PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Great stuff on Sam Longsons Dean, another sizeable real old company that pretty much everyone knows. :slight_smile:

Garn Scania.

Ferryspeed Scania.

James Kemball Scania.

Maritime Scania.

Dont think the unit is Dennis Oates ■■

DR & FA Ford Volvo with tidy sheeting.

Turners DAF.

Pitchford Steelstock Scania.Is that Pitchford Shrewsbury ■■

Always liked the colour scheme of the Pentons fleet.

Cant remember if we have had a W.J.Griffiths motor on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

I am sure there was a car transporter company that had this colour scheme ■■

Volvo Shell tanker.

Blue Circle Cement Constructor.Looks like a Scimitar behind.

Anyone know where the Fiat of Hollis Transport is from ■■ Is that a Datsun going the other way ?

R.H.Roadstone Foden. Marina shed behind.

Nice shot of Elliotts chinese six Foden in their yard. What is the model S ■■

Wilds Motors ERF. The timber yard is long gone and an Asda has been built on the site.

Pete,looks like an ex Tilcon Foden.

Fine Fare Volvo F7.

Rugby Cement ERF.

A0A0AAAC-CED7-437E-AA55-E0935E9490BD.jpeg

Have a feeling they were from Reading Dean but not 100% sure.

Yes Hollis were from Reading, I replaced the 4/98 engine in their Leyland Terrier as it had a porous block where the liner seals located. A former workmate of mine rallies an ex Longsons ERF unit.

Pete.

Nice shot of Elliotts chinese six Foden in their yard. What is the model S ■■

Its the Motor Panels all steel cab as fitted to other makes in different guises, GUY, Seddon etc. Foden gave it the S40 tag, initially mainly intended for overseas it also sold well in the UK. Franky.

Actually looking again the Elliott’s unit seems to have the extended front panel of the S.41 cab, it isn’t so noticeable in the photo, but having the 8LXB fitted it would need the extra room for the high capacity radiator. Franky.

DEANB:

vwvanman0:
Quinton hazell are a car parts manufacturer, saw a clip somewhere on here of the actual Quinton H discussing the future of british Leyland, he sounded like he was from the West Midlands?

Thanks for the info “vwvanman0” :wink:

Chris Webb:
“vwvanman0” Quinton hazell are a car parts manufacturer, saw a clip somewhere on here of the actual Quinton H discussing the future of british Leyland, he sounded like he was from the West Midlands?

I remember they made exhaust systems.Started in Colwyn Bay and had plants in Lancaster and Leamington.They were bought out by Tetrosyl apparantly.

Cheers Chris. :wink:

mushroomman:
“Chris Webb” “DEANB” No replies about the Atkins / subby Fiat ■■ :unamused:

Hi Dean.
The Atkins liveried Fiat has a RR Nottingham reg and is called “The Lincolnshire Poacher”,so will more than likely be a subbie. I do recall seeing something similar at their depot at Findern Derby in 70s,a subbie’s name on headboard.

Hi Dean, do you remember me asking if you had a copy of a Long Distance Diary about a Berrisford’s or it might of been an Atkins motor going out to Hungary sometime in the seventies. Well it must of been an Atkins motor as the driver made a remark about the rego being a T-cup BRA and I am now thinking that he was driving a Fiat.
I have been looking back through hundreds of Trucknet posts and I now think that it was Trucknet user Dreva or Bubbleman who posted the story which has now been deleted.
It must be out there somewhere. :cry:

Yes i do remember your post and i did put a LDD on page 546 although it was not the one you are on about. I dont remember one of Atkins or
Beresfords doing a LDD to Hungary but i could be wrong. :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
The Tube Investment Bedford has a Wolverhampton reg on it so I would presume it worked out of the Seamless Tube Co. in Wednesfield, now demolished and replaced by Tata Steel park. The Bedford would have been blue and likely to have been supplied by Attwoods the local Bedford dealer, Cheer’s Pete

“pete smith”]“Chris Webb” "vwvanman0"Quinton hazell are a car parts manufacturer, saw a clip somewhere on here of the actual Quinton H discussing the future of british Leyland, he sounded like he was from the West Midlands?

I remember they made exhaust systems.Started in Colwyn Bay and had plants in Lancaster and Leamington.They were bought out by Tetrosyl apparantly.

Hi Chris,
Quinton Hazell have got to be the first manufacturer of alternative parts for vehicles from brake pads, lamps etc they manufactured the lot.
I think it was Automotive Products in Leamington Spa or were AP part of the same group? Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the comments Pete,good stuff chap. :smiley:

vwvanman0:
There is an interesting obituary about Q H from the independent, he apparently broke the cartel of manufacturers only supplying spares and the firm was tge biggest automotive supplier in Europe at one time, he was Manchester born and died in 1996, sorry bit off topic.

