PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

T Jervis are Telford based, we used to run with them occasionally.

Pete.

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the roll on roll off Volvo.

R.Adams & Son’s MAN bulker.

Dont think we have had a J & L Lally motor on before,anyone know where they are based ■■

Have DR & FA Ford changed there colour scheme as i am sure we had one on before that i thought was
red and white ?

Mortimers Scania.

Think Clive Price is from your way Trevor.

Dont think we have had a TA Jervis motor on before,anyone know where they are based ■■

Bennett Heavy haulage Volvo.

Translact Volvo.

BOCM Pauls Volvo.

Hello DEAN ,i think Clive Price are more down Hereford that way ,but was nice to see Cadwallader brothers Scania ,they were based at Roddington that was nr HighErcall ,an out of the way place midway between Shrewsbury and Wellington .they did alot out of GKN Sankey, and salt from the Sandbach area .
I also enjoyed seeing T E Jones DAF ,their depot ,at Knockin Heath i believe is still up for sale ,thank you Trevor

tastrucker:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the roll on roll off Volvo.

R.Adams & Son’s MAN bulker.

Dont think we have had a J & L Lally motor on before,anyone know where they are based ■■

Have DR & FA Ford changed there colour scheme as i am sure we had one on before that i thought was
red and white ?

Mortimers Scania.

Dont think we have had a TA Jervis motor on before,anyone know where they are based ■■

Bennett Heavy haulage Volvo.

Translact Volvo.

BOCM Pauls Volvo.

Hello DEAN ,i think Clive Price are more down Hereford that way ,but was nice to see Cadwallader brothers Scania ,they were based at Roddington that was nr HighErcall ,an out of the way place midway between Shrewsbury and Wellington .they did alot out of GKN Sankey, and salt from the Sandbach area .
I also enjoyed seeing T E Jones DAF ,their depot ,at Knockin Heath i believe is still up for sale ,thank you Trevor

Did a weeks management course at MOTEC High Ercall, it is a bit remote. At the time my Dad was on the board of the Tyneside RTITB centre in Newcastle and they had to a six wheel Dodge tipper surplus so muggins got roped into taking it down to High Ercall on the Sunday, and then doing the course.

Tyneside

Tyneside

DEANB:

ParkRoyal2100:
“DEANB”

Here’s a bit about Abels. :wink:

Hiya Dean

If you haven’t already done so, would you mind posting those Abels scans on the removals thread? Thanks champ.

BTW their DAFs I remember well, always very well turned out.

Posted it on the removal thread ages ago,back on page 34 chap. :laughing: :wink:

D’oh! :blush:

Is this the bit where I step outside and repeatedly stab my leg with a fork?

tyneside:
“DEANB”

I wonder if they got any better making that particular body. Like i say there grain tipping trailers were fine. :wink:

Do you know what happened to them Pete,as i am not sure if they went pop or were bought out as they are finished now ■■

Hi these photos were taken on the eve of our closing down auction, the eight legger on the RHS of the top photo (next to the derv tank) was E reg with a ■■■■■■■ engine so must have been new in about 1986. The body was built by two lads who used to work for Wilcox but I cannot for the life of me remember what name they traded under or even where they were based.
Not sure if they had left Wilcox to start on their own or if the company had closed down by then. IIRC the Eminox stack behind the cab caused them a few design headaches.

Tyneside

Thanks for the photo “tyneside” :wink:

I am sure i have an article somewhere about Wilcox somewhere,but i cant remember why they finished. :unamused:

windrush:
T Jervis are Telford based, we used to run with them occasionally.

Pete.

:wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”

Thanks for the comments Trevor. :wink:

tyneside:
“tastrucker”

Did a weeks management course at MOTEC High Ercall, it is a bit remote. At the time my Dad was on the board of the Tyneside RTITB centre in Newcastle and they had to a six wheel Dodge tipper surplus so muggins got roped into taking it down to High Ercall on the Sunday, and then doing the course.

Tyneside

Tyneside

:laughing: :laughing: Good old dad. :laughing: :wink:

I reckon you tipper boys may find this article of intrest from 1973. Pete it mentions the Norde rubber suspension
which you mentioned the other day. I saw something about that recently but dont think i scanned it.
However the second article mentions another rubber suspension they fitted on there dump trucks. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

tippers v 73 ppg.jpg

ParkRoyal2100:
“DEANB”

Hiya Dean

If you haven’t already done so, would you mind posting those Abels scans on the removals thread? Thanks champ.

BTW their DAFs I remember well, always very well turned out.

Posted it on the removal thread ages ago,back on page 34 chap. :laughing: :wink:
D’oh! :blush:

Is this the bit where I step outside and repeatedly stab my leg with a fork?

:laughing: :laughing: keep up chap ! :wink:

Moorhouse DAF from Huddersfield.

Matlock’s tidy Volvo.

Anyone recognise the MAN livestock truck.

Couple of Volvo’s parked up.

Cawley Bros MAN.

Anyone know where the Hurst Renault is from ■■

Brian Prescott from Manchester.

Cant make out where the Morris DAF is from ■■

S.G.S. Monk Bros Scania livestock truck. Anyone know where its from ■■

Fagan & Whalley Scania. There trucks always look tidy.

Iveco must have just taken over Maggie Deutz as both names appear on this K.D.Thermoplastics motor.
Anyone know where they are from ?

Cant make out the name on the Roadtrain,someone may recognise the reg number ■■

Stretch Transport Volvo F7.

Not had a Frigoscandia on for a long time.Where was there main depot ?

Dont think we have had a Weaver Plant motor on before from Bristol. Seen here in Poole.

Rugby Cement Foden.

Another Weaver,this time its John Weaver from Poole. Used to do machinery removals as per the load.
If anyone used to deliver to Millers in Poole years ago there yard was on the RHS just as you went over
the railway bridge.

Anyone make the name out on the Seddon Atkinson. Says ■■? Glass.

ARC Leyland concrete mixer.

Never knew Bees Transport were Welsh.

The Norde rubber suspension was quite popular in the eighties amongst tipper operators and a I think was a factory fit option on Seddon Atkinson 6 & 8 wheelers.
One of the Lancashire Leyland dealers would also retro fit onto existing vehicles.
Personally I was not too keen on them.

Tyneside

Hi Dean, Frigoscandia operated from a huge coldstore at Kirkby, near Liverpool.
Whether they had coldstores elsewhere, I do not know. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Frigoscandia.JPG

Never knew Bees Transport were Welsh
Used to see them around Coventry a lot and I thought they were from Nuneaton or Hinckley.
Oily

Ray Smyth:

they had a depot next to stratford l.i.f.t…

Bees Transport was a Hinkley firm founded by E E Bee in 1919, the history can be read here, hinckleypastpresent.org/beestransport.html, no mention of a Welch connection though. I used to see their motors regularly when I was stationed at Bramcote Camp, Nuneaton in the 70’s. Franky.

beestransport01.jpg

beestransport02.jpg

m.a.n rules:

Ray Smyth:

They had one at King’s Lynn and South Kirkby as well.

Hi Dean.
E T Morris were from New York,near Lincoln.

DEANB:

240 Gardner:
That was at Beamish in November 1995, doing a photo shoot for Edbro - my borrowed clogs were two sizes too small and it was below freezing all day, so I struggled no end to get the rascal to start. Oh, and I got pulled by the Ministry Man at Scotch Corner on the way up, which was a jolly jape in itself.

Cracking pic Chris, what sort of speed would that do out of intrest ? :smiley:

It doesn’t have a speedo (or any other gauge, come to that!), but I think it’s good for about 23-24 mph, but happier at about 18-20. I did 5 Trans Pennine Runs with it, and I also drove it from Chiswick to Basingstoke, and then on to Winchester for the Thornycroft Centenary in 1996, plus various other road runs over about 8 years. It also went on road runs in Sweden twice, but sadly without me. It has its original Bromilow & Edwards tipping gear in full working order, and was reckoned by Edbro to be the oldest functioning example in the world of their hydraulic tipping gear.

97 years old, and only two owners from new!! I even met a chap who drove it for the original owners, and actually learned to drive in it in 1946. He rode with me on a run from Blackburn to Keighley in it, c.1994. It has never had electric lighting fitted, and he remembered it being converted to pneumatic tyres at some point. W. H. Bowker bought it around 1960.

That small paragraph on Tilcon operating an eight wheeler with Norde suspension was presumably referring to the one at our quarry Dean? SRB 632M driven by the late John ‘Cotty’ Watson from Brassington. As I said before the A frame bolts were always coming loose and needed tightening daily. The later Rydewell, and then Fodens own rubber set ups, were much better, although none were that good on site work as they didn’t allow the bogie articulation that springs had and often got stuck. The downside of the Rydewell one was that the spring brake chambers on the Foden rear axle protruded and fouled the rollers on paving machines, the Foden ones had the spring brakes on the first three axles and the rear one was just a single chamber so not a problem.

Pete.

tyneside:
The Norde rubber suspension was quite popular in the eighties amongst tipper operators and a I think was a factory fit option on Seddon Atkinson 6 & 8 wheelers.
One of the Lancashire Leyland dealers would also retro fit onto existing vehicles.
Personally I was not too keen on them.

Tyneside

Thanks for your comments “tyneside”. :wink:

Ray Smyth:

Thanks Ray,use to see alot of those about. :wink:

oiltreader:
Never knew Bees Transport were Welsh
Used to see them around Coventry a lot and I thought they were from Nuneaton or Hinckley.
Oily

I have always thought they were an english company Oily but it had a Welsh dragon on the front ? :unamused: :wink:

m.a.n rules:
"Ray Smyth"Hi Dean, Frigoscandia operated from a huge coldstore at Kirkby, near Liverpool.

Cheers chap. :wink:

Chris Webb:
“m.a.n rules” “Ray Smyth”

They had one at King’s Lynn and South Kirkby as well.

Cheers Chris. :wink:

Frankydobo:
Bees Transport was a Hinkley firm founded by E E Bee in 1919, the history can be read here, hinckleypastpresent.org/beestransport.html, no mention of a Welch connection though. I used to see their motors regularly when I was stationed at Bramcote Camp, Nuneaton in the 70’s. Franky.

Thanks for confirming where they were from Franky. Must have been a Welsh driver on that one i reckon. :smiley: :wink:

That bottom pic is a cracker. :wink:

Chris Webb:
“m.a.n rules” “Ray Smyth”

Cheers Chris. :wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.
E T Morris were from New York,near Lincoln.

Thanks Chris,tidy motor. :smiley:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

That was at Beamish in November 1995, doing a photo shoot for Edbro - my borrowed clogs were two sizes too small and it was below freezing all day, so I struggled no end to get the rascal to start. Oh, and I got pulled by the Ministry Man at Scotch Corner on the way up, which was a jolly jape in itself.

Cracking pic Chris, what sort of speed would that do out of intrest ? :smiley:

It doesn’t have a speedo (or any other gauge, come to that!), but I think it’s good for about 23-24 mph, but happier at about 18-20. I did 5 Trans Pennine Runs with it, and I also drove it from Chiswick to Basingstoke, and then on to Winchester for the Thornycroft Centenary in 1996, plus various other road runs over about 8 years. It also went on road runs in Sweden twice, but sadly without me. It has its original Bromilow & Edwards tipping gear in full working order, and was reckoned by Edbro to be the oldest functioning example in the world of their hydraulic tipping gear.

97 years old, and only two owners from new!! I even met a chap who drove it for the original owners, and actually learned to drive in it in 1946. He rode with me on a run from Blackburn to Keighley in it, c.1994. It has never had electric lighting fitted, and he remembered it being converted to pneumatic tyres at some point. W. H. Bowker bought it around 1960.

Nice pics Chris,you are braver than me 18-20mph sounds a bit painful chap… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Two owners from new ! :smiley:

windrush:
That small paragraph on Tilcon operating an eight wheeler with Norde suspension was presumably referring to the one at our quarry Dean? SRB 632M driven by the late John ‘Cotty’ Watson from Brassington. As I said before the A frame bolts were always coming loose and needed tightening daily. The later Rydewell, and then Fodens own rubber set ups, were much better, although none were that good on site work as they didn’t allow the bogie articulation that springs had and often got stuck. The downside of the Rydewell one was that the spring brake chambers on the Foden rear axle protruded and fouled the rollers on paving machines, the Foden ones had the spring brakes on the first three axles and the rear one was just a single chamber so not a problem.

Pete.

Morning Pete

I dont know if it was referring to SRB as no photos just what i posted. Sounds like Rydewell got it all wrong with there
design as they must have realised that they would have been used on tarmac work. :unamused:

Talking about Tilcon,did you know this fella ?

DEANB:
Morning Pete
I dont know if it was referring to SRB as no photos just what i posted. Sounds like Rydewell got it all wrong with there
design as they must have realised that they would have been used on tarmac work. :unamused:
Talking about Tilcon,did you know this fella ?

No Dean, I didn’t know him (or any other drivers from outside of our area) and judging by the later reg number for an S39 Foden, and where he was based, I would think that he drove a mixer and not a tipper?

The Rydewell suspension was fine, it was just that the ‘elephant’s feet’ rubber springs were mounted at right angles to the chassis frame so protruded either side. The Norde and Foden systems were parallel to the chassis so there was more space available between the frames. Also the Foden Haulmaster range originally had single chamber brake units on the front axle and spring brake chambers on the other three so Fodens had to reverse the fourth axle chambers from the front of the axle to the rear as they would foul the Rydewell suspension, later they fitted spring brakes to the front axle and just single chambers to the rear one which solved the problem although they still retained the reversed brakes even on the Paccar range which at least made maintaining them easier.

Pete.

DEANB:

MANTRONIC:

DEANB:

Hey ,Dean ,Brian Chilton,has got a Ailsa Edition 540 ! ,see him using the A470 Brecon road up to mid Wales regularly ,usually loggers . MT

Morning “MT”, thanks for the comments chap. :wink: Paul just sent me this pic which we assume is the motor
you are talking about ? :unamused: Hey Dean ,yes it is ,and i have since discovered they have 2 ,thanx for those older pics did not know that they were first based up in Abertillery ,not sure how many they have all together ,but almost a daily sight passing Brecon ,thanx guys ,always great info from you both ,MT

The above is very smart but i did like the original colour scheme better. :smiley: Any idea how many trucks they are
running these days “MT” ?

steelboyf10:
Hi Dean, loved the 401 run, Cromarty Carpets were from Lancashire, had a depot next to TNT at Ramsbottom from memory :smiley:

Thanks for the info and comments “steelboyf10” :wink:

Punchy Dan:
Wilcox bodies are or were IMO undoubtedly the best all round for strength and durability.

They were nice bodies like you say Dan and my grandad had a couple and i dont remember him having any issues with them
on grain etc. :wink:

smallcoal:
Hi dean two pics when I was on tipper work 1st pic just tipped coke in a foundry in Birmingham

Thanks for the pics John. :smiley: I see your transport manager has been given the sack,happy days from what you have been
saying. :laughing: :wink:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” We have had some cracking tippers on here chaps.

Some artics.

A superb selection Dean, and I thought I recognised this reg (although not the livery):

I have photos of it later in life with John Gornall of Spennymoor. I have a feeling that its running gear lives on in his restored Defender, but perhaps one of the north eastern boys would know for sure.

Thanks for the comments Chris,where are the pics then chap… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

Another fine selection of motors, Dean (and Paul!). I don’t know anything about tippers, but these are cracking photos.

This is the only tipper I’ve ever driven! I’ve actually done quite a few miles in it

Cracking pic Chris,what sort of speed would that do out of intrest ? :smiley:

windrush:
Cravens Tasktip were brilliant bodies, the ones we had at Tilcon lasted well with just the usual cracking of the alloy sub chassis at the rear which most bodies had on asphalt and hot material, we cured that by making flitch plates and bolting them on. My last new eightwheeler had a Wilcox body, the less said about that the better though. :unamused:

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete,sounds like the Wilcox insulated body was not so good then. I can only comment on there
normal grain tipping bodies and they were fine. :wink:

Out of intrest what was the problem ?

kmills:
This was Bob Slaney - BJD stood for Bob, Jean & Debbie as far as I know.
He was from somewhere around Derby, and also pulled for Brit European / Carmans from Scholar Green, which is how I knew of him.

Cheers all,

Keith

Thanks for the name Keith. :wink: Did you drive for Brit European / Carmans out of intrest ?

Posted a long distance diary about them on page 427. :wink: