Peter Roff

Well Harry although I think any employer has a right to expect his drivers to look after the tackle I totally agree that if they want the drivers to put the time in then they should be paid for it. Especially if like at Roff’s it was a time comsuming job.

I also agree with you that there is logic in buying top spec motors knowing that they will fetch a good price on the 2nd hand market. More so if the firm has a rep. for looking after it’s tackle.

Things have changed a bit now of course but you never used to see the likes of Roff or Thorburn’s motors advertised because they always had people lined up to buy there kit knowing it was looked after.

It’s a shame that there are less and less tidy fleets out there these days but I suppose in todays cut throat world it’s a luxury few can affford.

Unfortunately in todays climate where the proffesional driver is supposedly becoming a rarity most firms still don’t give a toss about good drivers and it’s still a case of " if you don’t want it i can easily find someone who does".

Cheers
neilf

Yes times have changed, Niel. But the mystery of the job is when you got a tough boss & a hard job,all the drivers stuck together. When conditions were good & work was easy the drivers were stabbing each other in the back like no tomorrow :laughing:

I’ve got to agree with you there Harry.

It’s a shame but it seems to be everyone for themselves these days and the camaraderie has gone.

I know it’s been gone from the uk for years but I was lucky enough to catch the tale end of it on euro work in the later half of the nineties but even that seemed to dissapear as we got into the new millenium.

I’m off euro work now but it still saddens me when running up the M20 and you see trucks from firms that you know are shiping out and they’ll be 3 of them all 10 miles apart .

It must be a lonely life out there these days.

Cheers
Neilf

On my last knockings I was with Maritime on containers. It was quite normal for guys from other Maritime depots not to talk to each other even when close parked for the night ,and collection points in the middle of nowhere etc. Although some may have good reason . When I left another driver on Maritime also had to hand his notice in after being detained at Her Majesty`s Pleasure. He drew 7 years for armed robbery. What amazed me is where he got the time to do it. & I wonder if the old lags speak to him ? :laughing:

HI HARRY.
You Have Got It In ONE…ROFFY Would Not Give AIDS if He Had Got It The Tight (zb)…Very Very Greedy…I AM ALL RIGHT JACK…(zb)YOU.

edited for language mm

webby alpine// Every time I saw one of his trucks I used to mutter." Bu*ggeRoff !!"

I fail to see why all this abuse is aimed at Pete – over the years I’ve known every driver he’s employed and as far as I know none of them were “press ganged” into driving for him !!
Washing trucks by hand was the thing in those days ! When I started on A.C.H. the whole fleet [units & trailers] was washed by hand at Stone. Over the years a “Auto” truck wash was introduced, and when it was N.D. we run them through a depot truck wash at every opportunity and through the Truckwash at Rainham on our way home…
You cannot judge conditions then by todays standards !!

why do we have two threads about the same bloke■■?

Hi Big Leggy.
You Do Not Now The Tight CU*T Yuo Could Not Put One Of His Motors Through That Would Be To Easy And It Would Cost Money.■■ And You Would Have Time At HOME?? …THAT WOULD NOT BE WRIGHT…Would It???But Do You No Him■■?..I DONT THINK SO…He Is That Good He Wanted Me To Be One Of His Subbies,…But It Was Better To Do F>>K ALL …Than Work For Him…You Only Get Caught Once…Ref …ACH…VOSA …Liked.David Fowler.He Was To Bright…He Got Caught…Was He GREEDY AS WELL■■?.
Truth Often Hurts…May Be Two Peas In A Pod

I take it he’s not on your Christmas card list then Webby :wink:

HI LEMONMOUTH.
NO HE IS NOT…I Was Only On His Once?..And That Costed Me Money??..Peter Is ONLY Intrested in One Thing. .And That Is PETER RODGER ROFF and MONEY…He Likes To Keep It.

I do not see the problem in wanting to hang onto or keep the money you earn !
Both you and I Webby only work for money & what we earn we would like to keep – so why should Peter be any different ?
Like I said – no one was pess-ganged into driving for him & any driver could leave at any time it suited !
I’m not sure how Dave Fowler (or was it Les) got to be criticized in this thread – if it’s to do with being tight with monies then I’m afraid you are barking up the wrong tree !!

thing about peter was he told drivers what to expect from him before they stated for him he would buy top of the range trucks and expected them to be looked after his way as webby says yes he was tight but look what he had compaired to other hauliers in the area (like some only running 1 daf ) pete couldnt understand why drivers moaned after being told what the job entailedand still started for him

well ive just read all that about peter roff and i know one thing his trucks and his drivers were a credit to him.the one thing that i always remember from my first trip aboard in a truck is seeing one of roffys f12s parked near the wheelhouse in dover.i were 14 im 35 now and i still remember it gleaming in the sun and wishing i were going to italy in that instead of my mates f6 :smiley: so come on lads anymore photos
this is how K7 ROF looks now

its nice but personnally id like to see it painted white n blue :wink:

Here’s our ex Peter Roff motor, still working…

Hi has anybody got side photos of peter roff trailers and closer pics of units cants seem to find any many thanks ian