Peak District.

6369742C-3CE1-437C-A01E-4FBEE684E8F0.jpeg
Wirksworth fire station ,48 years and 250 horse power difference.

I bet you were only about ten when you took that top pic Dan? :confused:

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

I was minus 5 :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

I was minus 5 :laughing:

:open_mouth: I suppose being an o/d does age folk prematurely? :wink: I don’t remember Jeff having that ERF but then with me being in the garage, and rebuilding sodding Gardner engines endlessly, I didn’t have much contact with the ‘outside world’ at that time! :laughing:

Pete.

My artic driver 29 yrs ago in his first lorry :smiley:

Have we had this one on before found it on a site about Salford M/Chester dont know what its doing on their :unamused:

The scrip above the grille reads MR E 290 which refers to Eric Wardle who can be seen in the drivers seat and his love for the big ■■■■■■■■ When coming back up the M1 Eric would regularly, off his own bat,divert up the M6 to Enterprise Diesels at Burslem to “have it opened up a bit” Being an own account fleet, such frivolities were tolerated!

Limey:
The scrip above the grille reads MR E 290 which refers to Eric Wardle who can be seen in the drivers seat and his love for the big ■■■■■■■■ When coming back up the M1 Eric would regularly, off his own bat,divert up the M6 to Enterprise Diesels at Burslem to “have it opened up a bit” Being an own account fleet, such frivolities were tolerated!

Eric , Dave Blood and your old man , what a trio , but they were damned good drivers .

rigsby:

Limey:

Eric , Dave Blood and your old man , what a trio , but they were damned good drivers .

…and all three of them just about still with us Dave.

Wardle taught me how to ride a bicycle many years ago. He charged behind me pushing as hard as he could until I was travelling at what seemed like 100mph and then shouted “ Now pedal hard youth”

Limey:

rigsby:

Limey:

…and all three of them just about still with us Dave.

Wardle taught me how to ride a bicycle many years ago. He charged behind me pushing as hard as he could until I was travelling at what seemed like 100mph and then shouted “ Now pedal hard youth”

How is your dad , I haven’t seen him for a long time . I don’t get out with the Covid 19 , the cancer job did for me , I can’t walk much anyway . Mustn’t grumble though , still breathing and getting fatter . I think we had the best times .

He was doing alright up till about 18 months ago Dave, 6 days a week on a Lomas tank for Johnny Goodwin. Then I got a typical text message from him “Had a heart attack” “In Stepping Hill” “Be home in a couple of days” Unsurprisingly he wasn’t home in a couple of days, and when he did get home it was minus his licence so that didn’t go down at all well.

Before all this business started he had slowly begun to get himself back in action by doing some tanker training for ■■■■. Amusingly one of his pupils was FFFred Kirk who is still on the road at 83. I can’t recall where they went, but it took them all day. Fred drove and he blew the tank off!

Thought I would post this on here. 1:24 scale model of a Staveley ERF B series but with Dads lettering and numbers.

Mickle:
Thought I would post this on here. 1:24 scale model of a Staveley ERF B series but with Dads lettering and numbers.

Coo! They’re impressive! Not often you see really good models of the SP cab. :sunglasses: Ro

MCc00204-38.jpg

1979 Fodens.

Click on pages twice.

While cleaning a drawer out this week I came across this time sheet of mine from my Tilcon days at Ballidon quarry. Why I kept it I haven’t a clue, it has the weekly wash on it and my visits to the wash bay were very few and far between, and usually initiated by our TM who was disgusted with the state of my truck! :blush:

Anyway it shows the pay scheme we were on, a very good one and why there was a waiting list for prospective drivers. Loading time etc was paid at rate and a half. When the tipper side was sold off our TM took the few remaining tippers over and was obliged to keep the same pay structure, alas with a lot of the work being very low rated (as Malmic can confirm) he struggled to do that and things did change. The Lichfield’s would have been to Bison Flooring at Dovehouse Fields, a poorly rated job but they did have several hundred tonnes of 10mm daily so a good payer for the quarry but not for the haulage. One chap did three loads there daily for over twenty years. Dudley was a regular run for a while with black to Lister Road council depot, we usually loaded around 5.20 am so missed most of the traffic. I’m guessing there wasn’t much work on as I was set on feeding the then new tar plant at Pinvin village near Pershore, a strange plant as it was all under cover and looked just like a warehouse with a chimney poking through the roof because it was almost on a housing estate. :wink:

For Hulland, and back loads of granite from Mancetter quarry near Atherstone, we were paid a sum of cash, that changed later to mileage and loading time so the lads doing six loads a day to Hulland had eight hours pay just for for loading without any driving time! :laughing: They kept going while some of us were standing when work was slack, and some were on that run again for twenty+ years. Happy times, with good tackle, but we didn’t appreciate back then just how good it was of course! :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
While cleaning a drawer out this week I came across this time sheet of mine from my Tilcon days at Ballidon quarry. Why I kept it I haven’t a clue, it has the weekly wash on it and my visits to the wash bay were very few and far between, and usually initiated by our TM who was disgusted with the state of my truck! :blush:

Anyway it shows the pay scheme we were on, a very good one and why there was a waiting list for prospective drivers. Loading time etc was paid at rate and a half. When the tipper side was sold off our TM took the few remaining tippers over and was obliged to keep the same pay structure, alas with a lot of the work being very low rated (as Malmic can confirm) he struggled to do that and things did change. The Lichfield’s would have been to Bison Flooring at Dovehouse Fields, a poorly rated job but they did have several hundred tonnes of 10mm daily so a good payer for the quarry but not for the haulage. One chap did three loads there daily for over twenty years. Dudley was a regular run for a while with black to Lister Road council depot, we usually loaded around 5.20 am so missed most of the traffic. I’m guessing there wasn’t much work on as I was set on feeding the then new tar plant at Pinvin village near Pershore, a strange plant as it was all under cover and looked just like a warehouse with a chimney poking through the roof because it was almost on a housing estate. :wink:

For Hulland, and back loads of granite from Mancetter quarry near Atherstone, we were paid a sum of cash, that changed later to mileage and loading time so the lads doing six loads a day to Hulland had eight hours pay just for for loading without any driving time! :laughing: They kept going while some of us were standing when work was slack, and some were on that run again for twenty+ years. Happy times, with good tackle, but we didn’t appreciate back then just how good it was of course! :unamused:

Pete.

I remember many years ago seeing one of the tanker drivers pay slips and had to be helped up off the floor!