Peak District.

During the 60’s I seem to remember a company Barlow & Hodgkinson running out of Chapel/Buxton do any of you recall them & also another company from the Stockport area (I think) called Ashton & Holmes later became Ashton & Vernon they ran LAD Dodges same as Thomas Lambs.(any photos out there of these 2)

The firm to fear in the Yorkshire/North East was Peter Slater,from Gildersome.Used to run over Nont Sarahs to avoid police and ministry.6wheel leyland Ergomatic cab,don’t get in front of them,you could die!!!

I remember Peter Slaters.They carried coal from over yorkshire.Do you have any photos.I seem to remember my mate Tipit was asking about them either on this tread or one of his other threads.

Stanfield:
I remember Peter Slaters.They carried coal from over yorkshire.Do you have any photos.I seem to remember my mate Tipit was asking about them either on this tread or one of his other threads.

Here’s one of Peter Slaters,a photo borrowed from a mate of mine,brand spanker on trade plates.
She’ll not be like that for long. :laughing:

Nice one Chris.Am I right in thinking that Slaters were swallowed up by the Hargreaves Group some time ago.

Am I right in remembering B J Waters from Darley Dale, they go way back don’t they? I remember delivering truck parts to them for their Sed Atki’s many many moons ago. Still see their motors about but not sure how many they are running.

Stanfield:
Nice one Chris.Am I right in thinking that Slaters were swallowed up by the Hargreaves Group some time ago.

Aye,I think they were Stanfield,a long time ago.I think Slater had something to do with Cawoods Fuel Oils as well which went into Hargreaves too.I remember Peter Slaters wagons going over Woodhead,running coke to Stockport Gas works.I was only a kid then and I think they were AEC MK3s,don’t know how many loads a day they did but I know some were double-shifted.
Must go,getting travel sick! :laughing:

TIPIT:
sent in by Stanfield.

And a couple more that must have come from Bonkey Dollocks.

Hi TIPIT,
Those pictures of Sam Longsons bring back some memories from the the late sixties, they used to scream by me in those two stroke fodens, running down to south Wales. I had Bedford TK with a 330 engine four speed gearbox, no twospeed, running at 14 ton gross, they were running at 26 ton gross, go past you anywhere. Different story when I had a KM with a 466 engine and a five speed box and a twospeed axle, also a Commer Maxiload. Those were the days, loaded both ways.
Cheers Dave.

way_1974:
Am I right in remembering B J Waters from Darley Dale, they go way back don’t they? I remember delivering truck parts to them for their Sed Atki’s many many moons ago. Still see their motors about but not sure how many they are running.

They’ve got a big fleet still running about and they do continental as well with tippers.They’ve been going donkey’s years. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Stanfield:

Aye,I think they were Stanfield,a long time ago.I think Slater had something to do with Cawoods Fuel Oils as well which went into Hargreaves too.I remember Peter Slaters wagons going over Woodhead,running coke to Stockport Gas works.I was only a kid then and I think they were AEC MK3s,don’t know how many loads a day they did but I know some were double-shifted.

Hi Chris. Yes I remember them too bringing coal & coke over from the yorkshire pits during the early 60’s.I used to ride out with a neighbour of ours who drove for E F Beaties when I was a kid and when you were behind them they threw coal/coke all over the roads when going round bends it was unbelieveable.I seem to remember them being painted black in livery at that time.

Stanfield:

Chris Webb:

Stanfield:

Hi Chris. Yes I remember them too bringing coal & coke over from the yorkshire pits during the early 60’s.I used to ride out with a neighbour of ours who drove for E F Beaties when I was a kid and when you were behind them they threw coal/coke all over the roads when going round bends it was unbelieveable.I seem to remember them being painted black in livery at that time.

Yes,they were in a black livery and they chucked coke all over Yorks,Derbys,Cheshire and Lancs :laughing:
Mullan Brothers from Chesterfield were the other culprits for coke spreading.A mate of mine lent me a book called “King coal and the great Yorkshire coal hauliers” or summat like that and Peter Slater got a mention or two in it :laughing: .
I can’t remember seeing them in that grey livery,mind you the old memory is not what it was.
I remember Beatties from Manchester by the way and I think there’s a photo or two of their wagons on here somewhere.

I can’t remember Waddacor’s but have been told this “mock up” is similar to theirs, does it help jog anyone else’s memory ?

I like the Beattie AEC MK5 Tipit,looks well.
The name Waddacor rings a bell but that’s about all.Is the Manchester Bradford in the Brunswick/Ardwick area?

Hi Tipit
You are not far off with that one of George Waddacors :laughing: and Chris Manchester Bradford in around the Openshaw/Beswick area near to the Man City football stadium eastlands.
Tipit can you remember another company I think they were from around the same area has Waddacor painted in a dark green livery and did same type of work as them and also same type of fleet in 60s.

I heard from ovlov that Edward Brigg’s had part of Waddacor’s yard. And by the sound of things was that the yard Kaye Goodfellow used later, on the corner of Grey Mare Lane / Ashton New Road ?
Brigg’s were dark green BMC’s weren’t they ? carrying coal & coke. This is the only picture I’ ve found of one of Brigg’s going through Cheetham Hill in 1959.

Hi Tipit
Yes you are right,Thats the yard George Waddacors was in but I dont recall Briggs

Who else remembers these ran by Joe Bratt brother of Dave Bratt with the yellow ERF flats,they had the yard Heap Transport moved into.

And can someone tell me if Earl’s Cement was an off shoot of Blue Circle.
This must have been one of the glamour wagons in it’s day.

And another good wagon of the Peak district.

Hi Tipit
Yes I remember the blue tippers of Bratts running around but dont know much about them though.

Hi Tipit.
Earle’s Cement were originally at Hull,near Melton I think - Wheelnut will know. The cement works at Hope,Derbyshire were known as Earle’s Cement when I was a young 'un in the 40s and 50s.All the wagons had Hull regs,mostly Leyland Comets.I think the name changed to The Cement Marketing Company,then Blue Circle and it was Lafarge last I heard.
The railway sidings at Hope Works are still known as Earle’s Sidings to this day,and still used too.

Nice pics of E & F Beattie remember them well.
Had a coal yard and railway sidings on Bennett street Ardwick. Their garage was also on Bennett street although not in the same place. Seem to remember they had a right mix of Wagons.