Pay back training costs?

Thanks for replies everyone, Add more if you want. But as it stands, I will be leaving and handing my notice in shortly, so I will keep you posted

Jamiemufu:
I will be leaving and handing my notice in shortly

I wouldn’t mind taking your job after, could do with the experience:mrgreen:

Even if you did sign a contract to pay back any training fees, the contract has to be fair and realistic, they cannot just come up with an unrealistic fee that can’t be justified… otherwise, you can challenge the contract under the ‘unfair contract’ rule.

Without seeing the contract and based on what you have written I would have to say it is dubious at best.
The company could deduct an amount from your wages based on what they consider the cost of on the job training for you was.

However you could also sue them for recovery of this amount if you felt it was unfair albeit with lots of letters and e-mails asking for it back first.

The company is unlikely to go after you as they would have to show the true costs/damages they incurred, pay legal fees and generally waste time trying to recover it.

But don’t believe what some anonymous poster on the internet tells you, as mentioned seek real world advice to be on the safe side if your unsure.

It is illegal to attempt to re-coup the costs of training that the driver legally needs to perform his duties, i.e. your ADR. They could however recoup costs for non-vocational courses they paid for (like cake-making at college), as that isn’t a legal requirement.