Pictures that tell a story

And this: a G88? Lift axle. Scanwegian spec tilt.

ERF-NGC-European:

It’s an '89 :laughing:
It’s got that F88/89 lower rear quarter panel. I wonder why? It looks like a trip hazard, given the location of the steps on a G.

ERF-NGC-European:

Recabbed with a 89 cab on a G-chassis? At the rear end under the cab follows the roundings of the mud-guards

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:

Recabbed with a 89 cab on a G-chassis? At the rear end under the cab follows the roundings of the mud-guards

Good answer. i guess G cabs were difficult to find. The cost of cutting off the F steps and welding the G ones on would be a lot less than the price of a new cab from Volvo.

How about this:
truck1.eu/tractor-units/vol … 46794.html

Seems cheap for an F89. Maybe it will cost a few weeks’ welding over the next few years but, as we agreed, welding is cheap! :laughing:

Another ponderable picture, this time of a LHD Dutch AEC. I observe that it’s in the livery of Konig, a Rotterdam based freight outfit. This model would normally have had top-mounted wipers but I notice they’ve been mounted at the bottom of the windscreens. Odd looking setup: have they drilled the glass?

gR.jpg
R (1)n.jpg
R (1n).jpg

I wonder when this picture was taken. I estimate late '60s or very early '70s. There’s plenty to ponder in there. The newest unit appears to be a DAF 2600, with older DAF 2000s in the mix. Most of them appear to belong to Rotterdam-based Konig Transport so it might be their yard. On the left of the pic, is that one of Konig’s Henschel locally cabbed units? there are also normal cab Henschels scattered around. And I can see what may be a bonneted F-type MAN nosed into the warehouse wall. It could be located in perhaps Antwerpen if the UK cross-channel trailers are anything to go by (think Tilbury-Anvers ferry); but far more likely at Konig in Rotterdam. There are both 8m and 10m (or even 11m) trailers visible. Any sharp eyes out there to add some insights to the picture? Operators would have their units painted in Konig colours if they were doing regular work for them.

a1910c5b23c18b6ee9ce340403a57a29--glorie-transport.jpg

EDIT to add that I think those cross-channel trailers may have been operated by Konig or were they operated jointly with Continental Ferry Trailers (UK)?:

3f5351913bdc0b40340ad14c5f383401.jpg

Re the drilling of glass for wipers, this bottom pic from “the heavy haulage through the years” thread shows the same thing, do remember seeing the occasional old vehicle with this done think they were guys or thornycrofts but all i could find was the top pic which looks to be right at the top of the screen.

Steve

vwvanman0:

Re the drilling of glass for wipers, this bottom pic from “the heavy haulage through the years” thread shows the same thing, do remember seeing the occasional old vehicle with this done think they were guys or thornycrofts but all i could find was the top pic which looks to be right at the top of the screen.

Steve

Oh, well spotted! I hadn’t noticed that the Dutch Van Twist AEC had received the same treatment! I imagine all those lanky Dutch drivers probably took a dim view of having to peer through the unswept arc left by wipers on UK-spec vehicles :laughing: . Being a short-arse they never worried me.

Just done a little more research into the Konig picture I posted. I’m afraid I’ve rather plundered the ZWNTransport (NL) pics but they tell the story best.

Firstly, it appears to be Konig’s own premises and that distinctive tower in the background should locate it exactly.

Rg.jpg
Rtr.jpg
cecb8e0ce0c15e93af76b93533f22a5a.jpg

Secondly, it appears that the trailers became just EFT (European Freight Trailers) at some time in the '70s, judging by the 12m tilts.

eftR.jpg
OIvP.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
I wonder when this picture was taken. I estimate late '60s or very early '70s. There’s plenty to ponder in there. The newest unit appears to be a DAF 2600, with older DAF 2000s in the mix. Most of them appear to belong to Rotterdam-based Konig Transport so it might be their yard. On the left of the pic, is that one of Konig’s Henschel locally cabbed units? there are also normal cab Henschels scattered around. And I can see what may be a bonneted F-type MAN nosed into the warehouse wall. It could be located in perhaps Antwerpen if the UK cross-channel trailers are anything to go by (think Tilbury-Anvers ferry); but far more likely at Konig in Rotterdam. There are both 8m and 10m (or even 11m) trailers visible. Any sharp eyes out there to add some insights to the picture? Operators would have their units painted in Konig colours if they were doing regular work for them.

L.JPG
Looks like an LAD-cabbed Leyland, with a nesting box added, and a toolbox fitted beneath that. However, given the number of Henschels in the pic, I think it is probably one of those, with the earlier round-front cab.

da416b244a122ae8d2acc20e18452be4.png

Bit of deja-vu from the top of the first page here! Sometimes the lorry in the background is more interesting than the subject.

78e9d8af4ead33e53c76e9e3daa7e2a3.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Bit of deja-vu from the top of the first page here! Sometimes the lorry in the background is more interesting than the subject.

The same operator’s Scammell- well spotted!

Now, who can identify the make of the vehicle to the right of the Berliet, from the air tank/battery box layout? :laughing: :laughing:

Is there a rise in the ground, or is the Crusader sitting on it’s axle?

Cheers, Keith

kmills:
Is there a rise in the ground, or is the Crusader sitting on it’s axle?

Cheers, Keith

Uneaven ground, by the look of it!

ERF-NGC-European:

EDIT to add that I think those cross-channel trailers may have been operated by Konig or were they operated jointly with Continental Ferry Trailers (UK)?:

At a guess I would say that’s the yard in Rotterdam indeed, as the tall thing in the background might be the Euromast, Rotterdam’s landmark.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:
I was just looking at the picture below found somewhere in cyberspace. It shows a 1967 registered D-series Ford with a 10m tilt. Well, it looks like a 10m tilt to me because I passed my lorry test on a D-series Ford coupled to a 33’ (10m) trailer so it probably is! I wonder what those three fabric panels are on the tilt canopy. Would they have been markers for the crane driver to attach lifting gear to - a sort of precursor to the marked lift points a decade later? And where is the port? It looks a bit like Ipswich Docks to me, though the last time I tipped there was in '86. Something to ponder on.

This is intriguing, for several reasons.
I think the vehicle might have been part of Ford’s internal fleet, delivering parts between their European and GB plants. Would Ipswich take complete artics in the late '60s? I think the panels on the tilt are peepholes, so Ford men and customs officers can check what’s inside, without breaking the TIR seal.

Just as interesting is the arrangement of oddities on the front of the cab- it appears that Ford’s R&D people were using the vehicle for some experiment or other. It looks like a hole has been cut, inboard of the right-hand flap, exposing what looks like a coolant filler cap. There is also a cable passing down, from the hole, through a guide to the lower grille panel. Were they testing experimental cooling systems, or alternative engines? Had they recruited some ex-AEC engineers, who were paranoid about cooling problems on V8s? :laughing:

Essex number plate as well.

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

At a guess I would say that’s the yard in Rotterdam indeed, as the tall thing in the background might be the Euromast, Rotterdam’s landmark.

Funnily enough, my first thought was: Euromast! But that tower bears no resemblance to Euromast :wink:

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:

89 were from factory in G form ,so a normal one