Peak District.

Here’s a couple for my mate ‘thelongdrag’. Middle Peak quarry from the good old days of ‘73 and an overview of the quarry.

Hi Kelv.
Nice photo’s mate. The ex Hoveringham Comet of Phillips doing a good job emptying the bins in its twilight years,and that AEC with the dumper body was brand new before Derbyshire Stone took over.Always seemed a waste but I was probably jealous with some of the stuff I was riding around in. Always wondered if it was a Mercury or a Mandator,never got to find out and I saw nearly every day. :confused: Mike.

windrush:

rastone:
I bet they made more brass with them and could work on them in the yard( I suppose some bright spark will say they needed to).Pete did you ever drive one or are you a bit snooty with the blue oval on the grill. If you said you wouldn’t want to drive one even when it was new, why.The first ones did have a brake problem though but it did get sorted.I sold a lot to Tarmac for their owner drivers and not just round here but in the North West.
Sign the order here Pete and I’ll include a couple of tanks of Diesel which should be enough for a month

Tony

No snobbery Tony, I just talked to those drivers (not owners as they spent the money so were biased!) who drove them and felt as though their spine was being pushed through their chest! They did the job OK though and had a decent enough payload, mechanically they were very much the same as the Fodens I drove and maintained so easily repaired without any fancy tackle but I preferred the roomier and comfier sprung Foden cab that didn’t rot away after only about ten years! :wink: I did drive one of Paylings 7.5 tonners briefly though, the brakes on that scared me when empty as it felt like it was going to stand on its nose with only gentle pedal pressure. :open_mouth:

Pete.

This Cargo subject should now be on the Cargo site but as Rei old ■■■■ said he preffered the D-Series cab but there would be a bit of a problem putting an L-10 under it.The 28t artic would have had a Perkins I thought the D-Series was a more comfortable cab but then I was on the other side of the fence.As a chassis and unit without the body or a tractor unit on it’s own on both motors the throttle pedal was a bit difficult to control I couldn’t keep my foot still when I brought one down fom Aberdeen at the time they were making the new motorway.That’s where I became aware the Eddie Stobart ran more than one Cargo ,I thought he was an owner driver working out of Hulland and going up the A 52.As you all know he ran a lot of them in various form in fact we used to service them at T.C.H.Of course as usual I was wrong.You know Pete there quite a few folk repeated them and perhaps not many but two folk I know was Robert Hadfield and his dad Malcom had a couple of four wheelers with a C-Series.Our friend Mr Eric Barker had some back trouble and he bought an Iveco which was comfortable.I bet there was a bit of excitement when that hapenned.As you know he had one of those funny E.R.F’s but he did go back to a Leyland.His lad ran the Iveco for some time but as they did rotted away.I wasn’t aware he had any bother with it.The engines were good.
Cargo 2424 tipper chassis cab in 1989 you could get one for 33k including a Jacket on the back of the seat.If my memory serves me right I think Mr Woolly had his uprateted by ■■■■■■■ in Manchester

I think the lads at Ballidon uprated theirs as well Tony, Mick would know. They did modify the cab to fit Jake brakes, they pulled well and neither of my Fodens with L10’s could live with them on hills but one Foden was very high geared with the overdrive box and could hit the limiter still with another gear to go so slower on bank’s but great on the motorway. I remember Eric’s Iveco as he came into Ballidon at times with it.

Pete.

malmic:
I wonder how long some of today’s drivers would last if you took the Scanias and Volvos off them and gave them a Cargo to jog round in

I used to love my Cargo

Re above ^^^, I thought the old Cargo was much more comfortable than the D-series. I was no fan of the D-series and the best one I drove had a V8 ■■■■■■■ in it and was still a ‘rice pudding’ job! I once did a trip to Germany with a Cargo sleeper and it was no trouble (other than the obvious disadvantage of the small cab). If you gave me a Cargo with an L10 and 9-speed Fuller :sunglasses: (a common set-up with the later Cargos) I’d take one to Europe tomorrow rather than the new metal supplied today! Woops that was an old ■■■■ comment - I must get out of the habit!! :laughing: Robert

thelongdrag:
Hi Kelv.
Nice photo’s mate. The ex Hoveringham Comet of Phillips doing a good job emptying the bins in its twilight years,and that AEC with the dumper body was brand new before Derbyshire Stone took over.Always seemed a waste but I was probably jealous with some of the stuff I was riding around in. Always wondered if it was a Mercury or a Mandator,never got to find out and I saw nearly every day. :confused: Mike.

You’re very welcome Mike.

Always thought it was a Phillips tub, obviously before they moved onto eight leggers. Also in the first pic, is that the wetmix plant just poking in on the right? If so, it would have been just to the side of the tarmac plant - much like the setup at Topley Pike.

PS please enjoy these pics of another set from your neck of the woods;Middleton Mine. No date with these but obviously quite early as there are rail lines running through the works:

4C3FDA05-4CDF-42E9-A562-7EBB10C19927.jpeg

The mine photos could be dated by the fact Churchill avenue is built and King street but no style Croft yet

The bin you can see in the first pic.,is what we called the new batcher,it was half way between the new bins and the new tarmac plant. Here is a pic that has been on before with it in the middle foreground.The wet mix/lean mix plant was in the bottom yard ,that was the old bins and yard that you can see at the back with the crusher house on the far right.And here I am loading under that very bin. :slight_smile: Mike.

VDA544M.jpg

Where have them 45 years gone then Mike ?

BonkeyDollocks:

thelongdrag:
Hi Kelv.

You’re very welcome Mike.

Always thought it was a Phillips tub, obviously before they moved onto eight leggers. Also in the first pic, is that the wetmix plant just poking in on the right? If so, it would have been just to the side of the tarmac plant - much like the setup at Topley Pike.

PS please enjoy these pics of another set from your neck of the woods;Middleton Mine. No date with these but obviously quite early as there are rail lines running through the works:

Wow, like that view with the Simplex loco actually working.
There was one stood derelict in Ashwood Dale in the late 60s.
It was cut up on site, for scrap.

phop:
Where have them 45 years gone then Mike ?

Hi Paul. Yes they whistle by,just wish like a lot more on here I had taken more photos. Hope all your lot are keeping ok,take care. Mick.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Punchy Dan:
The mine photos could be dated by the fact Churchill avenue is built and King street but no style Croft yet

Hi Dan. Yes that’s interesting,to narrow it down a bit the Middleton Mine to High Peak section of the CHP Railway closed in April 67 as I’m sure you are aware. When I used to go in there a bit in the sixties G Housleys staff always seemed to be working there,are there any old ledgers tucked away at the Manor with some job info in[emoji6] Some good pics BD keeps finding. Must have been a bit quite on the spreading front,that dust shed,that doesn’t look very old (no damage) use to empty pretty quick when it was busy,but of course Prospect would be on the go at that time. Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Punchy Dan - re some pics you posted a little while ago - am I right in believing that Graham Hadfield is/was the son of Captain Hadfield (he swore that was his name!) who used to drive the face shovel at Mercaston in the 60’s/70’s?

Steve

Ste46:
Punchy Dan - re some pics you posted a little while ago - am I right in believing that Graham Hadfield is/was the son of Captain Hadfield (he swore that was his name!) who used to drive the face shovel at Mercaston in the 60’s/70’s?

Steve

Sorry Steve I don’t know .

image.jpeg
Another load of quality stone from the Peak District :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Great shot there Dan, Good stone , But being hauled by a true & good haulage firm whom I dont doubt give a service second to none to their customers, Keep up the good work Dan, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Great shot there Dan, Good stone , But being hauled by a true & good haulage firm whom I dont doubt give a service second to none to their customers, Keep up the good work Dan, Regards Larry.

Thank you Larry ,I heard they sheet stone up ■■■■■■■ :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

They certainly do plus it must be 5 star otherwise they get black balled out as far as Mr B is concerned , : :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,Regards Larry.

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Stood at The Aviary Café on the A5 just south of Hinkley Knight, loaded with water worn limestone rockery ex Orton Scar for a Garden Centre in London. Second shot with a similar load standing in the garage doorway in Milnthorpe village.