Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

The F88 with chrome grille was ok the F12 gave problems but they were running Dafs before the F12 and then the Fodens with Gardners ZRR and the problematic CATs another owner driver who worked on the same contract as Baker Gee Bee pop bought a brand new E registered Foden double drive with a 450 CAT and that suffered engine trouble and also a local scrap dealer bought a similar Foden 450 or 500 CAT and that too gave problems . Maybe they should have stayed with Cummins or DAF

lost all enthusiasm” that about sums it up for me as well Buzzer but fair play to those who are posting photos, can’t offer any chit chat about the mechanics of wagons in my short time driving lorries (cartransporter) I was never bothered about what kind of gearbox or drive axle my steed had except Eaton Two Speed yes definitely. Could do the odd minor repair and change puncture wheels, started on Leyland Comets (one new) finished with a Commer Maxiload inbetween BMC FJ new (lots of breakdowns) other Commers 2 stroke and Perkins Bedford TK new, AEC Mercury had it a year from new they took that off me and gimme the unit(not the trailer they put a Mandator under that) in the pic which I first saw at Earls Court 1966.

A little humour, Buzzer

2 Likes

Brilliant, I bet she likes the salty nuts.

The CAT motor seems to be a weird contradiction in its reputation and service durability.Foden seemed to have thrown its lot in betting on the CAT option but seemingly with mixed results.I can remember the big advertising campaign and publicity about the big CAT 6x4 Foden definitely in the Supertruck league in the day and buying all the truck mags that it appeared in.
I guess the a 400 Cummins would probably have been a safer and more sensible option if it was available.The fanfare over the CAT Fodens in the day seemed to drown out that question.
But can understand any owner driver wanting to try it v an F12 etc.

Blimey Bewick if they made me a Mod I’d have to pre mod my own posts in case they upset anyone.

1 Like

A couple from last week

Ade

1 Like

448062654_402527126119830_8472343701304778740_n

1 Like

images (40)
images (39)

1 Like

That’s the poshest Leyland Super Mastiff I’ve ever seen! Forty years ago I was sent out in the bog standard version of that for a couple of weeks to train up drivers converting from Class 3 to Class 2. (blind leading the blind IIRC :rofl: When I went to reverse it onto the stand for the drivers I used the wrong lock because it wasn’t an artic :flushed: Mind you, I’ve done that in my car many a time, especially after a long TIR trip.) Happy days!

Yep, she’s tarted up pretty well, eh? Bet she wasn’t that posh in her working days. Flasher than a rat with a gold tooth.

I did something similar today, went to shift into a lower gear, in my car. It’s an automatic. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t let Asia Trans / Astran anywhere near this: they’ll only send it out on a little run to Afghanistan!

like they did this one!
BPC2-thumb-448x312-83844-427x297

:rofl:

1 Like

Ken Glendinning of that era still to the fore(on FB) extremely experienced in the cartransporter game.
Oily

Bib Adams photo Cape area of South Africa grill badge 4400RE I’m guessing that might be Rolls Royce Eagle. Interesting article here:- https://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/10th-november-1967/12/four-big-truck-makers-now-offer-rolls-royce-eagle-

1 Like

I could well be wrong, but didn’t some of those livestock trailers have tautliner curtains hidden away? And they did palletised goods on the way back to the UK from Euroland?
Next to no live exports today, I believe.

We only import livestock nowadays :wink:

Exotic hornets and bed-bugs spring to mind, along with a few larger creatures…

Mosquitoes which can carry dengue fever, and Zika virus are being recorded in Belgium and the Netherlands now.

All good fun this global warming, innit!

Tourism, more like; or terrorism (as the Venetians would have it!)

They did indeed have curtains, which would be stowed in the compartments on the bulkhead of the trailers when not in use. MFP , along with a lot of other livestock hauliers, got a lot of grief from the animal rights protesters when shipping out of Dover and Shoreham
448221333_10230819404646812_2817716769294278271_n

1 Like