Shame the guy big j article didn’t show the rear of the cab with the big Gardner sticking out!

Steve

Hopefully a pic of the Guy will appear one day Steve. :wink:

5thwheel:
“DEANB”

1. Anyone remember the Routemaster hotel at Felixstowe.

Hi Dean,yes enjoyed Routemaster on a regular basis when taking Seatrain containers to Felixstowe driving for Humber McVeigh from Salford,used to relish a hot bath with endless hot water and of course the crack around the bar where millions of miles were driven!
Good days.

David

:smiley: Glad you remembered it David. :wink:

Just had a look on google maps and it looks like the building is still there and the end nearest the roundabout looks to be in use but the
far end is boarded up. Sleeper cabs put an end to it i suppose. :unamused:

Will pop something on about Humber McVeigh in the next few days. :wink:

tonyj105:
“DEANB” Some odds and sods.

1. Anyone remember the Routemaster hotel at Felixstowe.

when i worked at Ferrymasters desborough i got seconded to the Felixstowe depot for a week and that’s where they booked me in for the whole week , would have been around 1976 i suppose , i would only have been around 20 years old , mind you it was better than the fortnight they put me through at the altrincham head office, 7th floor no opening windows and working with 2 chain smokers , old norman at felixstowe was a much better bet.
tony

:laughing: :laughing: Good memories Tony. :wink:

gazsa401:
Hey up Dean spent many a night out at the Routemaster it was getting very dated by the 90s
If you wanted a shower there they would give a rose off a watering can to screw on to the shower fixing (honestly)
Also if you wanted a bath they’d give you a master key to open any of the bathrooms as most were unused it was on a chain attached to a piece of wood
The food was great all freshly cooked
Happy memories thanks for posting the advert
Thanks Gary

Sounds like the Routemaster was a popular stop. Thats a cracker about the shower Gary. :laughing: :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

“Daz” Check this beauty out !

Hall Aggregates Routeman seen here between Branksome and Westbourne,Bournemouth.

Hiya Dean just having a quick browse on this page and i have just seen the Hall Aggregates Scammell Routeman tipper which is travelling in between Branksome and Westbourne Bournemouuth what a cracking pictrue she looks loaded up wth sand ready to be delived to a job on a building site. Them 2.20 Rolls Royce engines sounded the part coming down the road the Siberia drink water Leyland constructor six tipper look brilliant as well and the other six wheel Leyland constructor tipper looks good too which i have never before. By the way Dean many for the photos you sent me over by email Regards Darren :smiley: :wink:

Glad you liked it Daz. :wink:

5thwheel:
“DEANB”

Interesting comments on the fitting of a Gardner 8LXB to the Big J Dean!,alas can’t tell what engine is in the pictured Big J.

Thanks for posting.

David

One will turn up no doubt eventually by mistake i reckon David. It will be in an article or possibly a trailer brochure. :wink:

finbarot:
Hi Dean

You must be almost out of ammo now mate, another previously unseen Drinkwater motor. Id just give up If I were you :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers mate

You will have to keep looking in to find out Tony. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

acd1202:
“DEANB”

1. Says Dutton Transport on the headboard but other names on the door of the leyland.

The name on the door of the Dutton Transport Leyland is D.T. & N. Keighley Ltd. They were all the same, when Joe Keighley started in business he traded as Dutton Transport, due to being based in the small village of Dutton between Clitheroe and Longridge. Later when his sons Derek and Neville took over and expanded they formed the limited company but continued to trade as Dutton Transport, so the two names.

Thanks for the information about Dutton Transport “acd1202” :wink:

Heres a clipping from 1984.

Chris Webb:
“pete smith” Hi Dean,
The Tube Investment Bedford has a Wolverhampton reg on it so I would presume it worked out of the Seamless Tube Co. in Wednesfield, now demolished and replaced by Tata Steel park. The Bedford would have been blue and likely to have been supplied by Attwoods the local Bedford dealer, Cheer’s Pete

Pete,
Was it Joseph Foulkes from Wednesfield that worked out of Seamless Tubes?

Chris, Heres an advert for Joseph Foulkes. :wink:

steam:
“DEANB”

Anyone recognise these two F88 Volvo’s registration number’s ■■

Looks very much like they could be E.F.Phillips motor’s and both pic’s were taken in Parkstone where they had a yard.But there’s were normally sign written.

Im sure the 2 Volvos were owned by Cecil Compton Transport of Poole.

Nice one “steam” :wink: Would that have been the dad of Mark Compton ■■ :unamused:

Not sure how Cecil and Mark were related , could have been father and son; I dont know im afraid.

240 Gardner:
“acd1202”
The name on the door of the Dutton Transport Leyland is D.T. & N. Keighley Ltd. They were all the same, when Joe Keighley started in business he traded as Dutton Transport, due to being based in the small village of Dutton between Clitheroe and Longridge. Later when his sons Derek and Neville took over and expanded they formed the limited company but continued to trade as Dutton Transport, so the two names.

I was at school with Derrick’s sons (his son Neville was in my year) and I presume that everything went pear-shaped when Derrick died (suddenly, as I recall). I think he was also Chairman of Blackburn Rovers in those pre-Walker days.

Actually, that very motor is still alive today:

Nice pic Chris,good to see the old girl has been saved. :wink:

240 Gardner:
"DEANB"Wincanton ERF chinese six wrecker.

Pretty sure this is an ex-Sutton’s motor, and which has since been restored

Thanks Chris. :smiley:

kingswinford kit:
“DEANB”

Heres a few Hoover motors that may bring back some memories. :wink:

Hi Dean ,cheers ! they certainly do bring back memories ,most Sunday afternoons ,then it was AEC Mandators hauling appliances to Cambuslang in Scotland and returning with washing machine motors back for Merthyr
Their was also a trailer change over point at Penrith ,regards Keith

Happy days Keith. :wink:

morning dean,me parked up in beatock Tuesday night on way to motherwell,some trucks in same lay by ,backloaded elldis transport consett

Morning Dean,
Pitchford Steelstock are from Pedmore road Brierley Hill which ironically is opposite what used to be Round Oak steelworks now of course home to the Merry Hill shopping centre

W J Griffiths are/was from Suckley in Worcester, used to see them in Robertsons jam factory in Droylesden Manchester (now demolished) and also at a site in Ledbury whose name escapes me at the minute but was owned by RHM as was Robertson jams, where is Gingerfold when you need him! ( I do know the answer to that one) Cheer’s Pete

Ford are from Wem in Shropshire, looks like a load of fertiliser from C.F at Ince,

Just checked the Bournemouth webcam Dean, cracking looking morning down there by the looks of it, people already paddle boarding! if it wasn’t for bloody covid we’d be down there this weekend for sure. :imp:

After scrolling back a few pages i came across this advert for Caffyns…The 3 Leylands in the photo belong to Ash Suppliers from Sittingbourne, the firm my dad used to drive for.
The 3 lorries in the photo were displayed on the Leyland stand at the 1980 Kent County Show being some of the first of that type to be sold.
Being a relatively small firm of about a dozen vehicles, photos of them are extremely rare and i only have a couple myself…indeed I even got in touch with Caffyns hoping to get a copy of the original photo from the advert but unfortunately to no avail.
Ash Suppliers ceased trading around the late 80’s, their last trucks being mainly Mercedes and a couple of Volvo’s.

Chris Webb:

joseph foulkes ppg.jpg

Thanks Dean.
They were a regular sight on the A38 heading north in 60s and 70s. :slight_smile:

:wink:

Kempston:
Great stuff on Sam Longsons Dean, another sizeable real old company that pretty much everyone knows. :slight_smile:

Glad you liked it “Kempston” :wink:

Kempston:

Cheers. :smiley:

windrush:
Yes Hollis were from Reading, I replaced the 4/98 engine in their Leyland Terrier as it had a porous block where the liner seals located. A former workmate of mine rallies an ex Longsons ERF unit.

Pete.

Cheers Pete. :wink: Did you see the old Foden,looked like an ex Tilcon ? :unamused:

Frankydobo:
Actually looking again the Elliott’s unit seems to have the extended front panel of the S.41 cab, it isn’t so noticeable in the photo, but having the 8LXB fitted it would need the extra room for the high capacity radiator. Franky.

I reckon you are right Franky as Paul Gee messaged me quoting the same model. :laughing: :wink:

steam:
“DEANB”

Nice one “steam” :wink: Would that have been the dad of Mark Compton ■■ :unamused:

Not sure how Cecil and Mark were related , could have been father and son; I dont know im afraid.

