Peak District.

BonkeyDollocks:
Roadworks at Buxton Rd Ashbourne mid 60s. Photos courtesy Lorraine Jeffrey via facebook.

Hello Kelvin. Good pics.,you’ve come across. Gregorys {Slinter Mining} Austin/Morris,ran a fair few Commers in the 60s as did most. They ran some ex Derbyshire Stone FG Fodens also in the 60s.wonder if there are any pics.,about. I recall that little Bedford running around to but not the owner,“grocers” ? All the chances I had to take photos in the past but hardly gave it a thought :confused: . Mike :slight_smile:

The final week for the Merc over 13 years good service,known locally as triggers brush :smiley: ,1.4 million Kms through out the uk Europe and Scandinavia once too , a great shot here standing in the depot loaded for Dumferline and north Bewick :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
The final week for the Merc over 13 years good service,known locally as triggers brush :smiley: ,1.4 million Kms through out the uk Europe and Scandinavia once too , a great shot here standing in the depot loaded for Dumferline and north Bewick :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Sprinter came past me 1 morning in the week southbound on M1. Might’ve been Monday, had some sort of metal cabinets on, had the hiab on the back.

Was wondering about the location to this pic. I’m thinking the turn for Hassop off the A6 just outside Bakewell.

Interesting set of photos detailing the results of when a local brook burst its banks after a period of sustained heavy rain in July 1973:

Seen this Dan Thought of you, Foden No Ad Blue Drivers card Company Card.

dectez:
Seen this Dan Thought of you, Foden No Ad Blue Drivers card Company Card.

Your only gelous as youve spoilt your self on new lorries :laughing:

I heard the sad news today that ex Tilcon, STB Transport and Grimshaws Haulage driver Dave ‘Pup’ Robinson passed away recently at the age of 67. A cracking bloke, Dave spent most of his driving time at Ballidon Quarry (as did his late father George) and was a great bloke to work alongside. Sadly he lost his nerve 20+ years ago and had to stop driving trucks, I understand that he suffered a stroke earlier this year and various complications followed. RIP Dave, we had some good times together. :cry:

NMP

Pete.

Sad news indeed Pete you couldn’t have met a nicer man.
It was George that kept him driving as long has he did

BonkeyDollocks:
Was wondering about the location to this pic. I’m thinking the turn for Hassop off the A6 just outside Bakewell.

Spot on Bonkey,at Ashford in the Water. :smiley:

malmic:
Sad news indeed Pete you couldn’t have met a nicer man.
It was George that kept him driving as long has he did

After George passed away you might recall that his nephew rode with him a lot Mick, if he had been left on the Hulland run I think he would have been OK as he knew what he was doing and could natter away on his CB to all and sundry! However he was sent to Stratford, East London, with a load of stone (for those of us on ‘black’ not our normal stamping ground) and got lost, couldn’t find his way off of the M25 and almost ran out of fuel. The yard where he eventually tipped gave him some fuel to get home and were actually concerned for his health. He was off work a long while after that, then he came back for just one day . He was sent with me to near Cardiff with tarmac (I did question that decision with the gaffer but was overruled as he thought a ride out would do him good! :unamused: ) and he wasn’t comfortable at all. He had no CB so stuck to my taildoor like glue all the way! When we got there he couldn’t talk properly and was wet through with sweat, we picked sand up at Meriden and he was as white as a ghost. We got back to the quarry and he never spoke but just got into his car and I never saw him again. Nerves are a strange thing, and he was one of the last people you would think that suffered from them, but it can affect any of us. As you say he was a great lad and we had some laughs together on coated with Cotty, Fred Brownlee and Ray! :laughing:

Pete.

A couple from today around Chapel.

Yesterday I (belatedly) learned that former driver at Tilcon, W.H Phillips, and latterley also an owner driver, Dennis Bond had passed away a month or so ago. Dennis was a real ‘grafter’ and also a smashing bloke. He had also been the licensee of a PH in Wirksworth for a while. The weighbridge dispatch clerk at Ballidon quarry, Tommy Wibberley, used to despair of Dennis at times because he would ‘vanish’ for several days finding his own work even though employed by Tilcon. “Have you seen Dennis Bond, I sent him to Lichfield two days ago and he hasn’t returned yet?” was the question Tom asked drivers! :laughing: Dennis would tip at Lichfield, load sand just down the road from Hints and take that to Meriden for blending. Then collect asphalt sand from Meriden and run across to Gore quarry at Kington with it, reload granite for West Drayton and then nip into Fords at Dagenham for scrap back to Rotherham. All off of his own bat, the quarry knew nothing about it! :wink:

When Tilcon were selling off some of the fleet Dennis was one of the first to take up the offer of purchasing one of the trucks, coincidently he chose the Foden fitted with the Gardner 230 Turbo (the only one we had) which was driven at that time by David Robinson who’s own funeral takes place next monday. RIP Dennis. :cry:

Dennis Bond’s hard worked Tilcon owned Foden which he had new.

dennis bond.png Not my pic

Pete.

He was a grafter Pete without a doubt.
He had 3 businesses going simultaneously back in the 60,s.
One of his favourite runs was Scotch and then granite back from Northumberland to Salford.

These may have been on before, just bumping up the thread :unamused:

On the A50,looks like on of the Rigsby crew :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

On the A50,looks like on of the Rigsby crew :open_mouth:

Aye Dan , looks like one of Summers/Hazelcroft , naughty boy .