Punishment Trucks

This was pure punishment ,Brs Oxford’s workshop shunter for mot’s ,it even struggled with a flat trailer .

IndigoJo:

trevHCS:

peirre:
…you should try agency work

I know, I do every day hence being able to predict the problems it’ll have before starting it. :slight_smile:

I can imagine the old timers forum having a field day with all the ■■■■■■■ and ERF’s they used to drive vs the “comforts” of the wrecked ones we sometimes drive. Have seen an old ERF rigid which is used 5 days a week by a guy who parks it beside all the modern ones in one company I work for locally. Does look in seriously good nick and seems to keep going but also looks a tad basic inside.

Btw, when did Ford last make trucks (not those American pickup-“trucks”) as that was the last time he apparently thought about changing it.

As for Iveco, learned to drive class 1 in one of those but it was pretty new (and orange), but think the only one I actually driven in anger was a 7.5T flatbed so I guess that doesn’t strictly count.

Ford still do make trucks in Turkey. We sometimes see Cargo artics on the road here, always left hand drive of course as they don’t make them for the British market. Their UK truck plant at Langley near Slough, a joint venture with Iveco, closed in 1997 and the parts were shipped out to India where old-style Cargos are still made (or at least a truck based on it). Iveco used to own AL but sold out to the Hindujas.

I had the pleasure of taking one of these new fords to spain and back a few years ago.

Interior was out of a old ford transit, cab was narrow and uncomfortable. But it didnt go to badly. Not sure if it had a iveco engine in it.

As said, there made in turkey, the roads on the road are mainly all turk registerd but there are a few on uk plates.

Jakey, i presume you worked in the Oxford area during the period of that fine pic of the Guy, and yes some Guy’s had really small unblown engines, bigJ i drove regularly would be down to 12mph on some not especially steep hills :open_mouth:

Offtopic for a mo, but there used to be a haulier at Bicester around the 70s and 80’s who ran British motors like that, also IIRC the odd Crusader, their livery being battleship grey.
I’ve racked what loosely passes for me brains for years trying to recall their name, i think the name was double barrelled not cos posh more than likely two partner’s names but that might easily not be the case at all :blush:

Any ideas please?

Hello Juddian,

Yes Started on the YTS (youth training scheme) with Brs Oxford in 1984 and we still had this one and another one with a 180 Gardner which was a lot better than the white one .

Not sure I recall the firm you are on about but I will have a think , its the colour you say which is throwing me out .

Jakey, the name of that company has bugged me for years, though i have a feeling they disappeared in the early 80’s so you might have to ask some even older than us old buggers :open_mouth: , i remember seeing them regularly on the A43/34 as we sat in the interminable jams before the 34 got dualled all the way to the new M40 and the jams shifted a few miles :wink:

I have a feeling they worked out of Cowley a fair bit though can’t confirm that cos i seldom went down that side of Oxford in those days, but almost sure they used to carry the sort of stillages that car factories would use, not sure if they worked out of Pressed Steel, or was that Howard Tenens back then?..my memory’s not getting any better :blush:

Juddian, I know Howard tenens ,dines ,brs and others had a crack at Leyland’s Cowley , I am still thinking :laughing:

You could look here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37772 all 96 pages of it.

I asked the same question on that thread Santa, but no one replied.
Beginning to wonder if i bloody imagined it now.
I noticed the vehicles because where i worked at the time we ran similar all Brit fleet, so it was interesting to see the same lorries.

Hmm Jakey, Dines weren’t from Bicester were they?, why does that name ring a bell? i suppose the double barrel name i’m thinking of could have been xxxxx of Bicester.

Bugger i is old ■■■■ losing his marbles :cry:

BRS Langley Mill had a Seddon of similar vintage as their shunter back in the mid-80’s; I ended up on it occasionally when I worked there as a forkie, excellent grounding in the art of clutch control and “mandraulic” steering!

Cavewood? iirc they changed colour after the takeover by Geodis, back in the day I think they ran Guy Invincible units

splitshift:
Cavewood? iirc they changed colour after the takeover by Geodis, back in the day I think they ran Guy Invincible units

Doesn’t ring a bell for who i’m thinking of, i remember seeing lots of Cavewood motors about.

Juddian:

splitshift:

Doesn’t ring a bell for who i’m thinking of, i remember seeing lots of Cavewood motors about.

Bennets,I think later change to Interoute,seems to ring a bell with me, not sure if it was Bicester and then moved to Thame.

JAKEY:
This was pure punishment ,Brs Oxford’s workshop shunter for mot’s ,it even struggled with a flat trailer .

We had F & G reg Big J 220 ■■■■■■■ on general work at Mortons (brs) in Coventry.
When we progressed onto Seddons with 220 Rolls Eagles, we thought we where doing well because the engine cover was padded :laughing: :laughing:
Hardest part with those two motors was keeping your transistor radio secured with a bungey strap,and keeping your cushion from coming out the cab with you every time you got out. :laughing: :laughing:

lolipop:

Juddian:

splitshift:

Bennets,I think later change to Interoute,seems to ring a bell with me, not sure if it was Bicester and then moved to Thame.

Not sure, how come on telly the prosecution barrister asks some poor bugger where he was at 1737hrs on the 2nd Jan 1973 and every bugger reels off the precise series of events, i can’t remember what i did yesterday :open_mouth:

Juddian:

lolipop:

Juddian:

splitshift:

Not sure, how come on telly the prosecution barrister asks some poor bugger where he was at 1737hrs on the 2nd Jan 1973 and every bugger reels off the precise series of events, i can’t remember what i did yesterday :open_mouth:

Bennets were grey

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Juddian:

Bet you could in 1973 though. It’s called getting old mate. :grimacing:

Aston Clinton haulage? this ones for the motor sport enthusiasts, birthplace of the Aston Martin?

James.908:

Bennets were grey

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Were they by God, Bennets of Bicester, i wonder?

Sidevalve:

Juddian:

Bet you could in 1973 though. It’s called getting old mate. :grimacing:

In 73 i was usually getting caught for summat or other :blush:

Was in me banger racing heyday then, which possibly explains quite a lot.

JAKEY:

Jakey you mere pup I started my life as a YOP lol…