Peak District.

Hi
That Gordon Stead Foden is still on the vintage truck sceen, Its blue and red now and it looks helish long for towns and citys
to where it delivered with bagged salt, I crossed paths with it a lot of times in Middlewich.
John

TIPIT:
Thanks for adding the old Commer of Eldon’s Chris, can you tell me what that colour scheme was ?
I never knew them before their yellow and black.

Hi tipit.Well i can’t be sure but I think the old livery was maroon or dark blue,although I could be getting confused with Hughes Brothers who I think ran in the same colour with “Derbyshire Granite” on the body side.Sorry I can’t be of more help. Ben Bennett Jr were running in blue and still are I think with the same address,Lisle road Rotherham.There were so many companies in the 40s and 50s like Glebe Mines,Eyam and Eyam Quarries,Masons from
Stoney Middleton and one I remember well in the 60s was Alan S.Dennif from Kiveton Park who were running out of Derbyshire to Sheffield in colours similar to John Owen from Dinnington.I know Longcliffe are still going but the other one long gone was Derbyshire Stone sales who disappeared into another name.Dowlow lime were another regular to be seen and there are some pics of them on here somewhere.Darlton Quarries from Stoney Middleton became Wimpey Ashphalt I think.
I’ve been left the area a long time so all this could be rubbish :laughing: .

Hi
A chap who lived across the road from me only ever drove for Derbyshire Stone.In the 50s he had a Morris commercial(suicide doors) that was
Black with Gold lettering on the sideboards next same colours Albion Reiver, Another Albion Blue cab Black body with White lettering only on the
cab door.1970 ish another Albion Tarmac Green aaagh, next Leyland Reiver (Green) next S39 8 legger,He then had a 8 legger Mandator but can’t
remember if it was permenant this was at Couldon low quarry. The chap in question was Mr Sutton (Bill) his son drove for Waters Darly Dale
and Rocold. The Grey matter is in overdrive today better have a lie down now.
John

3300John:
Hi
A chap who lived across the road from me only ever drove for Derbyshire Stone.In the 50s he had a Morris commercial(suicide doors) that was
Black with Gold lettering on the sideboards next same colours Albion Reiver, Another Albion Blue cab Black body with White lettering only on the
cab door.1970 ish another Albion Tarmac Green aaagh, next Leyland Reiver (Green) next S39 8 legger,He then had a 8 legger Mandator but can’t
remember if it was permenant this was at Couldon low quarry. The chap in question was Mr Sutton (Bill) his son drove for Waters Darly Dale
and Rocold. The Grey matter is in overdrive today better have a lie down now.
John

Hello John, hope you’re doing OK.

Next time you see your mate, mind if you ask him if he has any old pics of the wagons he drove from Caldon and if the ones you listed were in the khaki colour scheme please ?

I can vaguely remember Caldon having a few Foden Haulmaster eight leggers and a couple of Leyland Reivers just before they went over to F7 six and eights, but never any S39s or Mandators. Be interesting to hear if these made it into the khaki colourscheme

(Sorry to mention it, but as a lad growing up in the 70s, round here they were everywhere and me old man drove for Tarmac out of Topley Pike and I can still remember the yard being full of Ergomatic cabbed tippers. :sunglasses: )

Hi db
There was defenatly one mandator ,A drinking pal of mine had that one new (TJW 110L)John (TATTY HEAD) Tatton had her. Earlier I said about Bills trucks
after the Black and Blue Albion all the trucks was Khaki I’ve got a photo somewhere but it might be Black and White. Other Trucks S39 at least 4.Thinking
back they swopped the mandators for Scammell Routmans after a few months, Don’t know why, I live in North Wales now and haven’t seen Tatty Head for
25 Years, I do know how to contact him via another work mate.
John.

Be good to see a pic mate. :sunglasses:

As for the S39s, I’ve seen a pic of a tanker that Tarmac / Derbyshire Stone ran at Cawder Quarry Matlock, but never a tipper.
And the Routemans sound great too. (Very) vaguely remember a few at Topley Pike before they switched the fleet to sixers and fours after the new weight regulations came into force mid 70s.

