Question for Cliff or Alex?

allikat:
Fix up the US immegration “policy” and I’ll take a job down there tomorrow. Until then, I’ll stay in Canada.

They have a great immigration policy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: But it needs to get a lot tougher :exclamation:

This country is wonderfull :slight_smile: I know I knock it a lot when I am feeling let down etc, but when I really look at things it is actually a far better place than the UK to live in.

I lived in England all my life and was forever paying out, except when I worked for Fed Ex and Tesco life was a struggle. My last job paid more than both of them put together but I was away for months on end.
When I moved here 5 years ago I lived on the equity from the sale of the house back there, which wasn’t much, because my ex wife saw to that :angry: . It took me 18 months to get a green card and work, but after 9/11 I was unemployed for 8 more months. You could say that in less than 3 years of driving a truck here things have become far better than back in the UK :exclamation: I have a good job with very good pay, security, and full health insurance for the whole family, all the bills are paid on time and now we own a beautiful new home with 3 large bedrooms, a very modern large kitchen, a large dining room, a study, living room, 2 bathrooms, a jaccuzi and a 25ft swimming pool,

I could NEVER have that driving a truck back there. :smiley:

I agree pat, with everything except your statement about immegration policy. Just needs a reworking from the ground up. No way for people without less than 3 degrees to get in easily. Ho hum…

Alli, I’m sorry to offend you in any way but pulling trailers around country lanes and fields can’t be seen as class A experience. Companies here demand either a full CDL A training course or at least to years ‘On the road’ experience.
Allthough I got a great deal of help from the company I now work for, I still had to provide written proof of over 2 years class 1 driving in the UK + Uk job references.
Even with all the years of experience I had in the UK and Europe, nothing can prepare a driver for busy inner city highways over here. :exclamation: Try driving up the NJ Pike in nose to tail traffic all doing about 65 mph and taking up all 6 northbound lanes.
You may think you have experience, but believe me ----------- you havn’t experienced anything yet :exclamation:

Hi you guys,
Thought i’d come back on here. It’s been a while.
My previous non-deplume was SteveTheBulker.
I’m now residing in beautiful Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, driving all over Canada & the Excited States of America.
I’ll not wax lyrical about my exploits but i’m having a whale of a time over here. Making good money, mainly because i’m on the road all the time.
Yes, it’s completely different to driving back in England, BUT, I have a better way of life over here.
Yes, at the moment it’s COLD & driving around the cities is an experience to say the least, Hauling a 53’ trailer around some cities is a nightmare but, it’s not as bad as driving in London, Birmingham. There just doesn’t seem to be a highway code over here, especially south of the border, but, just get on with it.
Thanks for the phone call Pat, i’ll try & pop in a bit more often.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
Steve :sunglasses:

Anytime Mate :smiley:

I reaaly appreciate the way you seem to be conveying the truth to everyone. As you said on the phone, it’s a single guy’s job.

Believe me Steve, your gonna get a lot colder :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dunno why your going back to Geordie land for Christmas :question: They sell Newcastle Brown across the street here … on the bottles it say’s “MADE IN ENGLAND” (not made in Britain) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PS ;- Have a safe trip Steve and a merry christmas :laughing:

Pat, if the symbol you saw looks at all like this:

\  /\  /
 \/  \/
 /\  /\
|  ||  |
|  ||  |
 \/  \/

(it’s the only symbol in th manual for a '99 volvo that was close to your description)
It’s the engine preheat glowplugs.

Steve,
I’m just interested in how you figure you’re having a better way of life when you admit your virtually living in your truck full time :question: :open_mouth:

Big truck, I talked for some time to Steve last week, he was in New Holand PA. He is a single guy and is raking in the dollars, seeing nearly all of the US, He loves the life, it is suited to some guys. In my last job back there I would be away for months and loved every minute of it. Steve feels the same way.

Alli, Thanks for the comeback, :slight_smile: YES :exclamation: that is the symbol is saw, but trucks here do not have pre heat plugs, so I supose it must have been a fault, whatever it was it hasn’t returned :laughing:

allikat:

\  /\  /

/ /
/\ /
| || |
| || |
/ /

(it's the only symbol in th manual for a '99 volvo that was close to your description)
It's the engine preheat glowplugs.

Umm…big diesels don’t have glowplugs…

They do in Europe Alex, thats why Scania’s, Volvo’s etc have night heaters abd don’t plug in … a far better system :slight_smile:

BigTruck:

As Pat says, the job over here is really NOT for a family man or woman (lets not be sexist :smiley: )
My point is, it’s a whole lot cheaper to live over here, houses, cars & it’s not like the rat-race it is over in England. I can travel for miles without seeing another soul, totally stress free :sunglasses:
When was the last time you were going down the road & thought to yourself, hey, i’m passing Vegas, think i’ll stop here for a good few hours?
The sights i’ve seen & places i’ve been you just couldn’t afford, even if you won the lottery 5 times!!!
I enjoy driving, & I do my damndest to be as safe & responsible as possible, it’s what I want to do & it’s what i’m doing. Making a lot of money & enjoying my job.
When was the last time you could say that?
You wanted to know

Try doing it over here for close to 15 years and you might not be so wrapped up in the adventure of it all, believe me, the novelty will start wearing off after a while wether you are single or married, as the saying goes…been there, done that, got the ’ T ’ Shirt :wink:

As for sights and places, most of ther ones I’ve seen were through my windscreen, when freight has to be delivered, you don’t have time to stop and sight see for a few days! Unless of course you already won the lottery five times, the truck is yours and load don’t matter :wink:

As for the houses being cheaper, of course they are!, they’re built cheaper, using cheap materials, using materials that have to be replaced every 10-12 years or so. House don’t last over here either and nor do they appreciate in value as they do back home. Cars are cheaper, yes. But the overall cost of living is’nt any cheaper, not in the States it’s not.

Thanks Steve,
Been to Vegas could only stick it for 3 days did my head in!!! Also been to LA,SF, Palm Springs and loved San Diego (SP).I quite enjoyed Miami and Key West too.Lived all over the midwest for 6 months in 2002,I just couldn’t figure how living in a truck/truckstop (even though your seeing the “sights”) could be a better way of life!!

Cliff,
Thanks for the advice, but unlike yourself, I have no intention of returning to England unless it’s to go back & see the family.
I’ve wanted to move out here for a very long time, as I posted before I did.
I’m not going to drive trucks for the remainder of my working life. I have plans & goals to achieve. Maybe until i’m 50, in 10 years time. When I would like to start my own business in Fish Guiding.
I was virtually born in a truck, my father used to take me out with him from A VERY early age. I’ve seen a lot of changes in the industry over the years. I achieved excellent results in my exams at school, i’ve worked in a variety of different jobs, welding, machine operator, painting & decorating & driving & driving is what I’ve wanted to do. I paid for all my training & tests.
This isn’t just so I can say “I’ve driven trucks in Canada & the States” it just so happens it was a way of getting into Canada & achieving my “Landed Status” & possible "Citizenship.
Why does everyone compare the 3 countries? I’ve travelled the world to many different countries & i’ve adapted to their cultures & way of life.
As the saying goes: “When in Rome…?”
So please Cliff, keep wearing your T-Shirt & if it wears out buy a new one.
I know what I want out of my life & if it’s SO bad over here, why are you still here?

P.S.
As you know “Canadians” are not allowed to run interstate, a load is not always there for you the moment you tip. So you park up & visit & explore the town or city that you are parked in untill your return load to Canada is available.
I don’t just sit & vegitate in my truck in a truckstop.

Without prejudice

AlexxInNY:

allikat:

\  /\  /

/ /
/\ /
| || |
| || |
/ /

(it's the only symbol in th manual for a '99 volvo that was close to your description)
It's the engine preheat glowplugs.

Umm…big diesels don’t have glowplugs…

No idea what it means then, but that’s the symbol explanation in the owner’s manual for the '99 volvo tractor outside…
Edit: The tractor in question has a volvo D12 engine (at 425hp) and a night heater!

Geordieboy:
Cliff,
Thanks for the advice, but unlike yourself, I have no intention of returning to England
Why does everyone compare the 3 countries? I’ve travelled the world to many different countries & i’ve adapted to their cultures & way of life.
As the saying goes: “When in Rome…?”
So please Cliff, keep wearing your T-Shirt & if it wears out buy a new one.
I know what I want out of my life & if it’s SO bad over here, why are you still here?

P.S.
As you know “Canadians” are not allowed to run interstate, a load is not always there for you the moment you tip. So you park up & visit & explore the town or city that you are parked in untill your return load to Canada is available.
I don’t just sit & vegitate in my truck in a truckstop.

Without prejudice

I’m here because I have three young children, as I’m not a deadbeat Dad, I’m going to be here for as long as I need to be to support them, because their Mother sure as hell would’nt have the gumption to do it!, and that is the only reason I’m here. Yes! after 15 years I do hate the bloody place. :angry:

No Intention of returning to England eh?, I hope once you have denied your nationality and become a foreign citizen you never have the need to reclaim it. Personally I think people who give it up, should lose it for ever, and must always be treated as an immigrant everytime they return to the UK. (would’nt that be poetic justice, for someone to be denied entry to country of their birth, because they became a ’ foreigner ’ ) :laughing:

And as for the saying ’ when in Rome… I’ll treat that with the contempt it deserves. :laughing: ( I don’ t ’ do’ native ) :wink:

Yeah I forgot about that cabotage deal, we were the same when we were in Canada, we would wait for a load back to the Sates, I would spend all weekend exploring Toronto or wherever. I was never a one to vegetate in Truckstops either, I still don’t , I cannot understand the mentality of the people who seem to think the ’ be all & end all’ of life on the road is to spend their every spare moment in and around a Truckstop, what I call the ’ Truckstop lifestyle mentality '.

So good luck with your fish guide career, I have my career, and thats Trucking :wink: :smiley: :laughing: .