PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
Corrals of Poole’s F86 heading back to base.

Borden 88 looking good !

Seddon,anyone recognise whos it is ■■

New Saviem chassis and van at Poole docks.

Borden chemicals of North Baddesley now long gone they had some nice motors the 88 is Hampshire registered AA would have been supplied by Princes

Compton’s scania

Chapin,french Mercedes parked at Poole,looks like he has popped in the Ferryman pub for a pint !

Dorchester transport heading into Poole docks.

Bulwark ERF

Hudsons transport not sure where they came from ? Name rings a bell ?

SJB transport from Poole.

Atkins were a big old haulier back in the 1970s/80s. They had an office in Poole docks and also
opened a office in Cherbourg in 1975. You used to see them everywhere back then and i am sure
alot of you will remember them,even drove for them. Heres a bit about them.

Click on page twice to magnify for reading,first paragraph.

Click on page twice to magnify for reading,starts the second paragraph.

I always thought of Atkins as just European hauliers but they obviously worked on domestic haulage as well.
I personally can not recall ever seeing an Atkins truck pulling a tipper until i saw Paul’s photo !

BN0017.JPG

ad cm 76  atkins.jpg

A00091.JPG

BM0007.JPG

A00516.JPG

AD16.JPG

robthedog:

DEANB:
Corrals of Poole’s F86 heading back to base.

Borden 88 looking good !

Borden chemicals of North Baddesley now long gone they had some nice motors the 88 is Hampshire registered AA would have been supplied by Princes

BN0015.JPG

Heres another one Rob ! :wink:

southampton5.jpg

Some period adverts. Might bring back some memories !

spanners:

DEANB:
Looks like these were taken at Poole docks.

Eastern Roadways,heavy haulier Foden.

Hans Franke, Volvo F88. Not sure but these looks like they may have been taken at Fleets Bridge,Poole ?
Not sure when the flyover was built.
Volvo F89 Hans Franke was driven by my father (Roger King) whilst carrying concrete beams from the railway in Poole.

“Spanners” Paul has sent me these 2 pics of the flyover being built in Poole when your dad was
delivering there,that may intrest you.

paulgeefleets.jpg

paulgeefleets1.jpg

mushroomman:

Bewick:
Sorry Steve I can’t recall that chap from Carlisle although we used to get regular visitors to the depot usually on Saturdays asking if they could take photos and , of course, I allowed them to ! No H & S issues in those far off days but now you couldn’t let them through the gate :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for the reply Dennis, so hopefully there are more Bewick photographs out there somewhere. :smiley:
Deano, could you ask Paul if he remembers the café on Golden Valley Way (A40) in the late sixties/early seventies.
I think it was called The Golden Valley Café. :confused:

Regards Steve.

Hello Steve, Paul has said he can not remember the cafe and asked if it was on the old road before
they built the dual carrigeway ■■?

Taken at Poole, Mammoth transport.

BM0034.JPG

Bernie Dignan, think he was an owner riving leaving Poole docks.

BN0026.JPG

Diment from Bournemouth,they were coal merchants and looks like Don Shears driving that,a
good old boy ! :smiley:

BN0027.JPG

Transport services Mercedes.

BN0028.JPG

Swanworth quarries,used to see there trucks around alot back in the 70’s,now gone !

BP0005.JPG

Dodge tipper,dont know who ■■

BP0006p.JPG

Mighty Antar.

BQ0004.JPG

BQ0005.JPG

BQ0006.JPG

BQ0007.JPG

vwvanman0:
The crusader looks like jacks from Blackburn Lancashire

Correct - they were a subsidiary of Gilbraith Tankers (not Gilbraith Transport) of Accrington

Hi Paul love the photos in this collection!! Was wondering if you had any pictures of a couple of Volvo F86’s that Indesit ran in Southampton from 1975? Registration were NAA 245 and 246P

Hi All
Borden still exist in the fact they took over L E Harris transport which is now Harris Transport in Eastleigh run by I think the grandsons George & Derek Harris
what it is to have a mind of useless information
Cheers
Rich

tribsa:
Hi All
Borden still exist in the fact they took over L E Harris transport which is now Harris Transport in Eastleigh run by I think the grandsons George & Derek Harris
Cheers
Rich

Let’s get this right then Rich your saying that Borden chemicals which used 35 Rownhams Rd as there entrance to the factory which was LE Harris tspt has now evolved along the way via Harline Colin Harris and Bordens is now Harris transport ?

Another good old Derbyshire Haulier Dean but that’s a new one on me. Don’t remember any tippers at Findern,that does’nt mean there were none. But as I remember them mostly flats until they went International. I used to see them flying up and down the A6 through Cromford as a lad usually loaded with asphalt blocks from Matlock. A N.Jeffries Calender Picture of one of the 1950s Atkinsons. Mike.

mushroomman:

Bewick:

malc step:
Hi,
Paul,Dean and now Mark thanks for posting the photos and
probably saveing them from a future life in a skip.
Cheers Malc.

If the skip was in Ingleton Malc they would defo be saved :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, a question for you. :slight_smile: Back in 1980 I was parked up in the docks in Dover underneath The White Cliffs when a lad with a camera came up to me and asked if he could take a couple of photos of my truck. I didn’t mind so I got out of the cab as I didn’t want to spoil his pictures and he told me that everybody called him Malcolm The Model Man and that he was from Carlisle. He said that he had loads of truck photos so I just wondered if he ever called into your place in Milnthorpe.

Regards Steve.

I need to talk to brother Andy on this. He knew Malcolm reasonably well and I think they regularly exchanged emails or letters. Malcolm had seen my website middleeasttruckingstories.co.uk and had said he wanted to do a model of Andy’s ‘Micon’ Scania, pulling an AES tilt, as per the attached pic. This was a few years ago, maybe 2010? After a few months Malcolm hadn’t contacted him, so Andy phoned, only to find out that Malcolm had died.

John.

thelongdrag:
Another good old Derbyshire Haulier Dean but that’s a new one on me. Don’t remember any tippers at Findern,that does’nt mean there were none. But as I remember them mostly flats until they went International. I used to see them flying up and down the A6 through Cromford as a lad usually loaded with asphalt blocks from Matlock. A N.Jeffries Calender Picture of one of the 1950s Atkinsons. Mike.

My compliments to A N J. The detail is spot on, Regards Larry.

A00369.JPG

Nice photo collection. Great to see one of Phil Drakards 240 F88s

Hiya John, I am sorry to hear that about Malcolm. :frowning: I only met him once and we spoke for about ten minutes or so, he seemed a decent kind of bloke and said that his hobby was taking photographs of trucks and making models of them.
When I joined Trucknet nearly ten years ago I asked if anybody knew him and I think that it was Andy a.k.a. JJ 72 who said that Malcolm was still around so I wonder what happened to his photo collection.
John, I remember seeing those A.E.S. Manchester trailers in the early eighties running down to Turkey so could you tell me a bit more about them. :smiley:

Regards Steve.

240 Gardner:

vwvanman0:
The crusader looks like jacks from Blackburn Lancashire

Correct - they were a subsidiary of Gilbraith Tankers (not Gilbraith Transport) of Accrington

Thanks for your comments “240 Gardner” :wink:

woolston:
Hi Paul love the photos in this collection!! Was wondering if you had any pictures of a couple of Volvo F86’s that Indesit ran in Southampton from 1975? Registration were NAA 245 and 246P

Will have a look “woolston” for Indesit’s Volvo F86’s. Paul is still going through his collection cataloging it,
so could take along time ! :unamused:

tribsa:
Hi All
Cheers
Rich

Thanks Rich for your input ! :smiley:

robthedog:

tribsa:
Hi All
Cheers
Rich

Let’s get this right then Rich your saying that Borden chemicals which used 35 Rownhams Rd as there entrance to the factory which was LE Harris tspt has now evolved along the way via Harline Colin Harris and Bordens is now Harris transport ?

Sounds complicated ! :unamused:

thelongdrag:

I was the same “thelongdrag” until i saw Pauls pic and did a bit of digging around and found the tipper
pic in an old magazine i had no idea they did tipper work. Only ever remember there tilts. I wasnt sure
if anyone was reading some of the stuff out the magazines ! Thanks for the pic ! :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

John West:

mushroomman:

Bewick:

malc step:
Hi,
Paul,Dean and now Mark thanks for posting the photos and
probably saveing them from a future life in a skip.
Cheers Malc.

If the skip was in Ingleton Malc they would defo be saved :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, a question for you. :slight_smile: Back in 1980 I was parked up in the docks in Dover underneath The White Cliffs when a lad with a camera came up to me and asked if he could take a couple of photos of my truck. I didn’t mind so I got out of the cab as I didn’t want to spoil his pictures and he told me that everybody called him Malcolm The Model Man and that he was from Carlisle. He said that he had loads of truck photos so I just wondered if he ever called into your place in Milnthorpe.

Regards Steve.

I need to talk to brother Andy on this. He knew Malcolm reasonably well and I think they regularly exchanged emails or letters. Malcolm had seen my website middleeasttruckingstories.co.uk and had said he wanted to do a model of Andy’s ‘Micon’ Scania, pulling an AES tilt, as per the attached pic. This was a few years ago, maybe 2010? After a few months Malcolm hadn’t contacted him, so Andy phoned, only to find out that Malcolm had died.

John.

Thanks for your input John !

Lawrence Dunbar:

thelongdrag:

My compliments to A N J. The detail is spot on, Regards Larry.

Cheers Larry ! :smiley:

Stupot:
Nice photo collection. Great to see one of Phil Drakards 240 F88s

Thanks “Stupot” Keep checking mate,there may be more ! :wink:

mushroomman:
Hiya John, I am sorry to hear that about Malcolm. :frowning: I only met him once and we spoke for about ten minutes or so, he seemed a decent kind of bloke and said that his hobby was taking photographs of trucks and making models of them.
When I joined Trucknet nearly ten years ago I asked if anybody knew him and I think that it was Andy a.k.a. JJ 72 who said that Malcolm was still around so I wonder what happened to his photo collection.
John, I remember seeing those A.E.S. Manchester trailers in the early eighties running down to Turkey so could you tell me a bit more about them. :smiley:

Regards Steve.

Thanks for your comments Steve ! :wink:

Dean just noticed the Atki of Smiths transport of Axford near Marlborough coming out of Poole docks, Roy Smith one of the brothers drove for us in the 90’s but they ran a MAN on traction for Solent Shipping & Transport out of Southampton and here is a picture of said vehicle as we both loaded out of Manitou forklifts in Ancenis in France in the late 70’s they used to tip in Chandlers Ford but now are at Ferndown in Dorset, cheers Buzzer.

A00518.JPG

DEANB:

mushroomman:
Deano, could you ask Paul if he remembers the café on Golden Valley Way (A40) in the late sixties/early seventies.
I think it was called The Golden Valley Café. :confused:

Regards Steve.

Hello Steve, Paul has said he can not remember the cafe and asked if it was on the old road before
they built the dual carrigeway ■■?

Hi Dean, I remember that it was on the left hand side heading towards Gloucester as you came from Cheltenham. The section of the M5 wasn’t built then as the M5 finished at Strensham in the late sixties. I called into that café a couple of times and as it had a few photos of old aircraft on the walls I am wondering now if it could of been called The Airport Café. :confused:

Regards Steve.

Todays pics.

Foleys Scania departing Poole docks.

BQ0008.JPG

French DAF

BQ0009.JPG

Jose Carrillo

BQ0010.JPG

Walker & Sons F86

CH0026.JPG

Dents F88

CH0027.JPG