POA - Do people really work for free?

I think the illusion pushed upon the workforce here is that you work a 60-70 hour week - measured by counting the number of hours you are away from home - but you only get paid a 40-50 hour wage - based on a salary, rather than an hourly rate.

If you get “Overtime” then you’ve got it made. If you don’t, then does anyone get to pull their card bang on their time, without serious hoo-har from the boss, because you’re half way around the M25 come that hour or something similar?

“Not having POA recognised” is a good thing really - because it means you’ll always be paid for all the hours you are at work for - less the meal break con of course… :unamused:

Dipper_Dave:
Nope, no one on here works for free, at most its 45 minutes deducted per day for break although some companies just pay straight through.

If your not paid breaks or POA then POA is not used and break is only used when needed legally, in fact no one should use POA at all in my opinion as its a useless tacho mode only given a purpose because its cheaper than redesigning tachos to remove it entirely.

Basically what I’m saying is anyone who uses POA is an idiot.

Said this before but treat it as meaning ‘Press Once Again’ rather than .‘Period of Availability’ as it appears between break/rest and other work on a digi tachos.

There’s no need to apologise for calling me an idiot but poa is an essential for the owner driver .

ive never used POA so don’t really know when to use it :blush: just to clear things up if I have a 15min break, do some driving, working what ever and if I don’t want my driving time to get wiped out can I do 30min POA to reset my 6h and then have my 30min break when I reach my 4h30min driving limit :unamused: does that make sense to you :question:

Trucker8oy:
ive never used POA so don’t really know when to use it :blush: just to clear things up if I have a 15min break, do some driving, working what ever and if I don’t want my driving time to get wiped out can I do 30min POA to reset my 6h and then have my 30min break when I reach my 4h30min driving limit

Yes, as long as you did some driving before the 15 minute break otherwise you would need 45 minutes when you reach the 4.5 hours driving.

Trucker8oy:
ive never used POA so don’t really know when to use it :blush: just to clear things up if I have a 15min break, do some driving, working what ever and if I don’t want my driving time to get wiped out can I do 30min POA to reset my 6h and then have my 30min break when I reach my 4h30min driving limit :unamused: does that make sense to you :question:

Yes but remember before your 1st 15min break you MUST do a minimum of 1 min driving … Remember booking poa CAN CLEAR THE DRIVING ON THE VDU BUT THIS DOESNOT MEAN YOU HAVE A CLEAR 4.5hrs drive…
if using poa… its advisable to make o note of your accumulated driving to that point.

Dan Punchard:

Dipper_Dave:
Nope, no one on here works for free, at most its 45 minutes deducted per day for break although some companies just pay straight through.

If your not paid breaks or POA then POA is not used and break is only used when needed legally, in fact no one should use POA at all in my opinion as its a useless tacho mode only given a purpose because its cheaper than redesigning tachos to remove it entirely.

Basically what I’m saying is anyone who uses POA is an idiot.

Said this before but treat it as meaning ‘Press Once Again’ rather than .‘Period of Availability’ as it appears between break/rest and other work on a digi tachos.

There’s no need to apologise for calling me an idiot but poa is an essential for the owner driver .

:smiley:
Could you explain why its essential, just curious.

If I have to wait that time is charged where possible by my own ltd co ,I use poa where suitable to make sure that there’s enough time each week for tm duties maintenance and inspections ect .

Dipper_Dave:
Could you explain why its essential, just curious.

I think you’ll find most OD’s will book as much POA or breaks as possible as once they hit that Magic 48hr number business stops unless they take someone on to cover the hours needed.

Dan Punchard:
…but poa is an essential for the owner driver .

Not that essential. Unless it’s being used for the reason Happysack outlined the OD can just use break instead of POA. Same effect as POA so it’s hardly essential.

So how the hell do drivers feel it’s OK to be in work and not get paid on POA (DHL above) that really blows my mind :open_mouth:

Coffeeholic:

Dan Punchard:

Not that essential. Unless it’s being used for the reason Happysack outlined the OD can just use break instead of POA. Same effect as POA so it’s hardly essential.

I’ll stick with poa when I don’t need a break thanks .

The way I see it…

If you get paid for POA - use it.
If you don’t get paid for POA - don’t use it.

To do the 15 hrs a day they want ( 24 if they had there way) I need too be booking about 5 hrs p.o.a a day ( keep my average at 48 hrs work p.w,9 ish hrs per day ) ,I don’t think that’s possible on mainly shop deliveries ,but my depot boss thinks different ,I’ve now a day planned with a driver trainer too show me the error of my ways ,I really can’t wait to hear his pearls of wisdom on p.o.a ,well at least we get free grub apparently.

parkus:
The way I see it…

If you get paid for POA - use it.
If you don’t get paid for POA - don’t use it.

I get paid for breaks, I also get paid for POA. I’ve never used POA as I feel that apart from being a made up activity that doesn’t actually exist, but I feel that using it will one day lead to it biting you in the bum, principally through clearing the driving time on the tacho. I’m a big believer in not doing anything which may cause me uneccessary complications in my life.

Dan Punchard:

Coffeeholic:

Dan Punchard:

I’ll stick with poa when I don’t need a break thanks .

Which is your choice but that doesn’t make POA ‘essential for the owner driver’.