When I look at the roads round here I love to think of all the old tippers that were around 30 odd years ago. (Makes me sad but I don’t care ! :blush: :laughing: )

Can you remember we had a few winters like this, Buxton / Leek A53 1982 (IICR).
Heathcote lads It was Buxton side not yours

John

Hi ya
Theres a photo of a 1950s Foden owned by Lomas thats worth a look. So you go to Big lorry blog where it say’s Truck Net at the top of the page and scroll
down.I don’t know how to nick it and put it on here, One of you Buxton lads will know who posted the photo and ask if they have any more to post.
John

TIPIT:
I’m running short of more Buxton tippers, but here is another haulier from the past who used to carry bagged salt from Northwich.

I just nicked this.
John

3300John:

Someones made a good job of Gordon Stead’s old Foden.

Okay it’s not one of the Buxton brigade, but there is something about this picture that reminds me of Allinson’s … or maybe he’s just met one coming the other way :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Tipit.Maybe the driver was ex Allinsons and thought he was still working for them :confused:

Anyone remember this :

Address listed as Silverlands, Buxton. Maybe it was based at the old Higher Buxton Goods Depot near the coal yard ? :confused:

Hiya D B theres a chap who had a Routeman/Hiab crane at Peakstone bricks and later a Foden of his own his name was Eric Perkins I don’t know if hes any relation to the chap who owened that Thornecroft.He lives in Buxton at the back of that VW agents on the A6
Talking about Thorneycrofts a chap i know has just finished restoring the last cervillian Thorneycroft built its a 8 legger 1960 model its in Hulland products livery. Its taken him since 1986 to do but looks like new. Hes just finishing the body so it will be out next year.
John.

Hi ya This got the gas axe in 1987. It was at the back of Berresfords Buses Cheddleton It was a 8 legger

John

Don’nt know if you sam Longsons men are intrested but if you got to PiscaWeb Albums-Bill Clewes-Foden you will find a photo of SNU 555E Ex
Wrecker now a fairground lorry but still in Sams livery.
John.

Borrowed from Bubbleman’s Scrapbook, can anyone say if these Maggies were the last wagons Allinson’s ran ?

They were Tipit mate, the last being on a C plate. I can even remember one of the reg plates : C666GBU. :open_mouth:

Here’s one of the last ones they had and I think it was pictured at Harrogate when there was a Tip in hosted there.

Wow … thanks for putting that picture up Kelvin, colour as well !!!
I can remember seeing a group of those W reg’s entered in ADT auctions at Belle Vue around '85, they were in a right state by then but I couldn’t remember what they replaced them with, cheers mate.

TIPIT:
Wow … thanks for putting that picture up Kelvin, colour as well !!!
I can remember seeing a group of those W reg’s entered in ADT auctions at Belle Vue around '85, they were in a right state by then but I couldn’t remember what they replaced them with, cheers mate.

NP mate. :sunglasses:

Can you remember the ergo eight leggers that Allinsons ran in the mid to late 70s ? I can’t, but I remember an old lad from Oldham way that bought one after Allinsons moved onto the Fodens. His name was Ivan and he was a real character. If you were heading down into M/cr, he was a real pain to be stuck behind. :unamused: He ran this wagon well into the 80s.
Also, I can remember a B series ERF eight wheeler that was running out of Wimpey’s Darlton quarry at Stoney Middleton in the 80s. That was in Allinson’s livery and I was told back then it used to belong to a Stockport lad that ran under contract for Allinsons.

BonkeyDollocks:
Can you remember the ergo eight leggers that Allinsons ran in the mid to late 70s ? I can’t, but I remember an old lad from Oldham way that bought one after Allinsons moved onto the Fodens. His name was Ivan and he was a real character. If you were heading down into M/cr, he was a real pain to be stuck behind. :unamused: He ran this wagon well into the 80s.
Also, I can remember a B series ERF eight wheeler that was running out of Wimpey’s Darlton quarry at Stoney Middleton in the 80s. That was in Allinson’s livery and I was told back then it used to belong to a Stockport lad that ran under contract for Allinsons.

Thats it AEC’s … there was one of their drivers an o/d I think with a big bushy beard, that use to tie little blue ribbons in it ! I don’t know if it was one of the AEC’s or the Foden’s he had. They also ran some 6 wheeler D series in the 60’s, but they didn’t last long with them.