PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Suedehead:
“DEANB”

Mark R , Sheertrucks Scania. This truck featured in an article posted on page 431 !

Is that loaded with Hondas ?
If so, they were probably rotten by the time they got to the showroom :stuck_out_tongue:

Did they have a bad name for rusting then chap ? :laughing:

Suedehead:
“DEANB”

TT Concrete Mercedes. Anyone know where they are based ■■

I think TT concrete are from Witney

Thanks for the info “Suedehead” :wink:

vwvanman0:
The Scania tanker with the odd angle trailer is British sugar.

Steve

Thanks Steve. :wink:

Mark R:
Yes, that’s a cracker… Hondas from Sheerness, I’d left by that time though, I think A reg was brand new when I was there. Any idea where the photo was taken?

Thought you might like that one Mark. :smiley: Pic was taken at West Howe on the dual carrigeway heading into Poole i would imagine,as there is a
Honda garage about 5 mins from where the pic was taken. :wink:

Where it says West Howe on the map is where the roundabout is. Mark was taking the pics from the service road on the LHS.

Click on map/pic once.

marky:
“240 Gardner”“DEANB”
Thanks for the reply Chris,i should have had a look through the archives chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

It was a one-time editor who came to do a feature on our Borderer, and asked how long it would take to tilt the cab so that he could photograph the engine… :unamused:

I wasn’t there that day, but I understand that the answer he was given was something like, “about three ******* weeks, mate”

Ahem… That would’ve been me & OMT. In unison. I tried pointing-out the big rubber bushes with bolts running through the middle on the chassis rails at the back of the cab, but I suspect the aforementioned editor was too busy looking at the ground waiting for it to open-up and swallow him. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

He did confess that he had a modicom of technical knowledge of buses, but struggled with even the rudimentaries of wagons. We left it there & waited for him to depart. The article ran for 4 months once he’d written it up. Not everything made sense.

Thanks for the input “marky” :wink:

Thanks to “marky”, “acd1202” and “5thwheel” for the comments about Barnes & Tipping. :wink:

Heres a clipping about them from 1992.

barnes tipping 92.PNG

finbarot:
“DEANB” “finbarot” Drinkwater Sabey Leyland Reiver.

Another one I’ve not seen before, brilliant, thank you.

:wink:

boardo96:
Evening all, I’m sure this is 1 of John Pointons from Leek,
used for animal byproducts collections

Thanks for the name chap. :wink:

Thanks “smallcoal” for the pic and comments about the Merc. :laughing:

boardo96:
I must admit I was a bit sceptical about some of this new high tech stuff, censor for this and that, more electronics to go wrong and then all the new exhaust emissions stuff I wasn’t to keen on it all, had pretty good service out of the older euro 2 and 3’s over the years but I must admit apart from an adblue fault that should of been done as a recall job before I got it, it’s now had a modification done and hasn’t given me any trouble, this ones been all right, quite impressed with it, snapped it up when I realised she’s got manual box in it, at least it can’t drive me yet unlike the auto’s.
One of the earlier ones, had a few similar to this, good work horses

Thanks for the comments and pics Nigel. Nice bit of kit with a manual box ! :smiley:

I agree about all trucks being so complicated these days,too many sensors etc. :wink:

colinwallace1:
This was a shocker from a standing start. It had the automated version of the 18 speed roadranger. Didn’t matter if it was 68ton or just the tractor unit, the highest gear you could select for pulling away was 2nd, which is crawler high split. Could have software changed but invalidated clutch warranty.
Few months later a new FH16 arrived and the world was good again. Colin.

Thanks for the input Colin and pics. :smiley: Is that New Zealand ■■ FH16 ! :wink:

Franglais:

smallcoal:
Them auto boxes our mercs start of in first or second gear sometimes as your pulling off it changes back to first ,I always flick switch to second hit power button then pull of when I get to 12 mph I put it on cruise control to 55 then let the box work it’s way up with out touching the accelerator,if I got 14 tonne on going up banks down to 29 mph and it keeps changing down bring back the old gear box and clutch I say

Dunno what the fuss is about?
Apart from changing gear in tight turns, rolling backwards, stalling, pulling away in too high a gear, pulling away in too low a gear, making the clutch smoke when manoeuvering, all auto boxes are perfect!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yeah i think you have just about summed them up chap. :wink: What about reversing onto bays ! :unamused:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■ The bulk tanker looks like its on a strange angle ■■

Turners (Soham) Ltd. contract Scania. IIRC it was one of a batch of Scania’s that were the first Scanias on the British Sugar Contract, and again IIRC they were snapped up by Turners as a cancelled order, (which by the way happened again last week, we bought some Scanias cancelled by another haulier). The trailer behind the Scania was one of a few that were built that way, nicknamed space rockets, and they were a pile of rubbish. They were built that way at the behest of British Sugar and they were on small twin wheels, that with giving a low chassis height resulted in limited brake cooling. Tyre problems and brake problems happened every week. The drivers hated those tanks.

Thanks for your comments about the trailer, i thought it was an odd looking thing. :wink: Are British Sugar and Tate & Lyle seperate companies
Graham or part of a larger company ? If they are seperate which ones is the largest ?

We have had alot of trucks from the massive P&O Group,Ferrymasters etc.

A01889.JPG

A01607.JPG

A01700.JPG

A02418.JPG

A02229.JPG

A02751.JPG

A00247.JPG

L0547p.JPG

P2180020p.JPG

Article from 1990.

Click on pages twice to read.

Another one.

Clippings.

Click on once/twice to read.

scania p&o road1.PNG

scania p&o road.PNG

clip scania containerlink p&o.PNG

P&O 87.PNG

p&o 1984a.PNG

p&o 19841.PNG

p&o 1984.PNG

Some Ferrymasters motors.

2017-06-29 17.22.44.jpg

A02745.JPG

A03395p.JPG

A03891p.JPG

A03210p.JPG

A03910p.JPG

L4239p.JPG

Click on pages twice to read.

ferrymasters trls.PNG

scania ferrymasters.PNG

P & O Brochure.

Click on pages twice.

Stafford Bye Products Volvo.

First Milk DAF.

Fresh Direct DAF.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■?

Owens Volvo.

Anyone know where the Fermac Scania is from ■■?

M.A.Evans Scania.

Not sure if we have had a Arla Foods motor on before,anyone know where they are based ■■

E.F.Wootton & Son Volvo bulker. Don think we have had one on before anyone know where they are from ■■

Dodds Transport Volvo.

The blue daf looks to be ex tyson h burridge from Dissington ■■■■■■■■ pulling a boughey distribution (Wardle) trailer.

Steve

Dean
Arla foods are probably the biggest supplier of milk in the UK the head office is in Leeds. They were originally Express Dairies but merged around 1980 with a Swedish / Danish cooperative. Will have depots all around the country and think they have a big dairyat in Aylesbury.

E F Wotton & Son were from Ravensden ,Bedford. Packed it all in about 7 or 8 years ago now. A friend of mine bought 1 one of their old units just like this 1 in the picture and I bought a trailer just the same.

Hi Dean ,not NZ. Melbourne.

colinwallace1:
Hi Dean ,not NZ. Melbourne.0

Hello Colin! Hope you’re keeping safe out there! R

Morning Dean.
Great photos of the Coastal Roadways tankers,they were based at Pyle and I would say they all worked out of BP Chemicals Baglan Bay,usually on Styrene and Vinyl Acetate. :slight_smile:

Morning Dean,
Stafford bye Products are based in Shrewsbury, they collect all the waste from butcher shops etc and it goes in to the manufacture of pet food. I’m sure they used to be based at Stanmore ind est Bridgnorth years ago, Cheer’s Pete

DSCF4262p.JPG

DEANB:
We have had alot of trucks from the massive P&O Group,Ferrymasters etc.

Hi Dean, Thank you again for your efforts of posting the pictures. On picture 6, there is a Remploy Ford D Series lorry and drawbar
trailer lurking in the background, and on picture 8, the P & O Scammell is coupled to a Nacanco trailer. Nacanco had a big factory
at Skelmersdale, beside the M58 Motorway, they produced cans for the food and drinks industry. Cheers, Ray.

In memory of my dear friend Tom Riding who sadly passed away a year ago today on the 6th of July 2019.

moomooland:
In memory of my dear friend Tom Riding who sadly passed away a year ago today on the 6th of July 2019.

Morning Paul,
A fitting tribute, I for one miss Tom’s detailed account of all the vehicles he ran, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Morning Paul,
A fitting tribute, I for one miss Tom’s detailed account of all the vehicles he ran, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for that Pete.
Fortunately i have inherited all of Tom’s fleet and service records and have been gradually adding all the details of the vehicles he ran on to the Riding’s website which now contains almost 2000 images, each one with detailed text.

I sometimes exhibit at shows with an ex Ridings employee and he has a few stories to tell, alas I wont be seeing him this year but hopefully will at Chipping in 2021.

Pete.