Pubs that were actually on the Woodhead pss

ROCHY:
Hi Chris.
My old man worked for Beards Millers in Worksop, a small family owned mill. They had eight wagons in total six four wheeler flat bodies and two bulk tankers.
ROCHY

Hi ROCHY.

I don’t remember Beards,only Smiths in Worksop,who were taken over by somebody,can’t recall who.

Chris Webb:

fodenway:
You’ve got the location of the Crown spot-on Chris. I think it was still on the go in the fifties, the building shows up in lots of photos of the railway taken around the time of the electrification in 1954, might even have lingered until the M62 opened. Somebody on here might be able to fill in the blanks. The George and Dragon also seems to have outlasted most of the others. I’ll be over Woodhead again tonight, always an interesting trip.

I have all the books about the Woodhead line,I’ll endeavour to scrutinise the pictures more closely.
I never got tired of using Woodhead,I first used it in 1967 and years later I was on regular nights for MFS Maltby 1979-86 and used it with my wagon and drag. I used to hate going M62 when it was closed. Machins,Redfearns,Cutts,Bass Charrington and various Lincs and Norfolk market lads were regulars at night.Happy days.

The Crown was on the flat piece of land opposite the small lay-by.Down in the bottom was where the Woodhead railway tunnels started on the west side. The photo is not mine.

woodhead29.jpg

I did a job when I was 17 running soil with a tractor n trailer from tor side car park and tipping on the access rd to the sub station in the above picture ,and still a good sandwich in the lay by at Vals :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
I did a job when I was 17 running soil with a tractor n trailer from tor side car park and tipping on the access rd to the sub station in the above picture ,and still a good sandwich in the lay by at Vals :laughing:

I remember going by train from Sheffield Victoria to Ashburys which was the station for Belle Vue,before the line was electrified in 1954. Does that make me an old chuff? :laughing:
At one time you could turn off the A628 and go to Glossop via the side of the reservoir,over the Torside level crossing,with a wagon,but I expect there’s a weight limit now.

Don’t think the owners of the dog and partridge would be enamoured of me and my lorry turning into there car park for the night.
Pity, top class food.

Parked in lay by opposite and went in for a meal a few years ago.
Good night until I woke to find I was half a tank of diesel missing in the morning!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

mat79:
Parked in lay by opposite and went in for a meal a few years ago.
Good night until I woke to find I was half a tank of diesel missing in the morning!!

This would be the lay by then mat,just up the road on the right.

bloomer14.jpg

That’s the one

Chris Webb:

Punchy Dan:

I remember going by train from Sheffield Victoria to Ashburys which was the station for Belle Vue,before the line was electrified in 1954. Does that make me an old chuff? :laughing:
At one time you could turn off the A628 and go to Glossop via the side of the reservoir,over the Torside level crossing,with a wagon,but I expect there’s a weight limit now.

Morning Chris,
A pic of Torside Level Crossing, not a very good road in a van never mind a lorry Chris! Cheer’s Pete
Edit,It looks like there is no watter in the reservoir Chris!

pete smith:

Chris Webb:

Punchy Dan:

Morning Chris,
A pic of Torside Level Crossing, not a very good road in a van never mind a lorry Chris! Cheer’s Pete

Nice photo Pete,probably taken in 1975 or 1976 when that drought was on. I used it a couple of times with an 8-legger as we had a drop at BXL Barnsley then one at either Charlesworth near Glossop or Bollington when on BP Saltend job in 1970.

Chris Webb:

pete smith:

Chris Webb:

Punchy Dan:

Morning Chris,

Nice photo Pete,probably taken in 1975 or 1976 when that drought was on. I used it a couple of times with an 8-legger as we had a drop at BXL Barnsley then one at either Charlesworth near Glossop or Bollington when on BP Saltend job in 1970.

And no,I’m not the driver of the Class 01 loco……………… :smiley: The two outside tracks were really 4 mile long loops to put freight trains in and let passenger traffic through. I always wanted to be an engine driver but me eyes weren’t far enough apart. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

woodhead11.jpg

Hi guys, my first post (on an old thread I know) but I have a list of the Inn’s over the Woodhead from the Flouch inn through to Tintwistle in times gone by. In order I have them as, Flouch, Dog & Partridge, Salters Brook, Crown Inn, Angel Inn, George and Dragon, Tollemache Arms, Commercial Inn and the Quiet Shepherd. Hope this is a little help to someone who was making enquires.

Angelfire:
Hi guys, my first post (on an old thread I know) but I have a list of the Inn’s over the Woodhead from the Flouch inn through to Tintwistle in times gone by. In order I have them as, Flouch, Dog & Partridge, Salters Brook, Crown Inn, Angel Inn, George and Dragon, Tollemache Arms, Commercial Inn and the Quiet Shepherd. Hope this is a little help to someone who was making enquires.

This is good info “Angelfire”, I wonder how many of them are still serving good old ale & food :question: Regards Larry.

There’s only the Dog And Partridge left Larry, the Flouch was the other survivor until recent years, but it got turned into an Indian Restaurant a few years back. It didn’t do much trade - probably because you couldn’t really see it, hiding behind the trees that have grown up around the “new” roundabout and the remains of the old road. It was flattened last year, and there’s a development of 4- and 5-bedroomed executive houses there now. All the others were demolished years ago, except the Quiet Shepherd, which has been a private house for decades.

I used to like the Woodhead early in the mornings before most of the traffic got moving. I had a decent lorry at the time and could push on quite well. Until, of course, I came up behind some old fogey from Sheffield doing 3mph in an ancient AEC tanker!