Proof of night out

shullbit:
With regard to just the night out proof, how can you provide a receipt if you park in a layby miles from anywhere? :unamused: If they have trackers I would be telling them to check my location on that, or provide my own gps data from google maps ‘‘my timeline’’ which will show where you have been with times.

Are you trying to argue that you shouldn’t be paid the £26? Because that is supposed to reimburse the costs you incur, NOT reimburse you for your time, i.e. wages

HMRC never likes the idea of employees getting a tax free amount on their income. I think ready made meals receipts on your weekly shop is ok.

This is just a tick box excise, to file away incase of a check. Nothing to bother about really just a pain.
I am surprised they haven’t got tax free meal allowance which firms are paying as part of their weekly wage. That’s far more dodgy

shullbit:
With regard to just the night out proof, how can you provide a receipt if you park in a layby miles from anywhere? :

Well that’s where the system falls on its face. Not all drivers pay for overnight parking as we’re all aware, but apparently it’s acceptable to put receipts in for crisps, sweets, cans of drink, meals etc as proof of night out.But these do not prove the driver spent the night in the lorry, they merely prove that the driver bought stuff during the day.

Just like a day driver can do.

I believe this is the legislation that applies “employers will only be required to ensure that employees are undertaking qualifying travel”
gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66205
So it would appear that receipts are not required, but they may make life easier for the employer.
(applys only to £26.20)

According to what I have looked at,N/O allowance is £26.20 for sleeper or £34.90 non sleeper plus meal allowance along with a receipt if over £34.90,periodic samples of proof of n/o apply. Try and find a bed for the night for the princely sum of £34.90 and a place nearby to park
Rates have not changed according to HMRC in OVER 10 years and are now in discussions with the Employers friend the RHA to bring the n/o money upto a more realistic rate.
As we all know RHA have never been on the side of the Driver if there`s a threat of costing hauliers money.

stu675:

shullbit:
With regard to just the night out proof, how can you provide a receipt if you park in a layby miles from anywhere? :unamused: If they have trackers I would be telling them to check my location on that, or provide my own gps data from google maps ‘‘my timeline’’ which will show where you have been with times.

Are you trying to argue that you shouldn’t be paid the £26? Because that is supposed to reimburse the costs you incur, NOT reimburse you for your time, i.e. wages

Strictly speaking it is, but in the real world many, probably the majority of drivers don’t actually spend the money eating in restaurants etc but just assimilate it into their general household income. In any event, if you do nights out then surely you should be paid for your time away from home, inconvenience and discomfort etc and not just have your losses made good?

As has been mentioned, night-out money has not been raised for years, I believe since 2009. Had it been raised in line with inflation it would be around £42 now rather than £26.20. The fact that it hasn’t is one of the reasons I won’t do nights out any more.

Harry Monk:
surely you should be paid for your time away from home, inconvenience and discomfort .

If you were then it would be taxable.

Surely you are paid for all that in your wages i.e. you take a job knowing that nights out are required, and this is the salary?

(I agree with you, £26 is not enough).

kevmac47:

gazmac:
Morning all

The company I work for now is asking for receipts,to prove I’ve done a night out…I’m paid the normal £25 night out allowance then £5 expenses payment by the company…never had to do this before…I can’t give .y week shopping receipts in to prove my nightscaway…I’ve got to spend a pound every night to get a receipt…Is this normal for us trappers now.

I maybe getting the wrong end of the stick here, but doesn’t your digi tacho readout prove you had a nightout? :question: :question: :question:

If you eject your card at the remote sleep over location, then you’d presumably enter that remote location “Country” as you eject your card - IF it is a country other than the UK of course…

Maybe in the future, digidevices in the vehicle will include actual GPS location upon card entry and ejection?

Who’s asking for “proof” anyways? If it is the firm that just send you to Scotland last weekend, and then tries to deny that they ever did such a thing… Wot next?
“Hey guy, what did you spend all our diesel on??”

stu675:

shullbit:

How do you get that from my post? Anyway, I have never needed receipts for a night out, also there is nothing wrong with bring receipt from when you did your weekly shop, if you have bought microwave meals to use all week while you are away tramping this is an expense that you have incurred.

the maoster:

shullbit:
With regard to just the night out proof, how can you provide a receipt if you park in a layby miles from anywhere? :

Well that’s where the system falls on its face. Not all drivers pay for overnight parking as we’re all aware, but apparently it’s acceptable to put receipts in for crisps, sweets, cans of drink, meals etc as proof of night out.But these do not prove the driver spent the night in the lorry, they merely prove that the driver bought stuff during the day.

Just like a day driver can do.

Show me where it says the driver has to spend the night in the lorry on a night out, he can set a tent up if he so wishes.

How do you get that from my post?

So firms are now asking for receipts of proof surely the new tacho are satellite tracked wouldn’t this give Location

Lets be clear here, the RHA, FTA and HTA have an agreement with the HMRC that an amount can be paid tax free without receipts to drivers for expenses connected with being away from home- if your company is not a member of those organisations they can still pay you the night out allowance tax free but will be liable to random checks by HMRC who will want proof that those tax free allowances are justified, that’s maybe why your boss is taking for receipts - The tax free allowance without periodic checks is NOT an industry wide thing, its is only for those transport companies who are members of organisations that have negotiated the scheme.