Question re: manual gearbox

norb:

Cotswoldcrunch:
Norb, I had the bearing go on a 12 speed Eaton on the Alpha I drove. it was a very interesting experience trying to change on Birdlip Hill, considering two of the gearbox mounts sheared shortly after…

I’m a jock and what where you doing up Birdip Hill :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Doesn’t that place have a reputation :smiley:

Problem with failed bearings is the shaft then is basically floating up and down and back and forth

I’m not a Jock I just had my passport stamped to deliver flour up there every 12 weeks (but Ido enjoy working up there) :smiley:
Yes Birdlip does have a reputation (off the A419) I was going up the A417 Brockworth Bypass when the Alpha started jumping out of gear. In the end any gears off 1 or 3 wouldn’t stay in. Thankfully the Cat motor in it was happy to go up in other gears. :laughing:

rob22888:
Tried the trick of flicking the range change switch up and down & it worked a treat. :smiley:

Tricks of the trade eh?

You may find that when you’re changing range you are unwittingly waggling the stick a bit or if the gearbox is a bit knackered you may find waggling the stick in a certain way improves things.

irishbatch:
Try selecting reverse first then try your forward gear

and watch the blood drain from the face of the car driver sat 2ft from your rear bumper :laughing:

range change usually works for me too