Thanks “steam” Someone on here i am sure drove for Mark Compton so they may know if they see this. :wink:

smallcoal:
morning dean,me parked up in beatock Tuesday night on way to motherwell,some trucks in same lay by ,backloaded elldis transport consett

Hello John,thanks for the pics mate. I popped a bit on about Elldis on page 491. :smiley: :wink:

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
Pitchford Steelstock are from Pedmore road Brierley Hill which ironically is opposite what used to be Round Oak steelworks now of course home to the Merry Hill shopping centre

Cheers Pete. :smiley:

pete smith:
W J Griffiths are/was from Suckley in Worcester, used to see them in Robertsons jam factory in Droylesden Manchester (now demolished) and also at a site in Ledbury whose name escapes me at the minute but was owned by RHM as was Robertson jams, where is Gingerfold when you need him! ( I do know the answer to that one) Cheer’s Pete

Cheers Pete, i bet Roberson Jams was a busy place ! :smiley: :wink: Wheres Gingerfold, he’s on facebook ! :unamused:

pete smith:
Ford are from Wem in Shropshire, looks like a load of fertiliser from C.F at Ince,

Nice bit of sheeting on that load Pete,thanks for the info chap. :wink:

Kempston:
Just checked the Bournemouth webcam Dean, cracking looking morning down there by the looks of it, people already paddle boarding! if it wasn’t for bloody covid we’d be down there this weekend for sure. :imp:

Hello “Kempston” it will be rammed down there today as its a scorcher here ! :smiley: Dont go near the place in the summer chap,far too busy. :unamused: :laughing:

Mark R:
After scrolling back a few pages i came across this advert for Caffyns…The 3 Leylands in the photo belong to Ash Suppliers from Sittingbourne, the firm my dad used to drive for.
The 3 lorries in the photo were displayed on the Leyland stand at the 1980 Kent County Show being some of the first of that type to be sold.
Being a relatively small firm of about a dozen vehicles, photos of them are extremely rare and i only have a couple myself…indeed I even got in touch with Caffyns hoping to get a copy of the original photo from the advert but unfortunately to no avail.
Ash Suppliers ceased trading around the late 80’s, their last trucks being mainly Mercedes and a couple of Volvo’s.

:unamused: I wondered where you had been Mark. :laughing: Where are the photos then chap of Ash Suppliers ■■ :unamused:

Dont think i have anything else on them as not ringing a bell but will have a look. Did you drive for Richard Lawson ■■

Did you see this Foden as i am sure it was a car transporter company but cant remember the name ?

I think they were called dependable transport but could be wrong

DEANB:

Chris Webb:

joseph foulkes ppg.jpg

Thanks Dean.
They were a regular sight on the A38 heading north in 60s and 70s. :slight_smile:

:wink:

Kempston:

Glad you liked it “Kempston” :wink:

Kempston:

Cheers. :smiley:

windrush:

Pete.

Cheers Pete. :wink: Did you see the old Foden,looked like an ex Tilcon ? :unamused:

Frankydobo:

I reckon you are right Franky as Paul Gee messaged me quoting the same model. :laughing: :wink:

steam:
“DEANB”

Thanks “steam” Someone on here i am sure drove for Mark Compton so they may know if they see this. :wink:

smallcoal:

Hello John,thanks for the pics mate. I popped a bit on about Elldis on page 491. :smiley: :wink:

pete smith:
Morning Dean,

Cheers Pete. :smiley:

pete smith:

Cheers Pete, i bet Roberson Jams was a busy place ! :smiley: :wink: Wheres Gingerfold, he’s on facebook ! :unamused:

pete smith:

Nice bit of sheeting on that load Pete,thanks for the info chap. :wink:

Kempston:

Hello “Kempston” it will be rammed down there today as its a scorcher here ! :smiley: Dont go near the place in the summer chap,far too busy. :unamused: :laughing:

Mark R:

:unamused: I wondered where you had been Mark. :laughing: Where are the photos then chap of Ash Suppliers ■■ :unamused:

Dont think i have anything else on them as not ringing a bell but will have a look. Did you drive for Richard Lawson ■■

Did you see this Foden as i am sure it was a car transporter company but cant remember the name ?

Looks like the Foden is an ex. Autocar unit, they used to run AEC s as well if I remember right

steam:
Looks like the Foden is an ex. Autocar unit, they used to run AEC s as well if I remember right

Thats the one “steam” funny enough Paul Gee sent me a message last night saying the same. :smiley: :wink:

L0301p.JPG

A00387.JPG

A02606.JPG

Looks like they changed there colour scheme after these pics.

Article from 1987.

Click on pages twice to read.

Cars 1979.

Click on pages twice to read.

cars 79.jpg

Interesting and pityless for some British models. Very objective.