Please sign - Petition

You need to think outside the box.

Every bike would need to be registered, licence plate ect. Probably need a mot to satisfy insurers the bike was safe :blush:

The system would all need to be policed. No insurance, fines etc

Premiums would be towards car levels. Fall off your bike you could claim for injury etc

Children would not get cover.

It would be completely unworkable.

Time to stop tarring all cyclists with the same brush? After all, not all drivers are the same (I could image the uproar if some posters on here got compared to white van men!)

ajt:
You need to think outside the box.

Every bike would need to be registered, licence plate ect. Probably need a mot to satisfy insurers the bike was safe :blush:

The system would all need to be policed. No insurance, fines etc

Premiums would be towards car levels. Fall off your bike you could claim for injury etc

Children would not get cover.

It would be completely unworkable.

I completely understand your point of view and your line of thinking but I say again, there has to be a way, surely?

A couple of years ago my lad was doing his paper round, about this time of year so it was dark in the morning. However he managed it, he hit a stationary car and managed to gouge a beaut of a scratch in the bumper and rear quarter panel :unamused:
He knew who the owner was so went and tapped on the door and owned up. The owner was fine about it and my boy gave him my number. We agreed that he should get a couple of quotes and that I would pay, obviously. Nearly 700 quid later his car is fine and my boy has a reputation for being honest - happy days.

What if he wasnā€™t so honest and it was your car?

Who pays and why should they?

And the cyclist gets away scot free, I supposeā€¦?

There has to be a wayā€¦

Ok, so now weā€™ve gotten the view of a few members on here can I assume that no one will ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and moan about cyclists from now on?

Thought not.

My vehicle was damaged by a cyclist recently, quite badly. Had they had some sort of plate or marking then I could have followed it up or at the very least report it to the police.

However instead, Iā€™ve now got a lot of damage that Iā€™ve to pay to have repaired because the little prick cycled off in to the sunset.

stagedriver:
Ok, so now weā€™ve gotten the view of a few members on here can I assume that no one will ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and moan about cyclists from now on?

Thought not.

My vehicle was damaged by a cyclist recently, quite badly. Had they had some sort of plate or marking then I could have followed it up or at the very least report it to the police.

However instead, Iā€™ve now got a lot of damage that Iā€™ve to pay to have repaired because the little prick cycled off in to the sunset.

Had it been a pedestrian or a mother with a pushchair then it wouldā€™ve been ok then?

stagedriver:

Thought not.

So you saw them damage your vehicle and didnā€™t follow it up. Or you came back to your vehicle and it was damaged so you think it was a cyclist?

Iā€™ll see your damage by a cyclist, and raise it by the damage of a hit and run large van or maybe removals lorry :imp: .

If some one doesnā€™t stop then they can have all the insurance in the world, it still comes out of your own pocket (or your own insurance companies pocket and subsequent loss of NCB).

As for us moaning about cyclists, we will all the time they are dangerous, inconsiderate and arrogant. But then we pick/moan/hate all road users that fit that bracket.

trampyjoe:

stagedriver:

Thought not.

Had it been a pedestrian or a mother with a pushchair then it wouldā€™ve been ok then?

They donā€™t use the road, do they?

This is very simple.

If a cyclist hits your vehicle, they should be held responsible for their actions. Sadly if they just ride off, then some sort of identification for insurance purposes is required. If your a good, safe cyclist then thereā€™s nothing to worry about.

stagedriver:

trampyjoe:

stagedriver:

Thought not.

They donā€™t use the road, do they?

so because they donā€™t use the road theyā€™re never going to damage a vehicle??

Thinking about it, they do use the road. Around here there a no pavements so everyone has to walk in the road.

stagedriver:
This is very simple.

If a cyclist hits your vehicle, they should be held responsible for their actions. Sadly if they just ride off, then some sort of identification for insurance purposes is required. If your a good, safe cyclist then thereā€™s nothing to worry about.

Cyclists are held responsible for their actions. If a cyclist hits your vehicle and cycles off itā€™s treated as a hit and run, The police take them seriously. The trouble is so few people donā€™t bother reporting them as they, like you, think they are not accountable.

Just for the record itā€™s the same for horslists too.

Cyclists donā€™t need insurance, other road users are already covered by ā€˜criminal damageā€™;

ā€œA person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.ā€

If you want recompense for any damage they cause by cycling like a knob, have them arrested and tell the court how much the repairs were.

And when you are in a que of traffic and that cyclist is heading off in front of you, how exactly do you hold them accountable?

stagedriver:
And when you are in a que of traffic and that cyclist is heading off in front of you, how exactly do you hold them accountable?

Well, given the way the petition is worded, the same way you would hold them accountable if they were insured :wink:

How do you propose insuring cyclists under the age of 16, given that they can not be legally drawn into any contract (which an insurance policy is)?

Wonder if they would give a discount if you had stabilisers fitted or would that be classed as a modification? :laughing:

Under 21 riding a racer. Premiums would be a nightmare. Would have to stick to a 3 speed till you turn 21 :laughing:

:laughing:

stagedriver:
Had they had some sort of plate or marking then I could have followed it up or at the very least report it to the police.

Iā€™d agree with this entirely but thatā€™s not the same as being insured which is what the petition is about. As said already, how would being insured make them stop?

i personally think all cycles should have some form of number plate attached and registered with DVLA,if that happened a couple of years ago i would have been able to call the police with the details of the idiot cyclist who took out my blind spot mirror with his cycle lock on my lorry and all because i had the front to tell him to use the cycle lane beside park lane in london instead of holding drivers up on the road,and no before any cyclist replies i did not swear in any way, all i did was tell him to use the cycle lane and he was the abusive one before he smashed my mirror and rode off

truckman20:
i personally think all cycles should have some form of number plate attachedā€¦

It would create too much drag. Aerodynamics are very important to the cyclist.

truckman20:
i personally think all cycles should have some form of number plate attached and registered with DVLA,if that happened a couple of years ago i would have been able to call the police with the details of the idiot cyclist who took out my blind spot mirror with his cycle lock on my lorry and all because i had the front to tell him to use the cycle lane beside park lane in london instead of holding drivers up on the road,and no before any cyclist replies i did not swear in any way, all i did was tell him to use the cycle lane and he was the abusive one before he smashed my mirror and rode off

Youā€™re talking about criminal damage though. They were effectively a pedestrian when they did the damage. Its a Police matter all day long regardless if there was a bike involved.

truckman20:

How would you have responded to a car driver politely pointing out to you that your lorry was holding them up and asking you to pull into a layby so they could pass? Genuine question, Iā€™m curious.