Police: LGV drivers must respect M62 speed limit

Who cares how long it takes to get through them, if paid by the hour the longer it takes the more you earn people need to chill if the load is late it’s not my problem. If going east bound call in at hartshead for a coffee there is plenty of time to drink it while your stuck in traffic. And what is all the moaning about car drivers leave them alone you all know what they are like HGV Drivers are just as bad.

Juddian:
Course professional lorry drivers also take into account that the vast majority of car speedometers are up to 10% optimistic, so showing 50mph or thereabouts on the car dial relates approximately to 45 mph true speed.

Secondly professionals also know that 50mph limit in roadworks is a limit, not a target, and is enforced for good reasons, working class blokes like us are trying to build or mend the road and are just as entitled as we are to go home after work safely and not in a wooden box.

Thirdly, trying to force car drivers, who are unlikely to be professional drivers themselves, to travel faster than they want to or pressure them to change lanes, is hardly the standard one would expect from someone who calls themsleves professional…being a professional means making allowances for those who are not, even though they might well drive you up the wall, it comes with the job. + 1

Just remind me how long these roadworks are, 50 miles? 120 miles?, will travelling at 45 mph instead of the heady heights of 50 make a life or death difference in the grand scheme of things for the short duration involved?

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … ase-starts

Screw them, we didn’t ask for all this crap did we, if they don’t like it they should scrap the 50 speed limit & let people move @ normal speeds, if car drivers feel intimidated then they should do the limit or stay off the motorway, use the alternate A roads & ■■■■ about on them, not on the motorway that some of us have to work on…!!! :smiling_imp:

All you will get from a copper is its a Limit not a Target. i would like a ships foghorn to wake them up a bit… plebs

I think the problems with trucks tailgating cars through the roadworks is more to do with the speedos in cars reading under. If I drive at 60mph in my car (not in roadworks) I have trucks up my arse. They think they are on the limit and are getting annoyed that we are supposedly trying to speed, even though according to our speedos we are doing bang on 50.

Best policy through the M62 roadworks when its busy for me is to just sit in lane one at 40 odd (assuming its moving). It takes barely a few minutes longer and its 10x more relaxing, you don’t HAVE to be doing 50, just keep left.

you don’t HAVE to be doing 50, just keep left.

Yeah try telling that to stupid car drivers who think mirrors are on the car for decoration… :exclamation:

I use this stretch of motorway every working day & I’m afraid to say, I see absolutely moronic driving from HGVs. The bullying and tailgating they do is absolutely crazy. I drive to the speed on my sat nav which IS accurate and I stick to 50mph or below because I don’t want a fine & points yet every day HGVs come past me like I’m standing still. These trucks ARE speeding and there’s never an excuse for tailgating. It doesn’t matter if a car infront is driving at 46mph in a 50mph limit. That doesn’t give a truck driver cart blanche to drive dangerously.
Unfortunately these idiot HGV drivers are giving everyone else a bad name.

I found a couple of videos on Youtube that back up my statement here.

youtube.com/watch?v=J3GYlUdHWKw

youtube.com/watch?v=HvMtLhxOXio

youtube.com/watch?v=uj5qVY9Ue5s

calicojoe:
I use this stretch of motorway every working day & I’m afraid to say, I see absolutely moronic driving from HGVs. The bullying and tailgating they do is absolutely crazy. I drive to the speed on my sat nav which IS accurate and I stick to 50mph or below because I don’t want a fine & points yet every day HGVs come past me like I’m standing still. These trucks ARE speeding and there’s never an excuse for tailgating. It doesn’t matter if a car infront is driving at 46mph in a 50mph limit. That doesn’t give a truck driver cart blanche to drive dangerously.
Unfortunately these idiot HGV drivers are giving everyone else a bad name.

I found a couple of videos on Youtube that back up my statement here.

youtube.com/watch?v=J3GYlUdHWKw

youtube.com/watch?v=HvMtLhxOXio

youtube.com/watch?v=uj5qVY9Ue5s

Are they you tube vids yours by any chance■■?

I’m not condoning the driving in the clips, but who ever wastes their time uploading that ■■■■ must have nothing else better to be doin, totally pointless

Lets just put all this nonsense from car drivers in to perspective.
They moan about trucks doing 55 in a 50 zone deliberately failing to pull over into the nearside lane to let them pass as they say the trucks are speeding and breaking the law so sitting in lane two with lane one empty is justified in their eyes!
Suddenly once through the road works you speed off in your car reaching 70 mph in lane three and another car comes up behind you doing 80 mph, gives you a flash, and you immediately pull over to let them pass so why not pull over to let a truck pass in the 50 zone.
Hypocrites!.

