PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

I thought that the Mandator tractor unit had a five ton front axle at one time. Many makes of unit at the time were only plated for 15tons. Also wasn’t there something about narrow and wide track front axles? AEC certainly produced more than one beam shape and stub axle set up, the same as some vehicles had Girling brakes, some Lockheed and there was definitely an AEC C spring brake which found its way onto certain Leyland models.

No pictures I’m afraid, but Alan Firmin had two Mammoth Minor units UKM 285 H and the other one was either OKN 946 or 947G driven I think by Norman Dadson. 285 was destroyed in an accident on the M6 in which the driver, Stuart was sadly killed sometime around 1978/9.

John West:
Thanks for that. I think that’s the earliest Athersmith’s I’ve ever seen. I have a great picture of an Athersmith’s 8 wheeler and drag on shap, the M6, about 1970. The cover of a book I bought. I can’t reproduce it here for copyright reasons, but as a ‘Barra lad’ I do love seeing Athersmith & Brady.

John.

Ere ya go me Marra from Barra. :wink:

cav551:
I thought that the Mandator tractor unit had a five ton front axle at one time. Many makes of unit at the time were only plated for 15tons. Also wasn’t there something about narrow and wide track front axles? AEC certainly produced more than one beam shape and stub axle set up, the same as some vehicles had Girling brakes, some Lockheed and there was definitely an AEC C spring brake which found its way onto certain Leyland models.

No pictures I’m afraid, but Alan Firmin had two Mammoth Minor units UKM 285 H and the other one was either OKN 946 or 947G driven I think by Norman Dadson. 285 was destroyed in an accident on the M6 in which the driver, Stuart was sadly killed sometime around 1978/9.

You’re correct Roy, the early TG Mandator tractors were 15 tons GVW, with a 5 ton front axle (drawbar prime movers were 16 tons gvw, 6 tons front axle), then the 6 ton front axle became standard. The optional extra of power steering required a wider tracking front axle, and I always thought that version looked better.

Buzzer:
That Foden has the second skin roof on the cab so may have been goin to hot countries and Hampshire registration, PBC maybe, Buzzer.

Thanks for your input Buzzer ! :wink:

5thwheel:

Buzzer:
That Foden has the second skin roof on the cab so may have been goin to hot countries and Hampshire registration, PBC maybe, Buzzer.

Don’t know who owns it,but the drivers name is Pete!!!

David

Well done David ! Pete ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

windrush:

gingerfold:
Yes, Dennis is getting more and more like Carryfast by the day. :frowning: :frowning: :smiley: :smiley:

I metioned elsewhere that I thought Carryfast’s father had a bike and toured the North West on it back in the '40’s, glad that others have noticed the similarity as well. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Now, now Pete ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

coomsey:
John Dickson Simpson
'The 8.2 Leyland 500 is at last a winner ’ I wonder how much they paid him for that gem n how much he wished he’d kept his mouth shut?

Tanks for your comments Coomsey ! :wink:

bubbleman:
Hiya Dean,The Foden S40 belonged to Framptons of Shepton Mallet,a later pic attached (not my shot),Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice one Bubbs, never knew they operated that type of Foden,thanks for the pic ! :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:

Buzzer:
DEAN don’t have any pics of my converted Mamoth Minor, why did we not take pictures back then. But here is a picture me & my Mandator only one year old when I was working for a round timber haulier before I branched out on my own account with the MM, good motor but was not painted in the firms colours as preasure of work did not permit that and the motor was a ■■■■■■ back and came from a Birmingham OD, allegedly it was used to nick a load of copper tube but the fella got caught and his wife had to dispose of the truck, happened even back then, Buzzer

If that 'ansome young fella had had an axe by him I would have believed he could have felled those mighty butts single handed ! :wink: Dennis.

Cheers Dennis ! :wink:

5thwheel:

bubbleman:
Hiya Dean,The Foden S40 belonged to Framptons of Shepton Mallet,a later pic attached (not my shot),Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Notably without the roof heat shield in place!

David

I would imagine most companies would have removed them if operating just in the UK. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
One for DEANB! Robert

Cheers Robert, there can never be enought of those posted on here !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

ramone:

Bewick:

ramone:

I would have thought the drivetrain to be the same as the Mandator ,which proved reliable and quite nimble when it was first introduced , it was later it got dated and left behind

Thanks for your comments Ramone . :wink:

tribsa:
HI Rob
Yes George & Derek are Pauline & Colins sons unfortunately both no longer with us.
Cheers
Rich

Thanks for input Rich. :wink:

gingerfold:

21There were quite a few of the disastrous Mammoth Minors about back in the day.

The original AEC Mammoth Minor concept was for a light weight six-wheeler to get around the constraints imposed by tare weight controlled A Licensing. Athersmith’s example dates from 1937.

[/quote]
Cheers gingerfold, nice pic ! :smiley:

John West:

gingerfold:

The original AEC Mammoth Minor concept was for a light weight six-wheeler to get around the constraints imposed by tare weight controlled A Licensing. Athersmith’s example dates from 1937.

Thanks for that. I think that’s the earliest Athersmith’s I’ve ever seen. I have a great picture of an Athersmith’s 8 wheeler and drag on shap, the M6, about 1970. The cover of a book I bought. I can’t reproduce it here for copyright reasons, but as a ‘Barra lad’ I do love seeing Athersmith & Brady.

John.
[/quote]
Thanks for your comments John. :smiley:

cav551:

Thanks cav551 for your comments. Sorry to hear that the driver was killed.

Todays pics.

When ever i see a pic of Jackie Gleason,you cant help but smile ! Funny actor.

justice.PNG

Solent Transport & Shipping’s Mercedes.

CK0020.JPG

Glyn Philips, sounds Welsh ?

CK0022.JPG

Ford transcontinental.

CK0023.JPG

Thomas Wilson on trailer and Wilson Duke on truck ■■ Would imagine the same family ■■

CK0024.JPG

Geo Davies ERF

CK0025.JPG

Sibley Group 88

CK0026.JPG

Millers of Poole.

CK0027.JPG

Looks like D.S.Ltd and says Yorksire & Bournemouth ?

CK0032.JPG

Wessex Water Ford tanker.

CK0033.JPG

4x4 Ford D series
Probably a County ( County Commercial Cars , Fleet , Hampshire) conversion
They did the tandem Thames Traders & D series conversions for Ford , & did 4x4 D series conversions for utility companies.
Wonderful series of photos, thanks for posting.

Casual Observer:
4x4 Ford D series
Probably a County ( County Commercial Cars , Fleet , Hampshire) conversion
They did the tandem Thames Traders & D series conversions for Ford , & did 4x4 D series conversions for utility companies.
Wonderful series of photos, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the info “Casual Observer” glad you are enjoying the pics ! :wink:

Plain Scania.

CK0034.JPG

Ford D series John Elkins Trussed Rafters.

CK0036.JPG

CVA road freight F88

CL0032.JPG

Humber McVeigh transport ERF

CL0033.JPG

London Welsh Borderer.

CL0034.JPG

Not sure where this pic was taken but if poole that could be one of Phillips’s AEC’s.

CM0012 fb.JPG

Abbey Hill,DAF transporter.

CM0015.JPG

Derek Probert Foden.

CM0029.JPG

Looks like Fleet services, M3.

CN0025.JPG

CN0028.JPG

CN0025.JPG
CN0028.JPGI would say for certain that was the M6 Knutsford services looking South.

The picture would have been taken from the A5033 Northwich Road bridge which crosses the M6.

P.S. Any Riding pictures due Paul? :wink:

Google Street View.

Hi Dean,

Don’t think that Humber McVeigh unit is an ERF,more like a Mercedes,they had quite a few Merc’s running out of HQ at Grimsby.

David

Hi Dean,
I have to agree with David on the Humber McVeigh photo.it really doesn’t look like an ERF and is more likely, as Dave said, a Mercedes.If you zoom in on photo you can just make out what looks like a Merc badge on the grille.
On another note,thanks for all the great photo’s,they really do bring back some fond memories and are a real tonic when things aren’t going too well.

cheers.
Chris B

moomooland:
I would say for certain that was the M6 Knutsford services looking South.

The picture would have been taken from the A5033 Northwich Road bridge which crosses the M6.

P.S. Any Riding pictures due Paul? :wink:

Google Street View.

Yes you are probably right Paul i just guessed fleet services as it was the closest one ! :wink:

Riding pics will be coming chap,but we havent started the second batch of pics yet. Will start
them on Sunday chap ! :wink: :smiley:

5thwheel:
Hi Dean,

Don’t think that Humber McVeigh unit is an ERF,more like a Mercedes,they had quite a few Merc’s running out of HQ at Grimsby.

David

chrisb01:
Hi Dean,
I have to agree with David on the Humber McVeigh photo.it really doesn’t look like an ERF and is more likely, as Dave said, a Mercedes.If you zoom in on photo you can just make out what looks like a Merc badge on the grille.
On another note,thanks for all the great photo’s,they really do bring back some fond memories and are a real tonic when things aren’t going too well.

cheers.
Chris B

David
[/quote]
Now then David & Chris, do you honestly think i got that wrong :exclamation: I like to make sure you are all paying
attention sometimes :question: I dont want you chaps slacking ! :smiley:

A few period adverts.

Bewick:
That Atki of Humber McVeigh was IIRC a Silver Knight and was a sort of interim between the Mk1 and the longer WB Borderer being introduced. I’m sure Chris Gardener will put me right but I think the wheelbase was increased from 9 ft to 9ft 10" for the Borderer. Useless info I know ! Cheers Dennis.

9’6" for the Silver Knight Mk.1 and Mk.2, and 10’8" for the Borderer, with 9’6" as an option :sunglasses:

DEANB:

Bewick:
That Atki of Humber McVeigh was IIRC a Silver Knight and was a sort of interim between the Mk1 and the longer WB Borderer being introduced. I’m sure Chris Gardener will put me right but I think the wheelbase was increased from 9 ft to 9ft 10" for the Borderer. Useless info I know ! Cheers Dennis.

“240 Gardner” is missing in action ,wheres he gone ■■ I expect you are right Dennis,but the font of knowledge
on the Atkinsons will no doubt confirm !! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

I’m busy!! Not retired and sitting in my counting house, like a certain Westmorland man :wink:

DEANB:
Plain Borderer

Anorak moment… :unamused: can’t see the reg, but almost certainly a Mk.2. Silver Knight, with the short wheelbase and the little mirrors mounted on the doors

DEANB:
Alot of borderer’s around today.

Kwik save Borderer

And the problem is? :smiley:

Although, the Kwik Save motor isn’t one of them… It’s had the later mirror arms put on, but the plate gives it away as a Mk.2 Silver Knight

I don’t remember seeing a Kwik Save Atki, although I do remember them having Motor Panels-cabbed Seddons, with their plain black cabs

thelongdrag:
Another good old Derbyshire Haulier Dean but that’s a new one on me. Don’t remember any tippers at Findern,that does’nt mean there were none. But as I remember them mostly flats until they went International. I used to see them flying up and down the A6 through Cromford as a lad usually loaded with asphalt blocks from Matlock. A N.Jeffries Calender Picture of one of the 1950s Atkinsons. Mike.

The very same lorry, clinging precariously to its existence in a very well-known lorry graveyard:
Atkinson URB 822 by Shaun Ballisat, on Flickr

I have a photo of the Marsden Daf but new computa wont let me post it. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: - :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Bewick:

“240 Gardner” is missing in action ,wheres he gone ■■ I expect you are right Dennis,but the font of knowledge
on the Atkinsons will no doubt confirm !! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

I’m busy!! Not retired and sitting in my counting house, like a certain Westmorland man :wink:

I do play all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order, especially at the end of the evening hic!hic! Anon 1.

This is an amazing site I’ve seen some photos of my old firm it’s a credit to Paul and DEANB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk