PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Metro-Cammell and Weymann built significant numbers of bodies for the vast London Transport bus and Trolleybus fleets. The first of the post war AEC Regent III fleet to be delivered to LT had a Weymann body and the single deck AEC Regal IV fleet was Metro Cammell equipped.

Barr’s Irn Bru in Inverness.
Oily

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, The 6 Wheeler coach is Bedford VAL, The one that I drove had a Leyland engine.
I think the bodywork is by Martins Caetano of Portugal.

The Bradford Corporation double decker is a Leyland Atlantean, the bodywork looks like
Wm. Alexander of Falkirk. 95 % certain on both vehicles. Regards, Ray.

Ray,I would go for a Van Hool Vistadome body on the VAL,and could the decker possibly be a Daimler Fleetline Park Royal ? :wink: :smiley:

Sorry for diverting the thread again. :blush:

DEANB:
C.C.Pritchard tidy Seddon.

The Thorn Maggie was probably one of Cawthorn & Sinclair’s from Birtley Tyne & Wear.

Tyneside

Thorn Colour Tubes Maggie.

New DAF tipper.

Mitchell Cotts ERF

Thompson Transport’s newish Bedford.

Sir +:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, The 6 Wheeler coach is Bedford VAL, The one that I drove had a Leyland engine.

The Bradford Corporation double decker is a Leyland Atlantean, the bodywork looks like

Ray,I would go for a Van Hool Vistadome body on the VAL,and could the decker possibly be a Daimler Fleetline Park Royal ? :wink: :smiley:

Hi Sir + Yes , The Bedford VAL has bodywork by Van Hool, but I think I am correct with the Bradford Leyland. Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Sir +:

Ray Smyth:

Hi Sir + Yes , The Bedford VAL has bodywork by Van Hool, but I think I am correct with the Bradford Leyland. Regards, Ray.

Yes, I thought Van Hool too. And Van Hool is a very convenient link with the lorries again: my sturdy tilt trailer was built by them :wink: ! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:
IIRC, Standerwick’s ‘Gay Hostesses’ were preceded by the express double-decker coaches known as ‘White Ladies’ and operated on trunk routes by their sister company, Ribble. They ran East Lancs bodied Leyland PD2s (a preserved one pictured below) in the 1950s and I can remember the ones that passed to Premier Travel in Cambridgeshire in the '60s. Just a bit of useless information from my teen-hood! Robert

Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats

The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group have one of them, fully restored, together with an unrestored Hostess which needs £150,000 spending on it!

I promise to stick to lorries again after this :blush:

Don’t worry ‘240 Gardner’, the Leyland 0.600 engine is a sufficiently strong link between buses and lorries in this particular case :wink: ! Robert

Splendid :wink: And, in the case of the Standerwick flying machines, the 680.

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:
…Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats

The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group have one of them, fully restored, together with an unrestored Hostess which needs £150,000 spending on it!
I promise to stick to lorries again after this :blush:

No problem with the buses. They are, after all, versions of lorries. A mere 50 seats in a full-size double-decker suggests they were very luxurious, IE the seats would have been big fat armchairs.

They were rather luxurious by the standards of the day, yes. Have a look here: flic.kr/p/oi9stg

moomooland:
Barr Soft Drinks famous for Tizer and Iron Brew.
Another of Barr’s Seddon Atkinson 400 Series Reg No C619 KYS seen here in Dunstable in August 1986.Photograph courtesy of Kevin Lane.
Established by Robert Barr in Falkirk in 1875, the company today has an annual turnover of over £254m with a fleet of
around lorries, most of which today are Mercedes-Benz.
Today 18-tonne Mercedes Actros four wheeler’s, in Barr’s latest livery, are used for multi drop deliveries. A.G. Barr company history[/url]

Intresting to look at the company history Paul. Thanks for posting the pics. Thats some turn over ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Old Bedford.

Hi Dean, I have just seen your “Spot The Deliberate Mistake” feature regarding the “Old Bedford”,
It is an Austin…Do I get the prize ? Cheers, Ray.

Now then Ray ! :unamused: Must admit i am not that good on the old stuff,bit before my time chap !! :laughing: :laughing:
A bonus pic for you then Ray, whats the make of these two ■■? Dont get it wrong chap as we now know there are
a few other bus Anoraks on here !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Thanks Ray ,good stuff ! :wink:

cav551:
Metro-Cammell and Weymann built significant numbers of bodies for the vast London Transport bus and Trolleybus fleets. The first of the post war AEC Regent III fleet to be delivered to LT had a Weymann body and the single deck AEC Regal IV fleet was Metro Cammell equipped.

