling the AEC with diesel was called George Watson, and i think Percy Summerscales and a chap called George Washington had their own wagons in Hansons livery but with their name on working for Hanson’s

One from Thorne’s park Wakefield.

Wakefield show 2012 019.JPG

The restored Hanson eight legger atki looks really good

SHYTOT:
The restored Hanson eight legger atki looks really good

Not only good, it looks like it’s straight out of the box new. It’s a credit to whoever has done it.

Thanks for coming up with the Foden James, I’ve not seen this photo ever come up before now.
I like the little black “tare weight” patch they had on the side of the body.

TIPIT:
Thanks for coming up with the Foden James, I’ve not seen this photo ever come up before now.
I like the little black “tare weight” patch they had on the side of the body.

Drove one for 3 months on Tarmac from tunstead they were pigs to sheet up the Tarmac was like a mole hill on the body floor. They had 3 on the yard at Chapel Dave Jones’s dad drove one for a while. Only had a hinged step on the body which you can see just behind the cab. Is your dad still going.

i recall when ici tarmac tok off jim , i was on the brs contract . one or two of the older fodens were pressed into service with the taildoors cut down so they could tip on the barber greens . i think derek arnfield had one of those , he used to tear about the quarry playing tunes on the 12 speed . we were all mad as hatters . cheers , dave

JAMESWILSON:

Cheers for these will send them on to my dad :smiley:

Also noticed my email adress is now wrong just incase anyone tried emailing but it says I started this topic in 2005 which is hard to believe !!!

One I took on Standage

rigsby:
i recall when ici tarmac tok off jim , i was on the brs contract . one or two of the older fodens were pressed into service with the taildoors cut down so they could tip on the barber greens . i think derek arnfield had one of those , he used to tear about the quarry playing tunes on the 12 speed . we were all mad as hatters . cheers , dave

Were you on one of the little artics with the dump trailers. Remember winter we used to draw up to the cement plant rotary kiln to keep warm.

yes i started on brs , but the job was rubbish , the artics just weren’t any good for barber greens , moved over to bucktons for a spell , and then left and went on distance work for turner bros . i remember barry boam at bucktons , i think he was some kind of foreman driver . i think you must know me , i did 16 years on and off for hazel croft , last spell on the arctic brick crane , did a lot for steve morton on the bag deliveries . didn’ you used to have repairs done at hazelcroft ? cheers , dave

240 Gardner:

montydog:
Is this the same Hansons as Hanson haulage out of Huddersfield in te 70’s?

No - that one is what Lord Hanson (of ICI) used to refer to as “the family firm”, and it is still going today.

Hanson Haulage ran under the Red with gold lettering livery, Hanson Transport used to be a Green livery. Both became seperat entities in the early 70’s The “Red side” being part of the NFC/BRS group of co’s. Mainly a parcel delivery co, also did groupage for many docks before the days of containers, had depots in Pudsey, Widnes, & London. they employed a lot of “Away Based” drivers who lived in their delivery area & had a van trunked to them during the night.
The “Green Side” stayed under the Hanson family ownership & has since restored the old Red/Gold family livery to their fleet

danny_mk2:
Hanson was based just up the road from Newmillerdam in Barnsley/Wakefield (green motors) and were sold out to Hargreaves in 2004 i think, But from what my dad was saying they were a big firm back in the day

Your dad was right,they did all the yorkshire pits,always immaculate ,if my memory serves me right a good precentage were Atkinsons.

Hansons also purchased the bulk powder tanker fleet of the late great Sam Longson of Chapel-en-le-Frith some time in the mid '70s I think. The fleet was renamed and painted in the same style as the Wakefield operation but retained Longsons cream and brown colouring. Their first artic was a very early 401 which arrived in the orangey brown stripey paint job that Sed Ak used at the time.