PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Burnholme transport from Penrith. Looked a tidy outfit.

moomooland:

240 Gardner:
]I remember reading an article in Comical Motor about Bowie, and their programme of re-cabbing some of these old LVs with B Series cabs: because of the axle position, the cab was mounted well forward, and the engine reached to the back of the sleeper cab, giving the false impression that they had 8-pot engines in them

Funny you should mention that Chris.
Here’s before and after pictures of KMA 640L transformed from a LV to a B Series.

Perfect illustration, Paul, thank you!

Atkins at Poole docks.

2017-06-06 17.56.37.jpg

Atkins Cherbourg.

atkins11.jpg

Spillers.

Flour Milling 139.jpg

Click on advert twice to magnify for reading.

DEANB:
Atkins at Poole docks.

An Atki line-up that Tom Riding would approve of!

240 Gardner:

He sure would Chris :smiley:

Click on picture for wide screen view.

moomooland:

240 Gardner:

0Click on picture for wide screen view.

But of course, Tom parked them straight!!

DEANB:
Atkins at Poole docks.

Atkins Cherbourg.

bet this one’s in there somewhere, ONU489J.

moomooland:

DEANB:
I find looking at some of the old cars and vans etc intresting and brings back alot of memories from
the 1970s.

Her’e’s a few cars from the 1960’s to get your teeth into Dean. :smiley:

TruckNetUK.Old Time Lorries.PaulGee’s Photo Collection.Identifying The Motorcars And Commercial Vehicles.VALKYRIE.Tuesday,22nd August,2017.

Lefthand line going up: Ford Anglia or Popular;Morris Minor 1000;Ford Consul Mk1;Austin A40 Devon-based Van.

Next line going up: Ford Consul Mk 2;Nuffield Oxford Taxicab (I think);Morris J-Type Van;Austin A30 or A35 Van;possibly Morris-Commercial Van of
Royal Post Office;two lorries! :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: ;possibly Ford Prefect or Anglia or Popular;definately a Standard Flying 10 or 12

Next line going down from the top:Leyland Titan PD2 or 3 Double Decker Bus - Manchester Transport?;possibly Morris Oxford Farina or Austin Cambridge Farina;Fordson Thames 4D Lorry;Morris Minor or Minor 1000 Van;Rover P4;Morris Oxford;Hillman Minx Phase Model 1949-1956;Ford Squire;Austin 503 Van;Austin K8 Van;Ford Zodiac Mk2;Allard P1,Ford P1 V8.

Righthand line going down from the top:Austin or Morris LD Van;Hillman Husky II or III;unidentified;black possibly Standard Ten or Eight;
Austin Metropolitan;Jaguar S-Type;Ford Prefect;Ford Consul Mk2 or Zephyr Mk2 or Zodiac Mk2 on the side street;Austin A40 Devon;Vauxhall
Velox EIPV;Austin A35;Vauxhall Wyvern,QV photograph below:-

Identifing motor vehicles in the traffic  in the early 1960s.TruckNetUK.Old Time Lorries.Paul Gee's Photo Collection.Page 48.Moomooland photograph..jpg

VALKYRIE

DEANB:

Burnholme were mainly involved in hauling steel for BSC but they had a reputation for breaking down regularly which earned them not undeserved such nicknames as " Hard Shoulder haulage" and “Fawlty Towers” another “crack” over the CB during their time was “Which one of you has the tools” and the shot of that F86 is quite clearly taken when it is parked on the hard shoulder ! many of their F86’s were bought directly off my old long gone pal Harry Fearon ( H. & M E Fearon) and they were well worked by Harry as he ran quite an intensive double shift system running containers to and from Ectona Fibres in W. ■■■■■■■ to the Container ports such as Immingham. I recall having a disagreement with a retired Burnholme driver ( actually the father-in-law of one of my ex drivers) on an earlier post a while ago, he was defending the reputation that Burnholme had and I told him it was no way to operate and we couldn’t have got away with unreliable service such as that so it was nothing to be proud of and he didn’t like my comments one bit ! Cheers Bewick.

moomooland:

240 Gardner:

Brings a tear to the eye that shot, we’ll never see the like of that again ! Tom was surely a “Giant” among hauliers of his generation ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Ray Smyth:

moomooland:

Hi Paul, What a great picture, I am almost certain that it is Whitechapel in Liverpool,
looking toward the Mersey Tunnel, probably in the mid 60s.
The Taxi has a plate showing the “Liver Bird”. The Austin 30cwt van belongs to Dunlops,
who had factories at Aintree & Speke. The Austin A40 van is definitely Liverpool Corporation
Cleansing Dept. At the rear behind the Bobby on Point Duty is a Liverpool Corporation
Leyland PD2 Double Decker Bus, and if you were into music, Frank Hessy`s shop was the
place to go. Regards, Ray Smyth

Looks more like '59-'61 than '64-66.IE not even one type of vehicle expected at that point in time like even Cortina Mk 1,or A 60,among others like '60’s Triumphs and Vauxhalls etc. :bulb: :confused:

DEANB:
Always surprised these TM’s never sold more,they never seemed as popular as the other english motors of
the time. I always thought they looked very modern for the time.

The other thing about old photos is the stuff in the background of some shots. Remember the ford transits
looking like that ! Is that a Vauxhall viva ■■?

The TM was arguably unfairly stereotyped by the badge.In addition to Bedford shooting itself in the foot by living down to that already damaged image by offering that type of narrow day cab and even 500 engine spec with the small 71 series Detroit,or at least the silly little V6,also adding to that issue.It’s probably more a case of it still being good enough to be popular despite all that. :bulb:

The Vauxhall looks like it might be a Viva HC/Firenza ? .

As for the Mk1 Transit they seemed to look better to me with the extended diesel/V6 petrol type nose/grille.

hello dean many thanks to you paul and mark you made my day with the bowies erf kma 640l with jimmy Stockton at the wheel this motor was bought from Gordon plants auction along with sister 639 this was the first motor to have the 18 inch section welded at the front and a b series cab fitted that I picked up from cab services , bowies were one of the first in the area to operate tautliners first from cartwrights then boalloy cheers rob

Is this a Riding motor Paul ■■?

Seddon Atkinson.

ridingsed.jpg

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
The ERF belonged to Herbert C Styles based in Bewdley the mill has now been converted into apartments, I think the trailer is a bottom discharge,

Thanks Pete ! :wink:

ramone:

DEANB:
Some pics.

I find looking at some of the old cars and vans etc intresting and brings back alot of memories from
the 1970s.

ACL Seddon Atkinson.

Lancaster Bros cattle box F86 Volvo.

General foods F86

Dowty DAF 2800

C.F.Abraham Seddon

Bowies tidy ERF

Foden’s own low loader from Sandbach.

Ready mix concrete Albion.

Styles ERF .Is that trailer a blower ■■? Cant see a tipping ram unless its one of those strange ones
where the rams were underneath the body ■■

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 tanker.

The F86 tanker looks a bit like a Smith and Robinson motor , same colour anyway

Yes it looks similar ramone,but they always seem to be sign written ■■ :unamused:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:
1 0 Here’s another rare beast that Kaye Goodfellow of Manchester operated.
A bow front Atkinson maybe??. If it is 240 Gardner should have all the fine detail regarding type etc over to you Chris… :smiley:

Trying to catch up…

No, not a bow front: this is the all-steel cab supplied by Autolifts & Engineering Co. of Blackburn, and usually fitted to the Atkinson dumper range in the 1960s, in either full or half cab form, and also fitted to a few heavy haulage tractors, including one supplied to Graham Adams Limited in 1966, and which was used to carry Donald Campbell’s Bluebird boat to Coniston for its last, fateful record attempt… no back load that day.

I’ve a feeling that Autolifts was associated in some way with Warwick & Bailey, and who also supplied fabrications and other steelwork to Atkinson.

Anyway, this motor was supplied “new” to the infamous Jos Walsh Transport Services of Darwen, and billed as a special order Venturer, plated for 100T gross. In reality, it was a special build export order that had been cancelled, and which lay around the factory for some time before Walsh took it on. It had a 250 ■■■■■■■ and an Allison auto, and was plated for 75T as an artic and 100T as a ballasted tractor. There were publicity photos of it carrying concrete bridge sections during the M62 construction.

There is a photo, somewhere on TN I think, of a remarkably similar Atkinson chassis fitted with an F88 cab, and taken in Turkey, if I remember rightly - I often wondered if it was this motor.

Here’s another one Down Under:
Atkinson heavy tractor by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Cheers “240 Gardner” thanks for the info and picture ! :wink: :smiley:

moomooland:
1Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.
By 1986 the fleet had grown considerably operating around 100 vehicles which was when the fleet was at it’s peak.
They had contracts with the likes of International Paper at Winsford , Barrowclough’s Drinks at Bradford, Austin Caulfield to name but a few.
The company also had quite a large removals and storage business.
In 1988 the haulage side was sold to A1 Transport of Leeds followed by the removals side six months later to B & S of Loughborough Leicestershire.
Thanks to Robert Cheetham for supplying all the above information way back in June 2009 along with the old yard picture below. :smiley:

Thanks Paul for the info and thats a cracking yard shot ! :wink: :laughing:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:
1Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.
By 1986 the fleet had grown considerably operating around 100 vehicles which was when the fleet was at it’s peak.
They had contracts with the likes of International Paper at Winsford , Barrowclough’s Drinks at Bradford, Austin Caulfield to name but a few.
The company also had quite a large removals and storage business.
In 1988 the haulage side was sold to A1 Transport of Leeds followed by the removals side six months later to B & S of Loughborough Leicestershire.
Thanks to Robert Cheetham for supplying all the above information way back in June 2009 along with the old yard picture below. :smiley:

I remember reading an article in Comical Motor about Bowie, and their programme of re-cabbing some of these old LVs with B Series cabs: because of the axle position, the cab was mounted well forward, and the engine reached to the back of the sleeper cab, giving the false impression that they had 8-pot engines in them

Thanks “240 Gardner” for the input ! :wink: :wink:

moomooland:

DEANB:
the 1970s.

Rush hour chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

moomooland:

240 Gardner:
]I remember reading an article in Comical Motor about Bowie, and their programme of re-cabbing some of these old LVs with B Series cabs: because of the axle position, the cab was mounted well forward, and the engine reached to the back of the sleeper cab, giving the false impression that they had 8-pot engines in them

Here’s before and after pictures of KMA 640L transformed from a LV to a B Series.

Good pics again Paul ! :smiley:

Ray Smyth:

moomooland:

DEANB:
the 1970s.

Hi Paul, What a great picture, I am almost certain that it is Whitechapel in Liverpool,
looking toward the Mersey Tunnel, probably in the mid 60s.
The Taxi has a plate showing the “Liver Bird”. The Austin 30cwt van belongs to Dunlops,
who had factories at Aintree & Speke. The Austin A40 van is definitely Liverpool Corporation
Cleansing Dept. At the rear behind the Bobby on Point Duty is a Liverpool Corporation
Leyland PD2 Double Decker Bus, and if you were into music, Frank Hessy`s shop was the
place to go. Regards, Ray Smyth

Thanks for the comments Ray ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Used to see these coach/bus chassis going down the motorway all the time years ago !

The drivers always wrapped up with goggles on !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is it illegal now :question: I havent seen one for a long time :exclamation:

Not only coach chassis!!!
Atkinson Cabriolet! by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Bit nippy chap ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:

240 Gardner:

Perfect illustration, Paul, thank you!

:laughing: :laughing:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Atkins at Poole docks.

:smiley:

moomooland:

240 Gardner:

Nice pic Paul ! Now many did Tom normally run or did the fleet get larger every year ■■? :smiley:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:

240 Gardner:

But of course, Tom parked them straight!!

:smiley:

Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No AHG 820R Fleet No 90 ‘Silver Jubilee’ was driven from new by Bill Tyson.
Registered new on the 1st of June 1977 it was powered by a Gardner 240 eight cylinder engine and was painted in a special livery to commemorate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee which took place in 1977.

tonyj105:

DEANB:
Atkins at Poole docks.

Atkins Cherbourg.

bet this one’s in there somewhere, ONU489J.

Nice pic Tony ! :wink: :smiley:

Bewick:

DEANB:

Burnholme were mainly involved in hauling steel for BSC but they had a reputation for breaking down regularly which earned them not undeserved such nicknames as " Hard Shoulder haulage" and “Fawlty Towers” another “crack” over the CB during their time was “Which one of you has the tools” and the shot of that F86 is quite clearly taken when it is parked on the hard shoulder ! many of their F86’s were bought directly off my old long gone pal Harry Fearon ( H. & M E Fearon) and they were well worked by Harry as he ran quite an intensive double shift system running containers to and from Ectona Fibres in W. ■■■■■■■ to the Container ports such as Immingham. I recall having a disagreement with a retired Burnholme driver ( actually the father-in-law of one of my ex drivers) on an earlier post a while ago, he was defending the reputation that Burnholme had and I told him it was no way to operate and we couldn’t have got away with unreliable service such as that so it was nothing to be proud of and he didn’t like my comments one bit ! Cheers Bewick.

Your not trying to upset me Dennis are you ! :unamused: :wink:

Bewick:

moomooland:

240 Gardner:

Brings a tear to the eye that shot, we’ll never see the like of that again ! Tom was surely a “Giant” among hauliers of his generation ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

:unamused:

bob-lad:
hello dean many thanks to you paul and mark you made my day with the bowies erf kma 640l with jimmy Stockton at the wheel this motor was bought from Gordon plants auction along with sister 639 this was the first motor to have the 18 inch section welded at the front and a b series cab fitted that I picked up from cab services , bowies were one of the first in the area to operate tautliners first from cartwrights then boalloy cheers rob

Glad you like the pics Rob if you have any pop them on ! :wink: :smiley:

DEANB:
Is this a Riding motor Paul ■■?

Yes it sure is Dean here’s another shot of the accident.

Skipton Roll O.jpgW & J Riding Atkinson Borderer tractor unit Reg No TTB 90M hauling a tandem axle forty foot trailer carrying a full load of steel H section girders came to grief while negotiating the roundabout at the eastern end of the A59 Skipton by-pass.

Fortunately no one was hurt in the accident but it did cause some major traffic disruption during the recovery operations which took place later in the day.