QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

O.k., here’s a question. It isn’t transport related I’m afraid, in fact, it may be perceived as being politically related, but given that the Brexit referendum thread is currently at page 103, and it would therefore appear that quite a number of members on here have moderate to strong political convictions, then I may be forgiven for asking the following question, and here it is,

Given that what appears, to me at least, to be the majority of the population of the landmass that comprises Eire and Northern Ireland seem to be in favour of a United Ireland, what then are the benefits to England of hanging on to NI as part of the UK? Would a referendum on Irish unity be in order at this stage I wonder?

There it is then, a straightforward question. I’m not looking for an argument, nor am I inviting a mind bending tirade from a certain politically motivated gentleman who shall remain nameless. It’s merely a question that I’ve pondered for many years and although a definitive answer may prove to be elusive, a persuasive suggestion or two may help to settle a few issues that have been troubling me for a while.

I’ve just watched a programme on TV about the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688.That will probably cover what you need to know.

Gidders:
I’ve just watched a programme on TV about the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688.That will probably cover what you need to know.

I’ve not seen that, and will take your word that it’s worth a watch. I’ll
The “problem” is that Eddie’s question is nice and simple, but Anglo/Irish history has no quick simple answers.
And yes, you’ve got to look back to William of Orange to see where the present situation comes from.

King Billy is the reason we have the Irish Backstop question in Brexit talks…
See? It’s all a carefully laid out plan!
:wink:

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I thought it was a very good programme, giving answers to questions that no-one seems to ask nowadays. I believe that the reason we hang on to the “six counties” is that the population want to remain British. Don’t ask me how this decision came about- did they have a referendum in recent times?

Retired Old ■■■■:
I thought it was a very good programme, giving answers to questions that no-one seems to ask nowadays. I believe that the reason we hang on to the “six counties” is that the population want to remain British. Don’t ask me how this decision came about- did they have a referendum in recent times?

Could we assume that previously the 48% Protestant population would want to remain in the UK while the 45% Catholic pop would want to unite with Eire? Bit of a crude measure.
But in the referendum 58% of the N.I. vote was for remain. So, would a hard Brexit see a swing towards leaving the UK?

Chris Webb:
Here’s a question.

How can I find out the UK hours/driving regs from 1968 up to 1982 ? I have searched but to no avail.

I have found stuff in the past Chris, you need to look up things like 1963 Transport Act or 1968 there were a lot of changes. HGV licensing. A B C etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem goes back to the time of the partition when the 6 counties were retained as part of the UK ( not England) and this mainly came about because the Northern part of Ireland was mainly populated by the influx of Scottish immigrants over the years who were definitely not of the RC persuasion and they wished to remain as part of the UK. At that time the RC population in the 6 Counties were, very much, in the minority which, of course, has been gradually watered down over the years since partition in 1922. But from what I have gathered Eire do not a united Ireland because they will open themselves up to a new phase of sectarian turmoil and they will be on their own without any help from the Mainland ! Just my understanding of the problem others may hold differing opinions ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I think the problem goes back to the time of the partition when the 6 counties were retained as part of the UK ( not England) and this mainly came about because the Northern part of Ireland was mainly populated by the influx of Scottish immigrants over the years who were definitely not of the RC persuasion and they wished to remain as part of the UK. At that time the RC population in the 6 Counties were, very much, in the minority which, of course, has been gradually watered down over the years since partition in 1922.

Not much to argue with there.

Bewick:
But from what I have gathered Eire do not a united Ireland because they will open themselves up to a new phase of sectarian turmoil and they will be on their own without any help from the Mainland !

But would question that bit.
Especially about no support for Eire from the mainland: the EU seems very supportive to me.

:wink:

Can you drive a tractor unit without a trailer on a class2 licence or whatever they call them now?

ramone:
Can you drive a tractor unit without a trailer on a class2 licence or whatever they call them now?

Yes.

Franglais:

ramone:

Yes.

Is that 100% definite? Our transport manager is saying different i said you could

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:
Here’s a question.
How can I find out the UK hours/driving regs from 1968 up to 1982 ? I have searched but to no avail.

I have found stuff in the past Chris, you need to look up things like 1963 Transport Act or 1968 there were a lot of changes. HGV licensing. A B C etc
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afternoon, this is the nearest i an get to your 1982 (as you can see this is 1992) if you need any pages printed off i can send them if you PM me or I can pop them on here. Harvey

ramone:

Franglais:

ramone:

Yes.

Is that 100% definite? Our transport manager is saying different i said you could

There have been other threads about it. You’ll find chapter and verse somwhere for sure.
A tractor unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle. That’s all there is to it.
Might not be a clever idea to pass a test in a small 4wheel auto and then jump into a 8wheel manual heavy haulage tractor, but it’s legal.

Franglais:

ramone:

Franglais:

ramone:

Yes.

Good morning, My understanding is that you would be right if it was just a 6x2 chassis cab because it is a 26 tonner waiting for something to be put on its back to be able to go to work.
If you have a fith wheel on it,it is capable of working at its design weight and is therefore bodied up and you would need the appropriate license.
Many years ago I had issues with the law when I took a tractor unit 4x2 with a tar weight of 6.5 tons allong a road with a weight restriction of 7.5 tons, result: after some time on the phone they let me go with, dont do it again or we will put it to a test case. That hinged on the trucks capability because it had a fith wheel and could oporate at (38 ton, as was the case then).
So you could all be right or wrong, My council would be to get it in writing by a higher authority, lot cheaper than getting it wrong. Harvey

HRS:

Franglais:

ramone:

Franglais:

ramone:

Yes.

Good morning, My understanding is that you would be right if it was just a 6x2 chassis cab because it is a 26 tonner waiting for something to be put on its back to be able to go to work.
If you have a fith wheel on it,it is capable of working at its design weight and is therefore bodied up and you would need the appropriate license.
Many years ago I had issues with the law when I took a tractor unit 4x2 with a tar weight of 6.5 tons allong a road with a weight restriction of 7.5 tons, result: after some time on the phone they let me go with, dont do it again or we will put it to a test case. That hinged on the trucks capability because it had a fith wheel and could oporate at (38 ton, as was the case then).
So you could all be right or wrong, My council would be to get it in writing by a higher authority, lot cheaper than getting it wrong. Harvey

The licence makes little mention of vehicle weights.
Only whether or not the vehicle is actually towing a trailer.
No trailer=No problem.

But of course, no problems with taking extra advice elsewhere.
:slight_smile:

Probably to do with down-plating and down-classing. If you down-plate a 40-tonner to a 24-tonner then it is subject to the lower weight restrictions. However, I’ve never heard of a C+E unit being down-classed unless it has been reconstructed as a rigid. Robert

A word to the wise.
In the uk, if you give somone advise, in the eyes of the law you have accepted responsibility (as you have judged yourself an expert) in the outcome of that advise.
Be very careful in how you word your advise people, no offence chaps. Harvey

ramone:

Franglais:

ramone:

Yes.

Some companies (eg the one I work for) have their own internal policies which say that only a C+E licence holder can drive a tractor unit, but that’s not what the law says.

LGV licence groups are based on the Gross Weight of the vehicle, which for a solo 3-axle tractor unit will normally be 26 tonnes - so a group C licence is required.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi all. I was always led to believe that to drive a tractor unit on a class 2 licence the fifth wheel had to be removed so that made the said vehicle incapable of tow a trailer thus making it illegal if a trailer should suddenly find it’s self attached.The same as where i used to work the fitter’s van had the tow bar removed so they did not come under tacho rules.I do accept that i could be wrong about this so only what i have dragged out of the back of my memory so don’t take my word on it get proper legal advice PLEASE. :smiley:

When I was an apprentice we had a Bedford TK tractor unit that weighed 2ton 19cwt IIRC (just under 3ton) but plated at 20 ton train weight. An under 3 ton tractor did not require a driver with an HGV licence when without trailer.