I noticed in the 3rd video, ‘the user’ managed to turn his camera slightly to the right (22 seconds) so as to get a better shot of the offending vehicle…tut tut ‘Whitbyjet65’. Now i’m gonna stick me neck out a bit here and ask ‘whitbyjet65’ what make of camera he uses. Guess it has a screen on it, (which would be used to correctly angle the camera on initial installation only, yes?) which would mean taking his eyes of the road to play with his gadget, no? Oh dear ‘whitbyjet65’…not such a pro yourself, eh? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pot.jpg

I was coming through there a few weeks ago heading back to Widnes. I had a Marks and Sparks wagon alongside me who was driving like an idiot.He nearly took my mirrors off twice.When i managed to get by his cab,the arrishole was texting on his phone.Them lanes are tight enough when your driving properly and with care,but texting on your phone is dangerous. :imp:

Videos 1&3: While you are quite correct that the two trucks shouldn’t be intimidating the car drivers, you fail to mention that the cars could also be committing the offence of impeding the progress of other motorists. The car drivers have no place to act as the police in slowing these trucks down despite the fact it’s a 50mph zone. If the trucks are speeding, then absolutely right the cameras should have them. And if as a result of their actions anything worse were to happen, then the full force of the law should apply without question.

Video 2: Well this is indefensible, but again, you fail to mention that the white Vauxhall in front was giving it hell for leather prior to the appearance of the car transporter, or is it because trucks have names on the side, or are bigger in appearance therefore it’s easier to castigate them.

I pass through the area daily, (It’s not far from my house.) and I can tell you, it isn’t just trucks that are speeding. The last public count of speeding motorists through here, was 11,000, and this was featured on the local news. Since then, it will have gone up, but let’s not just have a go at one group here. I’m sure under the freedom of information act, the break down of figures could be had.

Ken.

It doesn’t matter whether a car is driving at 45mph (or whatever) and holding up an HGV. It doesn’t give an HGV driver the right to act in a reckless manner and endanger the life of the car driver. Tailgating in such a massive vehicle is absolute madness and there’s never an excuse to do it. I’m staggered that some people on here have the audacity to defend these dangerous HGV drivers.

I noticed in the 3rd video, ‘the user’ managed to turn his camera slightly to the right (22 seconds) so as to get a better shot of the offending vehicle

Oh so you never take your hands off the wheel at any time then? You never change gear, switch on the radio (hardly a vital manoeuvre but everyone does it quite safely), wave thank you to another driver etc. Amazing how the movement of the camera bothers you but the tailgating idiot in the 30 tonne truck doesn’t.

The problem is(in my opinion) standards have dropped for all drivers both car and hgv.
But the aurthorities arnt bothered about this, all the seem to do is punish people for speeding.

If an individual is spotted driving below the expected driving standard by the police or HA, they should be pulled over,told what the problem is, and forced to go on a driving course paid for out of their own pocket. If they didn’t do it, then their license would be suspended untill course is taken.

FFS, this is not a boxing match between cars and HGV’s. Let’s all just try and do our best and not ■■■■ everybody else off on this stretch. No wonder the sh*ts always hitting the fan on the 62. Lets practice more tolerance and patience. Everyone wants to arrive safely at their destinations don’t they?

Maybe some drivers don’t realise they are doing 46 when speedos say 50- also we can’t be always looking down at our speedos to make sure we are doing bang on 50!
Ranty over and outy :grimacing:

Now, I wonder if they have shut my juncion off as I head out tonight… :smiling_imp:

maybe if they just banned cars from the m62 lane 2 and 3 and made them truckers lanes only !!! :smiley: after all the did it for buses and the olympics !!

dessy:
Nice post Juddian! You haven’t disappointed me with your view! It’s too predictable. :laughing:

Stick to your shopping trolley,tossing off a 15 hour shift and holding up folk who want to finish and go home! :laughing:

Ah dessy…too stupid to realise he’s doing himself out of money as he risks his licence doing 56 on a SC A road…

maybe if they just banned cars from the m62 lane 2 and 3 and made them truckers lanes only !!! after all the did it for buses and the olympics !!

Please tell me you’re having a laugh.

Why not pull your ■■■■■■■■ over your head and ■■■■ some sense into yourself, cars are a ■■■■■■■ nusense through there, who in there right mind would do 70 plus approaching roadworks then pull infront of a 44 ton truck and slam on to 45 mph, theyre a bunch of ■■■■■■■ idiots who have not got a clue about driving, they make my blood boil, ■■■■■■■ halfwits