Peak District.

Looks to be just north of Ashford in the water on the A6 ?

The best motor I ever drove to this day - MDB797P, Fleet No. 49.

Its sister motor MDB796P was fleet No. 50 - the guy in the paint shop had a bad day that day :laughing:

Draka 7.jpg

Next two, parked up for the night at Super Sausage Towcester.

Stanfield:

That AEC MK3 Mammoth Major is unusual having a sliding door on a “tin front” cab.

Chris Webb:

Stanfield:

That AEC MK3 Mammoth Major is unusual having a sliding door on a “tin front” cab.

You’re not wrong Chris, It’s an unusual cab. It’s a bit reminiscent of some of the Wincanton in-house designs.

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Stanfield:

You’re not wrong Chris, It’s an unusual cab. It’s a bit reminiscent of some of the Wincanton in-house designs.

I think that Tunnel Cement had one like it Graham. Aye,Wincanton built their own cabs in house when it was Wincanton Engineering and Transport.
The one in the photo has a 1958 Derbys C C plate,I think the Mk5s came out that year.

Nearly missed that Chris , they were double shifted and the wife’s Uncle Alf drove that one on days . I can’t recall how many ICI ran , they also had some side discharge tippers , bodies similar to the ones at Steel Peach and Tozers with the chutes that came out of the sides . Dave

rastone:

windrush:

phop:
Hi PETE Lenny frost still on for slinter got an 06 man,I think John Gibbs might be on refuse truck driving he moved upto bradwell running a pub after coal business but came back

Blimey, I’m 67 and Len is older than me! :wink:

Pete.

I reckon anybody is older than you.Hope you’ve got your bus pass and don’t forget your fuel allowance

and if you go to somwhere where they have consessions for older folk you can get a quid off.

Tony

A mere child Pete!

Steve

The mirror and my aching body tells me otherwise Steve! :open_mouth:

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

Man up Pete , you’ve only got another 8 years until you get your free tv licence , got mine last year . Early to bed and early to rise makes you knackered by dinnertime . Dave

thelongdrag:

Punchy Dan:
2would this be matlock transports ?

Hiya Dan good pics.,here is F912SNP and at the top of the yard is Foden Wrecker C187AAE
that in its former life belonged to Renwicks and ran out of Wanstrow as did the ERF. Coming to Matlock
when Permanite closed Wanstrow. There were two ERFs the drivers were Keith Abson and Terry Hill.
The Foden pic is one of Bubblemans I think. :confused: :smiley: . Mike.

Great photo of Matlocks yard, are they still in business today?

Kempston:
Great photo of Matlocks yard, are they still in business today?

Still very much in business, although I believe that some of the old yard is possibly earmarked for housing. Every piece of green space in our area is so why should that be different? :laughing:

Pete.

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

Man up Pete , you’ve only got another 8 years until you get your free tv licence , got mine last year . Early to bed and early to rise makes you knackered by dinnertime . Dave

Free TV as well when I hit my 70’s, blimey Dave, getting old does have fringe benefits besides a cracking pension then? :laughing: Never go to bed much before midnight, and always up at 7am. I have never needed much kip even when working, six hours a night was ample but then I was a tipper driver so had a cushy life and could catch up with sleep at the tarmac plant and while waiting to tip. :wink:

Pete.

3300John:

Dave Humphries:
Always enjoy reading this thread and the pics bring back great memories from 1969 to 1976 when I delivered the post to Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, Glossop, and picked up at Ashbourne post office on the way back. I drove Commer, TK, and Leyland Terriers back then - so I was always overtaking you chaps on the hills! - and I wonder if anyone remembers a smart DAF artic tanker from Broxburn (Edinburgh), possibly red and white, or blue and white, that used to go to a quarry in the Wirksworth area on a daily basis? I used to call for a cuppa at the cafe in Newhaven and have a chat with him while he had breakfast (11 am) and he reckoned he could do the run in a day, but only just! Happy days!

Hiya …that DAF from Broxbourn was driven buy my mate if it was the left ■■■■■■. he lives at Brassington.
John

I believe this was the company called Broxburn Haulage and was owned by Sloans and they ran to Peak District for limestone powder and back to ICI Dumfries on a daily basis. Didn’t Barnett and Graham of Penrith fame ( :exclamation: ) do the same sort of work,had a yard at Buxton - so it said ont cabs.Says Scotland - Middle East ont bumper,they would be hard pressed to do that in a day - unless the Middle East was Lincoln. :grimacing:
Not my photo by the way…

broxburn.jpg

Barnett and Graham were regulars in Ballidon quarry Chris, there is a pic of one on here somewhere when the Ballidon hauliers were picketing the weighbridge and they came in for a load.

Pete.

The Buxton “depot” reference Chris relates to the fact that they ran two Big J eight wheeler brick cranes out of Boral Edenhall.

Limey:
The Buxton “depot” reference Chris relates to the fact that they ran two Big J eight wheeler brick cranes out of Boral Edenhall.

Ok thanks,so no Buxton depot then. We used to change over in their “yard” at Penrith on night trunk.It was just west of the M6 on the A66 towards Workington and like the surface of the moon. Their tippers were in and out of there at all times I noticed… :unamused:

An old schoolpal of mine gave me these.We both lived in Froggatt as kids and Freddy Morton served his time as a steam loco fitter at Rowsley late 50s until it closed.He then worked int transport office at Laportes Cavendish Mill site.He sadly died a few years ago. I have some more from him somewhere and will post them when I can work out my filing system. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Matlock Transport and Laportes._0007.jpg

MatlockTransportandLaportes_0009.jpg

MatlockTransportandLaportes_0008.jpg

I have posted these before on effbook but not on here I don’t think. Given to me by Freddy Morton just before he passed away at his home in Darley Dale.I think there is somebody on here that knows about Permanite,if I’n not mistaken they were based int Matlock area and made those round blocks,like Pitchmastic. Not sure… :unamused:
The Matlock Transport LAD Dodge has a 1958 Derby CBC reg plate.

Matlock Transport and Laportes._0005.jpg

Matlock Transport and Laportes_0004.jpg

Matlock Transport and Laportes_0003.jpg

Permanite in Matlock closed a couple of years or more ago Chris, although I believe that have another plant locally? A neighbour of mine and also one of my clubmates drove Dodges for MT in the past, Charlie Lowe passed away a few years ago and I’m not sure which of the brother’s are still involved with the company nowadays? I heard that George Lowe’s daughter’s are part of it now, Mike (the Longdrag) will know. George did offer me a job there years ago though, a Clydesdale with a sleeper cab was parked in the yard without a driver and George said I could have it. “Set off on a Monday, come back either Friday or Saturday and sort your work out” was the job description. I asked about money; “That ruins many a gaffer/worker relationship” was his reply, " The more I pay you then the more time my girls in the office have to spend sorting it all out, that costs ME money". I didn’t take the job, stayed at Tilcon, but I did sell George a camping trailer and also a trailer tent, plus I painted and refurbished the toilets on his camping field for him so did work for him in a way!! :laughing: They must be decent company though, the tackle looks good and some drivers have been there for many years.

Pete.