Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

What do you want to talk about?

Sheā€™s looking for anyone who knew her Dad who died driving for Shell in an accident in 1973, SDU.

Itā€™s late now @Jen1 , Iā€™ll have a think what might be the best forum to choose tomorrow, there are quite a few of us oldies on here who might, but the membership is not what it was since recent changes.

Perhaps @chriswebb he was a tanker driver werenā€™t you Chris? Sort of thing he might have heard of.

1 Like

Thank you for your help

Jen2, start a new thread in this sub-forum. As a former fuel tanker driver, may I offer my condolences, somewhat belated.

1 Like

Thank you for your condolences,thatā€™s very thoughtful. I donā€™t know how to navigate this site very well as Iā€™m new here itā€™s ok Iā€™ll wait something might turn up ,cheers

Welcome to Trucknet Jen1 and donā€™t worry about not being able to navigate around the new site, you have just got to persevere. There were many members who had been on here for over ten years and still canā€™t get to grips with it.

For example, I noticed your post about an hour ago while I was offline but once I logged in to reply, I couldnā€™t find your post anywhere. Once I logged out, I was able to find your post again. After trying all the button and whistles I must have pressed something right.

Sorry to hear about your dad and as an ex tanker driver please except my deepest condolences.

I am sure that other tanker drivers will remember that sometime in the 70ā€™s/80ā€™s, Shell tankers had a picture of a little blond hair girl saying her prayers with the words " please drive carefully Daddy" on the back of their tanks.

Hopefully, somebody might be able to come up with a photo of it.
Good luck with your search.

B.T.W. is there any reason why that green circle, manage preferences icon covers something which says _ _ve Edit.

2 Likes

@Jen1 I have started a thread for you. I wish you success in your search.

Tis here:

1 Like

Thank you for your post ,I didnā€™t understand the btw bit at the end sorry :thinking:

BTW = By The Way.

@opal_finder was going off track and talking about the green circle on the bottom left of the screen.

That is there to easily manage preferences etc. The idea of having it permanently on view is to make things easier for less experienced www users to protect their privacy etc.
It tries to make the www safer.

1 Like

Ah ok thank you,it does get in the way a bit doesnā€™t it lol

Morning David.Yes,I was driving for A E Evans at the time,but I donā€™t recall a Shell tanker driver being killed in 1973, itā€™s a long time ago.Perhaps if I had his name and where the accident happened I could make enquiries and help Jen out.

1 Like

Consett Iron Co. pre British Steel

1 Like

Hello Chris ,itā€™s Mick Sturgess Jan 3rd 1973 ,I believe it took place in Enfield ,he probably worked out of Buncefield ,we lived in Garston Watford .

Hello Jen.
Iā€™ll ask around and get back to you.Give me a few days.

Chris.

1 Like

Thanks I appreciate it :blush:

I knew youā€™d be the man to ask @chriswebb, where will you put any results? Here or in SDUā€™s new one under Mickā€™s name? Whichever it is, make a note in the other. :wink:

Jen1 Maybe Unite Union might be able to help you from TGWU records Iā€™d guess that it was a highly unionised job.But if so data protection might stop them providing any names of fellow members.Bearing in mind probably few if any would have been under 25 at the time for insurance and many older than that ? so probably even the youngest would be in their late 70ā€™s now.

1 Like

Looks like a Chinese Jeifang Zil knock off ?.

ā€˜Surprisedā€™ the law didnā€™t explain the difference between overlength markers v over width markers.