Peter Slater Ltd.+ Other Coalmen from the 50s/60s onwards

Tankerman:

Stanfield:
Hi TM Thanks for the info I often wondered what the connection was cheers.I remember Sam Newton who I believe became MD but was that the Leyland sales division because when I knew him he was a salesman who used to come into Biestys yard quite often as they bought all their motors from Gillies.0

I was with Sam Newton not long ago, we attended the funeral of Gilbraith Tankers fleet engineer. He had done twenty five years at Gilbraith Commercials and then moved to Tankers for another twenty five years.
I think Sam had been General manager of Commercials and Philip Gilbraith’s son in law was the MD, he finished up owning Tankers with Phillips daughter, they recently sold it to Hargreaves.

Gilbraith Haulage and tippers were eventually owned by John Gilbraith and the Tankers by Phillip Gilbraith, both old Henry Gilbraith’s sons.
They jointly owned the Commercial depot which moved to Botany bay nr Chorley and then sold it to a chap who turned it into a shopping outlet.

The Haulage side of the old Gilbraith empire bought Fogarty’s out at Blackburn and are still going strong, John Gilbraith’s son owns it.

I remember seeing Biesty’s lorries having the bodies built and then going to the paint shop. The Albion Reiver, number 10, which I got new was registered at the same time as one of Biesty’s Leylands and was one number below on the reg plate.
It was a very busy Company when British wagons ruled the roost.

There was a wagon firm which I think was on Hyde Road and they had a big coal yard. They ran some Leyland LAD cab Retreivers and were always up and down the Pennines. I think they were black and red, would that be Biesty’s.
I did a couple of load into their yard in the 60’s from Mansfield with coke, big greedy boards full to the brim.

T.M.

Hi. I’m Louis Gilbraith, John Gilbraiths grandson.
Sad news, he has just passed away this December. He was a very good man and very kind to everyone.

Something not quite right, his son does not have anything to do with any business’s my grandad had, I think he’s the main reason John got out of business so his son didn’t ruin it.
It’s very strange to see all these photos and learn about the history of the family. Just a shame it was all gone before I was old enough to realise.

I see was hoping to see a photo of a Peppers of Leeds tippers but no luck. When I left school in 1963 I went to work there in the garage. They were in Lower Wortley Leeds and part of Hargreaves but ran in their own colours. The S type Bedfords were painted dark blue but the new LAD cab Albions had a grey cab with red mudguards and a white roof. I spent a lot of my time making greedy boards for them as they did a lot of coke.

remy:
I see was hoping to see a photo of a Peppers of Leeds tippers but no luck. When I left school in 1963 I went to work there in the garage. They were in Lower Wortley Leeds and part of Hargreaves but ran in their own colours. The S type Bedfords were painted dark blue but the new LAD cab Albions had a grey cab with red mudguards and a white roof. I spent a lot of my time making greedy boards for them as they did a lot of coke.

My Great uncle was a contractor to Peppers at Clowne he had a lot of plant & lorries on for them he managed some lagoon hay making blending sites for them ,then when Hargreaves came along they asked him to become a director up at Leeds but he declined it went down hill from there and he had a brand new Man stocking at Arkwright pit before they moved it in fact 3 new Mans over the 7 yrs there some weeks it only used 5 gallons of diesel.

Right then lads how many of you can remember these in the 50s/60s the coal men from yorkshire.

Peter Slater AEC 8 wheeler.jpg

Stanfield:
Right then lads how many of you can remember these in the 50s/60s the coal men from yorkshire. (photo courtesy of flatman001)

I remember them well John,saw them on Woodhead pushing and shoving like Mullans used to do over Peak forest :laughing:
I think this pic was taken on the A57 at Moscar between Sheffield and Ladybower maybe they were running coal to Hope cement works.

You’d have needed yer top coat in those MK3s :laughing:

Brilliant photo Chris.I have a few more what flatman001 has sent me and I have emailed him for permission to use them so will get them on if he allows
John

Stanfield:
Brilliant photo Chris.I have a few more what flatman001 has sent me and I have emailed him for permission to use them so will get them on if he allows
John

Thanks John,I got the pic off ebay and always like to see photos of Slaters :sunglasses:

Chris- Here’s one brand new dont remember where I got this one from but had it for ages

Peter Slater Atki.jpg

The first three photos I have just purchased and on the back were copyright to Camlyn Photos, the fourth is from a collection of Motorcards by Bellingham I purchased some years ago, thats why I have watermarked them.

The article below is from 'King Coal And The Great Yorkshire Coal Hauliers by Charlie Walker

Excellent stuff John I knew I could rely on you cheers.Here are a couple more which you sent to me hope you dont mind me posting them
John

Peter Slaters Albion Reiver.jpg
Peter Slater 4 AECs.jpg
Peter Slater Leyland.png
Heres one of the crew that chased Slaters over the yorkshire moors.

Mullen Bro's Chesterfield.jpg

Stanfield:
Chris- Here’s one brand new dont remember where I got this one from but had it for ages

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Aye,she’ll not be like that for long.Great picture.

Great pictures of a well known company.I just wonder about “Continental Services” :open_mouth: did they go over the watter - the mind boggles at the thought :laughing: Greedy boards doubled up,20ton of coal topped up with a few ton of coke maybe,got to make it pay tha knows :laughing:
The Mullans photo was taken at Lady’s Bridge Sheffield,and there’s an Atlas Express Ford Thames behind,if they are both going over Woodhead that Atlas driver will have all on catching Mullan going down t’other side.

Hi John,they are a blast from the past - NCC Ollerton,was it the National Carbonising Company with a trade name of "Rexco"or summat like that and who was the main contractor for them,I’ve seen a photo somewhere which may have been yours of their fleet lined up in their yard.And Smiles for Miles,I remember them running out of the North-East coking plants,Derwenthaugh,Norwood and Monckton Jarrow spring to mind. :sunglasses:
I reckon that Atki of Smiles is ex Hanson,Wakefield going by the reg.

Great stuff :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Hi John,they are a blast from the past - NCC Ollerton,was it the National Carbonising Company with a trade name of "Rexco"or summat like that and who was the main contractor for them,I’ve seen a photo somewhere which may have been yours of their fleet lined up in their yard.And Smiles for Miles,I remember them running out of the North-East coking plants,Derwenthaugh,Norwood and Monckton Jarrow spring to mind. :sunglasses:

Hello Chris it was National Carbonizing Co Ltd (Rexco), the main haulier was J Clarke (Haulage) Ltd of Ollerton who NCC owned, I think all their vehicles ran on B licence, below is an application to add vehicles to a B various licence in the East Midlands from February 1965.

flatman001:

Chris Webb:

Hello Chris it was National Carbonizing Co Ltd (Rexco), the main haulier was J Clarke (Haulage) Ltd of Ollerton who NCC owned, I think all their vehicles ran on B licence, below is an application to add vehicles to a B various licence in the East Midlands from February 1965.

Thanks John,they ran in a green livery,mostly if not all Atkinsons,a bit like Hansons from Wakefield? They were a regular sight on the A1 and the A616 from Ollerton to Sheffield via Barlborough in the dark ages :laughing: .
Them days are long gone,who would have thought that the NCC plant would have gone so quickly just like a lot of the coal industry sites. :frowning:

From the Nottingham Area.Egro cabbed Leyland Octopus G reg 1968/69 fully freighted.

JOHN

This photo of E F Beattie’s AEC was found by TIPIT…During the 60s Beattie use to haul coal from the yorkshire pits (wingerworth) back to there depot in Bennett St Ardwick Green M/C.

E F Beattie AEC.jpg
Horace Kendricks another big haulier in the movement of coal during the 60s.But sadly all gone thanks to Maggie.

Horace Kendrick Foden 2.jpg

JOHN

I remember Beatties running out of Wingerworth and Horace “greedy board” Kendrick was a familiar sight especially in South Wales running coke into the Midlands.Another company from Walsall was Oscar W Johnson who did the same work as Horace,anybody remember him?

I’m sure Flatman John sent me this,hope he doesn’t mind me posting it.A line-up of Clarkes wagons when on the NCC “Rexco” job.