Problems from vosa

For sure you can. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

vosa members neednt answer. as requested bt greg

just thought i would ask first :laughing:

when my head clears i will post a indepth reply. apologies to greg 50 in advance.

I got stopped by VOSA a while back at Gatwick, showed them my paper tachos and handed him my digi card, he then gave the digi card straight back and said that they havenā€™t been issued with any equipment to read the cards.
Can they read them at the roadside yet?

Cardo said;

Can they read them at the roadside yet?

Yes. But it still depends as to who has been on the course and been issued the relevent kit.
They could always have taken printouts and ā€˜readā€™ your hours from those and if you hadnā€™t got enough paper you and the boss could have been ā€˜knockedā€™ for that as well as any drivers hours offences discovered :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

geebee45:
They could always have taken printouts and ā€˜readā€™ your hours from those

If he was driving a non digi equipped vehicle they couldnā€™t. :wink:

Coffeeholic said;

If he was driving a non digi equipped vehicle they couldnā€™t.

Good point Neil, next time Iā€™ll read the original post a bit more carefully. :laughing:
Although nothing to stop them from pulling in a digital vehicle and putting your card in that and then taking printout, bit longwinded though :laughing: :laughing: Quicker to go and buy a card reader form PC World or similar.

To return to Greg50ā€™s original post.
VOSA and Cops do have leeway to not prosecute minor infringements. The CPS also require that the prosecution passes ā€˜The Public Interest Test.ā€™ Without knowing the precise circumstances of your mates it is not possible to comment. A single reduction in mid-shift break of 2 minutes is unlikely to get anything other than a verbal warning, unless the drive time is excessive. If the ā€˜offenceā€™ is repeated over a number of days then it becomes a different matter.
As for overloads. Overweight on the pin implies that the drive axle is overloaded, thatā€™s the one that does the most damage to the road surface. There is a lee way, but not much. However thatā€™s what Public Weighbridges are for; to check weigh your vehicle and axle weights. Before anybody says you cannot do axle weights on a plate bridge; yes you can, just takes a bit of effort (and maybe a calculator :laughing: )

I have been pulled by VOSA more times in the last 6 months than I have been in Ireland in the last six years. I wish the Irish authorityā€™s would be more like them I would be able to get better working conditions. as for being over weight VOSA pulled me in grossing 39t with the drive axle 750kg over sent me on my way and asked me to watch my loading next time. Tippers should have 3 axle units its the front axle that tends to be over more than the drive not that it matters over here when on barley or fertilizer I could be anywhere around 50t with 5 axle combination with no ABS.