Thanks for your input “cav551” :smiley:

oiltreader:
Barr’s Irn Bru in Inverness.
Oily

Cheers Oily ! :wink:

Sir +:

Ray Smyth:

Ray,I would go for a Van Hool Vistadome body on the VAL,and could the decker possibly be a Daimler Fleetline Park Royal ? :wink: :smiley: Sorry for diverting the thread again. :blush:

Thanks for your comments “Sir” ! I know nothing about buses/coaches so who is right here ■■? :unamused:

tyneside:

DEANB:
C.C.Pritchard tidy Seddon.
The Thorn Maggie was probably one of Cawthorn & Sinclair’s from Birtley Tyne & Wear.

Thanks “tyneside” heres one of Cawthorn’s maggies in an advert. :wink:

Ray Smyth:

Sir +:
[quote=“Ray Smyth”

[/quote]
I never knew there was so much intrest in these buses/coaches ! :unamused:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ray Smyth:

Sir +:

Ray Smyth:

Yes, I thought Van Hool too. And Van Hool is a very convenient link with the lorries again: my sturdy tilt trailer was built by them :wink: ! Robert

Cheers Robert for your comments,so you are with Ray. :laughing: I did not know you knew about coaches,did you drive them
at some point ■■ :unamused: :laughing:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats
The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group have one of them, fully restored, together with an unrestored Hostess which needs £150,000 spending on it! I promise to stick to lorries again after this :blush:

Don’t worry ‘240 Gardner’, the Leyland 0.600 engine is a sufficiently strong link between buses and lorries in this particular case :wink: ! Robert

Splendid :wink: And, in the case of the Standerwick flying machines, the 680.
[/quote]
Thanks for your comments Chris ! :laughing:

Well all this bus/coach stuff could get intresting. I assume there were alot of different body builders ■■? :unamused:

240 Gardner:
They were rather luxurious by the standards of the day, yes. Have a look here: flic.kr/p/oi9stg

:laughing:

DEANB:
Grenham Volvo F10 low loader.

H.E.Dibble MAN

Army Crusader.

E.T.Morris & Sons Volvo F10
tidy et morris dean, still on the go but done away with the old colour scheme now

G.L.Saunders Foden.

artic monkey:

DEANB:
E.T.Morris & Sons Volvo F10
tidy et morris dean, still on the go but done away with the old colour scheme now

Thanks for the info and pic “artic monkey” :wink:

P.M.Rees & Sons smart F88

A02661.JPG

J.E.Clark & Co ERF bulker.

A02630.JPG

H.J.Ivins & Son DAF

A02645.JPG

B.E.Williams Bedford TL.

A02634.JPG

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■?

A02642.JPG

Associated Biscuits Seddon Atkinson.

A02650.JPG

Country Kitchen Foods Seddon Atkinson. Looks like a load of straw ?

A02655.JPG

Vacu Lug Marathon.

A02669.JPG

D.C.Jackson Atkinson bulker.

A02671.JPG

Memory Lane Cakes Leyland Buffalo.

A02666.JPG

Some period adverts.

Click on pages twice to view.

A couple of bus adverts !! :laughing: :laughing:

DEANB:
P.M.Rees & Sons smart F88

J.E.Clark & Co ERF bulker.

H.J.Ivins & Son DAF

B.E.Williams Bedford TL.

Associated Biscuits Seddon Atkinson.

Country Kitchen Foods Seddon Atkinson. Looks like a load of straw ?

Vacu Lug Marathon.

D.C.Jackson Atkinson bulker.

Memory Lane Cakes Leyland Buffalo.

The ERF with ‘Gorsley 216’ phone number on was owned and run by F.C Parry & Son of Gorsley and was usually driven by Derek Austin (Lofty)…

The Sedan Atki looks to be loaded with horse bedding/muck for mushroom growing . Dave

Me.Paul.101:

DEANB:

The ERF with ‘Gorsley 216’ phone number on was owned and run by F.C Parry & Son of Gorsley and was usually driven by Derek Austin (Lofty)…

Thanks for the name Paul ! :wink: I assume the driver was tall then ! :laughing:

rigsby:
The Sedan Atki looks to be loaded with horse bedding/muck for mushroom growing . Dave

Cheers Dave ! :wink:

New Fodens taken at Sandbach.

L0417p.JPG

L0418p.JPG

L0434p.JPG

L0466p.JPG

L0478p.JPG

Hi dean,p m Rees Barry have had 2 colour changes they now run in white and changed from erf to Volvo and ivecos cheers John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

smallcoal:
Hi dean,p m Rees Barry have had 2 colour changes they now run in white and changed from erf to Volvo and ivecos cheers John

Thanks for the pics John ! Personally i prefer the original colours. I would imagine the reason so many hauliers
run white units is the cost of spraying them ■■ :unamused: :wink: