PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

One for Bubbs !

Western transport.

2017-07-03%2020_02_57.jpg

moomooland:
1Going back to that Foden S36 works motor a few pages back here’s an interesting picture with a Foden S34 on test in the centre of Sandbach with plenty of old cars getting in on the act…
0 None of the buildings in the picture survive today.
An Aldi stands on the corner of Middlewich Road were the van is parked while Poole & Alcock Solicitors modern building stands were UCLA Cleaners and the Newsagents once stood.

Cracking photo Paul, thats very clear ! :smiley:

Buzzer:
If you look at the load the Foden is carrying engines so probably on its way to the factory, Buzzer.

Your probably right “Buzzer” just wondered why it was Fodens and not Foden Ltd ! :unamused: :smiley:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
I think it is a Triumph Toledo and the 3 wheeler looks one of those “Invacars”, usually light blue.

Well done Pete i didnt think it was Reliant thats why i popped the ? but could not remember the name
“Invacars” ! :wink: :laughing:

moomooland:
0This and a few more of this batch of pictures were taken on Hightown in the center of Sandbach.
In the background is the market hall which you can see if you look at Google Street View today of course very little heavy traffic uses this road today thanks to the bypass.

Cheers Paul ! :wink:

oiltreader:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
I think it is a Triumph Toledo and the 3 wheeler looks one of those “Invacars”, usually light blue.

Hi Pete and Dean, not forgetting the MG Midget :slight_smile:
Oily

Indeed Oily ! :smiley:

gingerfold:

DEANB:
Some pics.

Scammell tanker,cant make the name out of company ■■ looks like a Jag behind ?

National Benzole, part of the Shell-Mex & B.P. fuels delivery consortium.

Thanks “gingerfold” for confirming the company ! :wink:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Some pics.

Very tidy looking Lynch Foden tanker. Rover lost the plot with that shed behind,no where near as reliable as the P6 it replaced.

G & B Transport Scania 111

BRS ERF

Albion tipper.

Foden,dont know if that is a demonstrator unit ?

ERF bulk tipper of H.J.Lea & Sons Ltd

E.J.Brick-Middlewich ERF

Scammell tanker,cant make the name out of company ■■ looks like a Jag behind ?

E.Dawson Foden from Middlewich. Is that a Marina shed behind ■■ Will put my hardhat on as paul Gee will give me a bollocking as he had one !

Lunts transport Foden. Is that an early Reliant behind or were they a different make ■■? Looks like the rear of a Triumph Dolomite in the distance ?

Dean, The Scammell Tanker is National Benzole. The car behind the Dawson Foden is a 1.8 Litre Morris Marina.
The Invacar was Government Issue to disabled people. If you happened to drive past any of the 123 Remploy
Factories from 1950s onwards, it was possible to see many Invacar vehicles in the staff car park, usually parked
not far from the staff entrance. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks for your comments Ray ! :smiley: :laughing:

Ray Smyth:
1Going back to that Foden S36 works motor a few pages back here’s an interesting picture with a Foden S34 on test in the centre of Sandbach with plenty of old cars getting in on the act…
0 None of the buildings in the picture survive today.
An Aldi stands on the corner of Middlewich Road were the van is parked while Poole & Alcock Solicitors modern building stands were UCLA Cleaners and the Newsagents once stood.

With regard to the picture of the roundabout in the middle of Sandbach, At busy traffic times,
the junction was controlled by a Policeman on “Point Duty”. One such “Policeman” was a local
chap called “Blaster Bates”. He was a “Special Constable” in his spare time. His main job was as
a demolition and explosive expert. Another of his jobs was as a standup comedian in working
mens clubs in the Northwest, where he was often heard to utter one or two naughty words.
If you approached the junction when he was on “Point Duty”, and you misread his signal for you
to stop, he was known to stop all the traffic, stroll across to the offender, and give him a right
good bollocking, tell him a gag, then send him on his way. He was as daft as a brush!!
The U.C.L.A. shop was United Co-operative Laundries Association, but when we were young kids,
we called it Uncle Charlies Lunatic Asylum.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

“Blaster Bates” cracking name Ray,e sounds a right character !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:
Hi Dean,

Oily
[/quote]
For a Truck Net Brucey Bonus for 10 can you name all the cars in the picture below. :smiley:

[/quote]
:unamused: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:
Hi Dean,
Oily

For a Truck Net Brucey Bonus for 10 can you name all the cars in the picture below. :smiley:

Looks to me like: P3 Rover 75 (nearly bought one in early '70s but needed another £20 so settled for a Morris Minor), Truimph Toledo, Mk 1 Ford Cortina (had one), Hillman Minx (drove one), Austin Cambridge van, Ford Zodiac, Ford Anglia (passed my test in one). Robert
[/quote]
Good effort Robert, you bought a morris minor ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

oiltreader:
Hi Dean,

Oily
[/quote]

Looks to me like: P3 Rover 75 (nearly bought one in early '70s but needed another £20 so settled for a Morris Minor), Truimph Toledo, Mk 1 Ford Cortina (had one), Hillman Minx (drove one), Austin Cambridge van, Ford Zodiac, Ford Anglia (passed my test in one). Robert
[/quote]
Nearly Robert, it’s a Triumph 2000, I moved a few in the mid '60s , the Toledo had single headamps, the Dolomite, posher and sportier had twin headlamps.
Cheers
Oily
[/quote]
i must admit i thought it was a Dolomite its amazing what you forget i had totally forgotten about
the Toledo !! :unamused: :laughing:

One for “moomooland” hope you like this one Paul ! :laughing: :laughing:

paulgeeriding.jpg

ramone:

lespullan:
Edwards Bell, Bradford, before Renwicks took over, we had a lot of these Atkis with 180’s in, happy days, Les.

I thought you`d disappeared Les how you keeping?

I’m ok mate the wife’s been keeping me busy working on the house again, I usually look on here most days, that’s a great photo of the Edwards Bell Atki that was Joe Cravens RIP at one time I remember him putting the Michelin men on it, they will have done thousands of miles on M E etc. Les.

oiltreader:

Nearly Robert, it’s a Triumph 2000, I moved a few in the mid '60s , the Toledo had single headamps, the Dolomite, posher and sportier had twin headlamps.
Cheers
Oily
[/quote]

Oh yes! I should have blown the picture up to make sure. Also, now I come to think of it the Toledo wouldn’t have been around when that pic was taken :unamused: ! Cheers, Robert

Hiya Dean,Wow!..what a great shot,dead chuffed to see that one…Thanks Bubbs, :wink:

2017-07-03%2020_02_57.jpg

W.E.Massey ERF

2017-06-11 14.05.19.jpg

R Hassett Mercedes.

2017-06-11 14.09.04.jpg

Thorn Lighting DAF

2017-06-11 14.11.13.jpg

Taylor’s MAN

2017-06-11 14.17.29.jpg

Sparrows crane.

2017-06-11 14.19.23.jpg

Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■ “The Roamer V” ■■

2017-06-11 14.21.37.jpg

Wisbeth roadways Buffalo.

2017-06-11 14.49.08.jpg

Direct ERF

2017-06-11 14.25.16.jpg

Richmond road garage F86

2017-06-11 14.52.04.jpg

K & L Haulage ERF

2017-06-11 15.43.09.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

oiltreader:

Cheers
Oily
[/quote]

Oh yes! I should have blown the picture up to make sure. Also, now I come to think of it the Toledo wouldn’t have been around when that pic was taken :unamused: ! Cheers, Robert

It’s a Mk 1 2000 to be precise like my father had which ran out at the end of the 1960’s replaced by the Mk 2 in '70.Ironically the Mk 1 2.5 PI was arguably the best of them all and very rare in the day let alone now only being made between '67 and '69 and was actually often valued more in the trade than the later Mk 2,certainly when I bought my '70 2.5 PI Mk 2 in the later 1970’s.It’s also great to see more photographic evidence of the contempt which people rightly placed on the fwd BMC offerings in the day with a great pic of the Mk 2 Zodiac.Which like the Triumph and Rover P6 and the later Mk 3 would fly off of a used car forecourt often with buyers out bidding each other to get the deal. :wink:

moomooland:
0Wrights Atkinson Borderer Reg No BFL 12K heading up Keele Bank hauling a Pandoro trailer. 240 Gardner will have more details i presume.

I’m trying to catch up!! Here’s another, with some background info on Wright’s:
UEE 301J Atkinson Borderer T3246XB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

DEANB:
“240Gardner” will think its his birthday today so many borderers about ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Happy birthday to me… thank you Dean!!!

What a cracking on the road shot brilliant! Thanks Dean & Mark :smiley:

paulgeeriding.jpgAtkinson Borderer 4X2 tractor unit Reg No HTD 470K Fleet No 27 ‘Competent’ was purchased new by Riding’s in September 1971 at a cost of £4,802. Powered by a Gardner 180 it was driven from new by Bill Coolican.

After being in service with Riding’s for just over nine years it was sold to Mr Joseph Bateson of Hoghton near Preston on the 27th November 1980 for £700.

The trailer is clearly a bulk feeder used for farm deliveries of animal feed-stuffs.
The sign writing on the cab sides has also been changed as has the headboard so Tom Riding is certain this photo was taken after the unit had been sold.

DEANB:
W.E.Massey ERF

R Hassett Mercedes.

Thorn Lighting DAF

Taylor’s MAN

Sparrows crane.

Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■ “The Roamer V” ■■

Wisbeth roadways Buffalo.

Direct ERF

Richmond road garage F86

K & L Haulage ERF

The Atki Borderer “Roamer V” has a Carlisle reg “HH” but I think judging by the colour and the roof colour it could well have been an ex Savage Transport from Penrith but the Carlisle reg is throwing me as Penrith based motors would normally have either “RM” or “AO” regs. But it sure looks like a Derrick Hill spec of motor 8LXB etc. Cheers Bewick.

ERF-NGC-European:

oiltreader:

Cheers
Oily
[/quote]

Must admit its easy to forget some of the car models ! :smiley:

bubbleman:
Hiya Dean,Wow!..what a great shot,dead chuffed to see that one…Thanks Bubbs, :wink:

Thought you would like that one chap ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:
0Wrights Atkinson Borderer Reg No BFL 12K heading up Keele Bank hauling a Pandoro trailer. 240 Gardner will have more details i presume.

I’m trying to catch up!! Here’s another, with some background info on Wright’s:
UEE 301J Atkinson Borderer T3246XB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Thanks for the info and pic “240 Garner” :wink: :smiley:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
“240Gardner” will think its his birthday today so many borderers about ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Happy birthday to me… thank you Dean!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

moomooland:
What a cracking on the road shot brilliant! Thanks Dean & Mark :smiley:

0Atkinson Borderer 4X2 tractor unit Reg No HTD 470K Fleet No 27 ‘Competent’ was purchased new by Riding’s in September 1971 at a cost of £4,802.