PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Merry Xmas Dean , thanks for another year of great pictures and brochures

Hollis had a Leyland Terrier with a Luton body which we serviced, it had water in the sump (the usual liner seal problem, though not so common on the 98 series engines with twin seals in the block instead of a single one like the older 5.1/5.7 engines) so I fitted new liners etc. A few days later it came back with water in the oil again! Thinking I had split a seal it was stripped again but nothing visual was found. So it was rebuilt again but the sump was left off and sure enough water was weeping slowly from a liner. Took it apart yet again and a torch and mirror showed a blowhole actually in the seal groove in the block casting. A new short engine cured it! In all my years working on BMC wet liner engines that was the only such case I came across.
Pete.
[/quote]
Morning Pete, Great storey.
Got to ask, who paid for this job, if I remember right they were not two very shy wall flowers forgiving of everyone’s sins.
I remember when we all got excited about the “new issues” with wet liners and the dreaded Electrolysis. Harvey

HRS:
Hollis had a Leyland Terrier with a Luton body which we serviced, it had water in the sump (the usual liner seal problem, though not so common on the 98 series engines with twin seals in the block instead of a single one like the older 5.1/5.7 engines) so I fitted new liners etc. A few days later it came back with water in the oil again! Thinking I had split a seal it was stripped again but nothing visual was found. So it was rebuilt again but the sump was left off and sure enough water was weeping slowly from a liner. Took it apart yet again and a torch and mirror showed a blowhole actually in the seal groove in the block casting. A new short engine cured it! In all my years working on BMC wet liner engines that was the only such case I came across.
Pete.

Morning Pete, Great storey.
Got to ask, who paid for this job, if I remember right they were not two very shy wall flowers forgiving of everyone’s sins.
I remember when we all got excited about the “new issues” with wet liners and the dreaded Electrolysis. Harvey
[/quote]
I have no idea about payment Harvey, I was only a fitter! :laughing: It may have been under warranty of course as I don’t think we did other work for the company, it was one of the early Terriers I think and had the four pot 4/98 engine which were generally quite reliable. They used different liners which you had to lap into the block with grinding paste to acheive the correct standproud above the block face so as long as you got them all fairly equal they didn’t give the problems of liner drop like the earlier BMC engines. I don’t think they kept the vehicle long anyway, they soon moved up to larger trucks. As our garage had just had the yard tarmacked over, and it was a lovely summer, I did the job outside in the sunshine! :wink:

Pete.

DEANB:
We have had some cracking pics of Marathon’s on here. Done a fair bit on them before but heres more.

Hey dean ,what a fab selection of Marathons ,my fav the Kelvedon,and the Morfa with stillages with car parts ffor the Midlands ,they had a driver based in Hay on Wye ,but he drove a Scammell,Merry Christmas you guys ,and thanx for this fantastic thread MT

DEANB:
M54 photos.

Lauds Transport ERF. Dont think we have had one of these on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Just noticed this but can’t see a reply yet.
Laud’s were from south fen Bourne, Lincs, long gone now.
Bernard

C.B.Chastney Volvo F88. “tyneside” will probably know about this company ■■

Buzzer, i think you know this fella ? Looks like the chap that did 2 x long distance diaries.Havent got time to look company
name up but i am sure you will know it. :wink:

First truck i ever went in was one of these Commers. Anyone recognise it ■■?

Burman Foden tanker.

Think it says JB Transport on the F7 ■■?

Dale Farm Roadtrain. Dont think we have had one on before ■■?

Crowthers Scania livestock draw-bar.

Kelly Freight Scania.

Rockwool Seddon Atkinson.

Anyone make the name out on the F86 possibly Carnation ■■?

Hi Dean,
I dont know who the commer belonged to in these colours here … but the original colour of that cab would been orange.
Its an X Avalon furniture van.

Merry Christmas to you Dean …and Paul …and thank you for the great posts across the site over the last year…looking forward to the next years worth.

