Pop master ends/moves to Greatest hits radio [Merged]

BossHogg:

Carryfast:
I’ve now got so fed up with it that I’m finally looking for a CD recorder to make my own records from the home system at least for use in my own car like I could with cassette tapes.
Now find that they are gradually stopping selling them for obvious reasons.

My car radio has built in usb player, I bought a stubby 64gb memory stick, put over 2000 tracks on it and set it to random. I haven’t listened to the radio in over 2 years.

Firstly even though it’s a 2015 my car radio has no USB input to my knowledge.
While even if it did I wouldn’t have a clue how to get the cable TV box audio output recorded onto a memory stick.
While even if I did I’m sure that it would get blocked by YouTube’s recording blocking encryption which is now my go to music library.
No such problems with the DAC converting it to analogue before it goes into the amp and then through putting that from the amp into a CD recorder’s analogue input in good old fashioned understandable style.
Resulting in usable CDs which the car can then play just like the old cassette tapes before.Thats progress.

Carryfast:

Colingl:

Carryfast:
I’ve now got so fed up with it that I’m finally looking for a CD recorder to make my own records from the home system at least for use in my own car like I could with cassette tapes.
Now find that they are gradually stopping selling them for obvious reasons.

USB external DVD writer for a PC or laptop from Amazon, between £20 and £30. Ashampoo have a free CD\DVD burning application which you can download and install. It also has the functionality also “rip” CDs to MP3 to allow you to create your own audio CDs.

So not sure where you get the idea these items are not being sold, or are you looking at a different way of doing it. :confused:

.All that seems like an unfathomable way of doing what a CD recorder does.
Firstly I’ve given up on continuously buying home PC’s/laptops with joke lifespans I just use my phone for the limited computing I need to do.
I also wouldn’t have a clue how to make a PC record all the stuff that goes into and out of my home AV system bearing in mind it is an old amp with no digital inputs and outputs.
I have to put the digital audio output from the cable TV box through a DAC for example.
Even if I had a modern AV amp with digital audio links I guess it still wouldn’t be easy to record anything from it using a computer for an old ■■■■ like me who doesn’t understand MP3 from USB.
While I think that providers like YouTube use encryption of their audio output to stop such recording.
But which obviously doesn’t apply in the case of converting it to analogue through a DAC before reaching the amp and recorder and these greedy zbs know it.In total contravention of fair use/recording laws.
With my luck even if I manage to find something like this

richersounds.com/teac-cd-recorder.html

now I’ll then end up with the problem that newer cars no longer have CDs for similar reasons.IE too easy to circumvent greedy draconian and illegal copyright enforcement and the profits being made by mobile data and music providers.

Well you may find it “unfathomable” but it works. Set that up for my Dad (77 btw) for him to get his CDs to MP3. Even managed with the help of a friend to get a 8 track reel of a band rehearsal, from the band my Dad played in, in the 60s to Mp3.

YouTube Downloader, download videos and allows them to be converted to MP3. The software costs around £25. But I take your point on encryption and blocking, but so far I’ve not hit that issue.

Firstly I’ve given up on continuously buying home PC’s/laptops with joke lifespans

So what’s the lifespan in your opinion? 8 years is usually when I replace the home PC, then it’s replaced with a refurb. Current one has been going strong for the last 4 years. Work laptop is replaced every 6 yrs or so. Neither is unreasonable IMHO.

Halfords, new Pioneer stereo for less than £100 (exc fitting) with CD player and USB input. I did that for a 2006 Citroën Picasso, back in 2011.

It’s all doable, it just takes a bit of effort and research on your part. The feeling I get is you don’t want to.

Colingl:

Carryfast:
.All that seems like an unfathomable way of doing what a CD recorder does.
Firstly I’ve given up on continuously buying home PC’s/laptops with joke lifespans I just use my phone for the limited computing I need to do.
I also wouldn’t have a clue how to make a PC record all the stuff that goes into and out of my home AV system bearing in mind it is an old amp with no digital inputs and outputs.
I have to put the digital audio output from the cable TV box through a DAC for example.
Even if I had a modern AV amp with digital audio links I guess it still wouldn’t be easy to record anything from it using a computer for an old ■■■■ like me who doesn’t understand MP3 from USB.
While I think that providers like YouTube use encryption of their audio output to stop such recording.
But which obviously doesn’t apply in the case of converting it to analogue through a DAC before reaching the amp and recorder and these greedy zbs know it.In total contravention of fair use/recording laws.
With my luck even if I manage to find something like this

richersounds.com/teac-cd-recorder.html

now I’ll then end up with the problem that newer cars no longer have CDs for similar reasons.IE too easy to circumvent greedy draconian and illegal copyright enforcement and the profits being made by mobile data and music providers.

Well you may find it “unfathomable” but it works. Set that up for my Dad (77 btw) for him to get his CDs to MP3. Even managed with the help of a friend to get a 8 track reel of a band rehearsal, from the band my Dad played in, in the 60s to Mp3.

YouTube Downloader, download videos and allows them to be converted to MP3. The software costs around £25. But I take your point on encryption and blocking, but so far I’ve not hit that issue.

Firstly I’ve given up on continuously buying home PC’s/laptops with joke lifespans

So what’s the lifespan in your opinion? 8 years is usually when I replace the home PC, then it’s replaced with a refurb. Current one has been going strong for the last 4 years. Work laptop is replaced every 6 yrs or so. Neither is unreasonable IMHO.

Halfords, new Pioneer stereo for less than £100 (exc fitting) with CD player and USB input. I did that for a 2006 Citroën Picasso, back in 2011.

It’s all doable, it just takes a bit of effort and research on your part. The feeling I get is you don’t want to.

Don’t think Halfords or Pioneer can do a direct replacement for that ?.
ebay.co.uk/itm/175421568490?

If it was a universal DIN type fitting I’d replace it with a radio DVD head unit then could use my DVD recorder to do the job of a CD recorder.Problem solved.

I’ve never had a PC which lasted more than 4 years at best.I guess that a refurb desktop system would be a good option much better than laptops which seem to self destruct when the warranty ends.
But even if I get one I’m sure that trying to record stuff from my cable TV box onto a CD let, alone the mystery of MP3, using a computer would be more expensive and complicated at the end of the day, than just using a CD recorder plugged into my home AV system.
If I can find one for sale.
Also bearing in mind that YouTube not only blocks digital hacking of its content it also wipes out further access to the site if/when it finds it.
Having said that the Zafira’s radio does have a Bluetooth link in which case is there a way to send the content of a memory stick to it via Bluetooth ? , assuming I can work out how to get the content onto a memory stick.

Carryfast:

Does this help?
youtu.be/PqQ1Ek-sfAw

Carryfast:

My car is a 2007 Civic, I bought a dash adapter and put a double din radio in. :wink:

stu675:

Carryfast:

Does this help?
youtu.be/PqQ1Ek-sfAw

Blimey it only took around 8 years and a YouTube vid posted on tnet to find it.Thanks for that.
I now just need to find out how to get the cable TV’s digital audio output onto that memory stick as described.

Good news for radio 2 listeners ? I’ve just read a report that the Ken Bruce spot may be allocated to Rylan. ffs

Gidders:
Good news for radio 2 listeners ? I’ve just read a report that the Ken Bruce spot may be allocated to Rylan. ffs

Oh ffs :unamused: …still,.I suppose he ticks their boxes eh? :unamused:

I heard Gary Davies was favourite in the running, to revive his old R1 ‘Bit in the middle’, , who tbh I quite like.
I listen to his 80s show every week on the I player in fact, and when he’s on stand in.on other shows.
Ok, he’s not everybody’s cup of PG, but whether you love him or hate him,.he’s experienced, slick and professional,.and not afraid to take the ■■■■ out of himself.
Apart from that he takes me back to my own old ‘Cool Rob’ days with the mullet and Magnum tache, in the 80s, …an appalling poser. :blush: :laughing:

Not comparing GD with Ken at all btw, they both have different styles, and I will miss him in the morning,.especially Popmaster…had 39 quite a few times btw . :sunglasses: :laughing:

Tony Blackburn still going strong at 80 years old also. :smiley:

Greatest Hits Radio plays 70’s, 80’s and 90’s songs I read. Sounds like Groundhog day radio to me, doubt if MC5, 999 or The Fall will feature much. Belle and Sebastian or First Aid Kit which you’d think the target demographic would like also fall outside the timeframe (well mostly in the case of B&S). Never understand why folk listen to the same old stuff.