Regards Mark

L3822p.JPG.jpg

DEANB:
C.B.Chastney Volvo F88. “tyneside” will probably know about this company ■■

Buzzer, i think you know this fella ? Looks like the chap that did 2 x long distance diaries.Havent got time to look company
name up but i am sure you will know it. :wink:

First truck i ever went in was one of these Commers. Anyone recognise it ■■?

Burman Foden tanker.

Think it says JB Transport on the F7 ■■?

Dale Farm Roadtrain. Dont think we have had one on before ■■?

Crowthers Scania livestock draw-bar.

Kelly Freight Scania.

Rockwool Seddon Atkinson.

Anyone make the name out on the F86 possibly Carnation ■■?

Hi Dean

Some on here will know Chastney’s better than me. They were based at Seaham but there was always two or three trailers parked at Sunderland abbatoir. Not sure whose meat they were taking where but there was two wholesalers based there:- Arnold Jewitt and Harry Dixon.

Hi dean ,I used to hate pulling them single axles raymonds had loads on rockwool tauts,boxes ,when ever we done colnbrook always a single step frame box hand balling rockwool bales of insulation :smiling_imp:

Merry Christmas one and all :smiley:

Dean
Lovely message from Paul but most of the credit for this thread goes to him, Mark and certainly you for all your hard work and commitment keeping it running…
Paul is correct, there is a fabulous wealth of knowledge out there but those memories are all triggered, and thankfully shared, purely as a result of him and others standing out in rain and shine catching the snaps, having the expense of developing the film and storing the photo’s (pre-digital era obviously), and also being generous enough to share them with us via you, Dean.
The time and effort you put into uploading and then responding to each and every comment is unbelievable and extraordinary, so all credit to you :slight_smile:

It is a fabulous thread.

Thank you so much for all the great memories :smiley: :smiley:

Some on here will know Chastney’s better than me. They were based at Seaham but there was always two or three trailers parked at Sunderland abbatoir. Not sure whose meat they were taking where but there was two wholesalers based there:- Arnold Jewitt and Harry Dixon.

I used to see two of Chastneys every night southbound A1 when I was on trunk late 60s and early 80s.

Thanks for your hard work Dean and thanks to Mark and Paul for all the photos they have supplied for us to view and comment on. :sunglasses:

Season’s greetings to all on here.

Hi Dean the man you asked about with the Leyland Marathon was Ron Blackman who did traction for A.S.Rawlings on work to Italy with empty cows most of the time, a lifelong supporter of the Leyland mark even though at Rawlings he was surrounded by the Volvo mark but he never wavered, he was also heavily involved with round timber haulage and wood clearance IIRC. the company is still going today now run by a relative Kevin Rawlings the motors are all black now with silver writing and I posted a picture the other day but cant find it now if I do I will post for you, cheers Buzzer.

Found a later picture Dean, is this a T45 model ? and now the latest in todays colour scheme .

Chris Webb:

I used to see two of Chastneys every night southbound A1 when I was on trunk late 60s and early 80s.

Thanks for your hard work Dean and thanks to Mark and Paul for all the photos they have supplied for us to view and comment on. :sunglasses:

Season’s greetings to all on here.

I worked at chastneys from 85 to 92 when they finished, most of the work was from mattessons at Durham which they lost to salvesens. We worked out of most of the north east abattoirs as well as export out of FMC Perth and Dumfries . We also had the fresh bake work out of peterlee but that went to northern ice at Salford.

Morning chaps, Thanks for all the comments bit pushed for time today,so will come back to them later. :wink:

Trevor / Keith. Seem to remember these are from your part of the world. :wink:

J.P.Wood & Sons / Chuckie.

Posted an article about them back on page 348.

jp wood chuckie man.PNG

Click on page twice.

Before the Mercs there were Bedford’s. :smiley:

Then there were merc’s.

Some Welsh / border motors.

Mansel Davies Volvo.

Roberts Foden.

T&V Haulage Volvo.

O.J.Jones Volvo.

DSCF2318p.JPG

G.J.Price Scania.

Steve Whistance Foden tipper. Owner driver possibly ■■

A.E.Gough & Sons Foden.

Bryn Jones Scania.

S.Jones & Sons ERF bulker.

T.Alun Jones Scania.

Worldfleet Foden.

P8050513p.JPG

Sainsbury’s ERF.

P8060002p.JPG

Think it says Dove Valley on the MAN bulker.

P8070002p.JPG

Bowmans tidy ERF.

P8070021p.JPG

Eaton ERF tipper. I think thats the first tipper we have had of theres the rest have all been brick trucks ■■

P8070020p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania 113 ■■

P8070024p.JPG

Hardstaff Haulage Foden.

P8070061p.JPG

Wrights Transport Scania.

P8070116p.JPG

Cant remember if we have had one of Ennstones on before ■■

P8070147p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo FL10 ■■? With that trailer would he be on quarry or tarmac work ■■?

P8080071p.JPG

R.T.Page & Sons Volvo F88. Dont think we have had one on before anyone know anything about them ■■

Looks like on of Dow Freights MAN’s going the other way ?

Bergen Volvo F7.

D.B.Transport i think ■■ Volvo F7. Ring a bell with anyone ■■

Birbro Volvo F6. Not had one of these on before,anyone know anything ■■

Nickerson Fuels Seddon Akinson.

Not had one of these on before. Peerless ERF from Liverpool. Ring a bell Ray ■■?

Anyone know where the Fork Truck Rental’s Foden is from ■■?

Cant make the name out on the ERF,anyone recognise it ■■?

Can make the name out on the DAF,says potatoes on the front. Anyone recognie it ■■?

Think it says Javelin Transport ■■ on the Maggie.

DEANB:
R.T.Page & Sons Volvo F88. Dont think we have had one on before anyone know anything about them ■■

Looks like on of Dow Freights MAN’s going the other way ?

Bergen Volvo F7.

D.B.Transport i think ■■ Volvo F7. Ring a bell with anyone ■■

Birbro Volvo F6. Not had one of these on before,anyone know anything ■■

Nickerson Fuels Seddon Akinson.

Not had one of these on before. Peerless ERF from Liverpool. Ring a bell Ray ■■?

Anyone know where the Fork Truck Rental’s Foden is from ■■?

Cant make the name out on the ERF,anyone recognise it ■■?

Can make the name out on the DAF,says potatoes on the front. Anyone recognie it ■■?

Think it says Javelin Transport ■■ on the Maggie.

Hi Dean, I can see that some of us are working hard on Trucknet today… Do you think we will qualify for Double Time ■■ :slight_smile:

Peerless Refinery had a large factory on Dunnings Bridge Road at Aintree, not far from the start and finish location of the
M57 and M58 Motorways. Fork Truck Rentals were part of what was Lansing Bagnall Fork Trucks, later to be known as
Lansing Linde. They had depots throughout the UK, the ones that I am aware of were at Preston, Warrington, & Buckley,
near Mold in North Wales, Bristol. and Isleworth. For many years, Lansing Bagnall had a factory at Frog Lane in Wigan
under the name of REGENTRUCK, which refurbished and sold fork trucks that were considered worthy of a re-build.
We think the name meant Regenerated Fork Truck. John Wilkinson, my long time friend and fellow haulier was their
carrier for over 20 years. Happy Christmas, Ray.

With reference to my above post, this is an ERF of John Wilkinson, (James Wilkinson & Son).
coupled to an ex Regentruck (Lansing Bagnall) Trailer at Cricket Street depot in Wigan.
Recently. there was a picture of a Fork Truck Rentals DAF on a thread that I look at on a
regular basis, and for the life of me, I cant find it. Click on pictures for full image.

Cheers, Ray.

Wilkinson ERF.jpg

Wilkinson Regentruck.jpg