Sent from my Note 13P using Tapatalk

Munchkin:
Greatest Hits Radio plays 70’s, 80’s and 90’s songs I read. Sounds like Groundhog day radio to me, doubt if MC5, 999 or The Fall will feature much. Belle and Sebastian or First Aid Kit which you’d think the target demographic would like also fall outside the timeframe (well mostly in the case of B&S). Never understand why folk listen to the same old stuff.

You’ve got a fairly contemporary taste in music there mate. :sunglasses:
But be warned…you’ve kicked off something with me by saying that. :smiley:

There is nothing wrong with listening to a bit of nostalgia,.I find it to just almost literally take me right back to different periods and events in my life, it just triggers good (and bad) memories, I’m actually back there when I hear certain stuff from certain years.
Music has always been a big part of my life,.and I’d never be without it.

A few examples of what I’m droning on about. (Btw…once you get me talking about music or football I never shut up :blush: :laughing: )

When I hear Steve Harley it takes me back to my first ever gig, 1977 in Newcastle.

Focus,.‘Sylvia’… it takes me to a (bloody good :smiley: ) lads weekend at Blackpool…

Anything Earth wind and fire, my (superstar :laughing: :unamused: ) DJ days at a holiday camp.

‘Fashion’ David Bowie…the first time I saw a blonde vision :smiley:… my now wife dancing on a stage (fashion model not a stripper btw :laughing: )

Bowie ‘Let’s dance.’…my honeymoon.

Tears for fears ‘Rule the World’…birth of my first daughter.

Paul Hardcaastle ‘19’ …trying to sort a couple of very handy yobboes making trouble in a bar with a mate, one memorable night…(still got the scar on my head today :smiley: )

Cliff (yeh I know :blush: :smiley: ) ‘We don’t talk anymore’…
My first driving job in a Transit pick up …tramping. :open_mouth:

Specials ‘Ghost Town’…first time out on my own let loose on a ■■■■ big artic :open_mouth: …a liability. :laughing:

So you get the picture what I’m getting at. :smiley:

Music has no bounds mate, old is just as good than latest new… anything that is good is good,.and some old stuff you never get tired of listening to.
For instance I can listen to George Michael, or Sam Fender, The Who or The Cortinas, Echo and the Bunnynen to Catfish and the Bottlemen, Bon Jovi to Maroon 5…Old and New :bulb:
I needn’t continue I’m sure you get my drift. :smiley:

I’ll shut up about it now before I start boring you. :laughing:
Who do you fancy fir the League title this season. :laughing:

You’ve just give me a brilliant idea for a new thread. :sunglasses:

robroy:

Gidders:

Oh ffs :unamused: …still,.I suppose he ticks their boxes eh? :unamused:
Not comparing GD with Ken at all btw, they both have different styles, and I will miss him in the morning,.especially Popmaster…had 39 quite a few times btw . :sunglasses: :laughing:

Thing is, that show has the cheesy jokes, love song dedication and the stereotype music quiz like every other station both public and commercial has had at some point…the show format has been done to death, only thing missing really is the celebrity birthdays! Breakfast and Drivetime are preasumably the biggest shows on most stations, as unlike us many don’t get to listen to the radio at work, but I think it’s a credit to people like Ken as a true radio presenter that he has such a basic template for a mid morning radio show yet can present it in a way that turns it into something which has such a big following. He’s one of the dying breed of ‘real’ presenters instead of the ‘celebs’ (see above: Rylan - he was a reality TV star and singer. That doesn’t necessarily make one a good radio presenter!) they seem to prefer now.

robroy:

Munchkin:

You’ve got a fairly contemporary taste in music there mate. :sunglasses:
But be warned…you’ve kicked off something with me by saying that. :smiley:

There is nothing wrong with listening to a bit of nostalgia,.I find it to just almost literally take me right back to different periods and events in my life, it just triggers good (and bad) memories, I’m actually back there when I hear certain stuff from certain years.
Music has always been a big part of my life,.and I’d never be without it.

A few examples of what I’m droning on about. (Btw…once you get me talking about music or football I never shut up :blush: [emoji38] )

When I hear Steve Harley it takes me back to my first ever gig, 1977 in Newcastle.

Focus,.‘Sylvia’… it takes me to a (bloody good :smiley: ) lads weekend at Blackpool…

Anything Earth wind and fire, my (superstar [emoji38] :unamused: ) DJ days at a holiday camp.

‘Fashion’ David Bowie…the first time I saw a blonde vision :smiley:… my now wife dancing on a stage (fashion model not a stripper btw [emoji38] )

Bowie ‘Let’s dance.’…my honeymoon.

Tears for fears ‘Rule the World’…birth of my first daughter.

Paul Hardcaastle ‘19’ …trying to sort a couple of very handy yobboes making trouble in a bar with a mate, one memorable night…(still got the scar on my head today :smiley: )

Cliff (yeh I know :blush: :smiley: ) ‘We don’t talk anymore’…
My first driving job in a Transit pick up …tramping. :open_mouth:

Specials ‘Ghost Town’…first time out on my own let loose on a [zb] big artic :open_mouth: …a liability. [emoji38]

So you get the picture what I’m getting at. :smiley:

Music has no bounds mate, old is just as good than latest new… anything that is good is good,.and some old stuff you never get tired of listening to.
For instance I can listen to George Michael, or Sam Fender, The Who or The Cortinas, Echo and the Bunnynen to Catfish and the Bottlemen, Bon Jovi to Maroon 5…Old and New :bulb:
I needn’t continue I’m sure you get my drift. :smiley:

I’ll shut up about it now before I start boring you. [emoji38]
Who do you fancy fir the League title this season. [emoji38]

You’ve just give me a brilliant idea for a new thread. :sunglasses:

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia, the older we get the better we were and all that.
I was just giving a for instance of what I think they won’t play and I’m a curmudgeonly old git. I could just as easily have said Chtistine and the Queen’s or Buddy Holly both of which are outweigh the seemingly holy three decades.
The point is listening to the same music is stifling, you need at least some new stuff to open the mind.

Found this on You Tube.
youtu.be/uXpcBbHE7TY

They should put OJ Borge in Ken’s slot, he is wasted on his present midnight programme.

Just been looking at the daily line up.

Nikki Chapman…My day never starts that early.

Zoe Ball…
Too middle class, too ■■■■ ‘jolly’ (yeh I know that’s the way of a breakfast show,.but she’s annoyingly so.)
The stupid names she calls her audience annoys the ■■■■ out of me, stopped listening to her years ago…within 2 weeks of her taking over from the Ginger ■■■■■■ in fact.

Ken…going. :frowning: .only decent presenter on there.

Vine…Where do I start,.overpaid prick…again too middle class,.too smarmy for my liking.

Scott Mills…Just can’t get away with him.

Sarah Cox…Not too bad I suppose, she should do the breakfast show, but take her or leave her.

Then we have Dermot O’ Leary and Claudia ■■■■ Winkleman on a Saturday…nuff said. :unamused:

Joe Wiley…Take her or leave her, not fussed.

There is nobody on that list that will make me want to listen, I’ll just stick with .Chris Moyles on Radio X in morning, flick between Talksport and 5 live,.with a couple of regional music stations, as day goes on, .and Gary Davies Sounds of 80s on the BBC listen again when I’m running back in on a Saturday.
My R2 days are done.

Another few boxes ticked with their latest presenter.
This Welsh ■■■■ drip. :unamused:
And you thought Vanessa Feltz was torturous. :laughing:

Are they purposely trying to lose listeners.
I’m never up that early in a morning, so I won’t have to endure it.

radiotoday.co.uk/2023/02/bbc-ra … -launches/

Vernon Kay taking over the slot from Ken Bruce.

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64755872

Not sure I’ve listened to him on the radio so will keep an open mind. I prefer the afternoon since Scott Mills took over.

njl:
Vernon Kay taking over the slot from Ken Bruce.

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64755872

Not sure I’ve listened to him on the radio so will keep an open mind. I prefer the afternoon since Scott Mills took over.

Ah well,.that’s another morning listener.they have lost.
Can’t stand the guy. :imp:
Come to think of it nobody on the daily schedule appeals to me now. :neutral_face:

According to press reports, its Kens last week at Radio 2 as BBC have asked him leave early.

huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/en … a1f65d526/

Just downloaded the GHR app ready for when Ken starts on April 3…so no more live Radio 2 for me after years of being a regular listener.

How long before Steve Wright in the afternoon makes an appearance there.