Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

dave docwra:
NMP. Well loaded Albion.

Maybe well loaded Dave, but not a roping job that would have been done by me. All his hitches bar the front one must be on the other side, so either he is an Aussie with lots of seperate pieces (unlikely) or his returns haven’t been tensioned. His last crossover is hitched at the front and then he has attempted to tension all the others with the long tail. :open_mouth:

Perhaps he was hoping that the bags would settle tightly into each other. :wink: :unamused:

And to Patrick and the bent mixer, I wasn’t far wrong then was I, except I reckoned a drop from more than 2 metres without hitting anything else on the way. A very lucky bloke in my opinion. :slight_smile:

Roping must be an Albion thing – picture of mine when it was new.
Bernard

albion1938:
Roping must be an Albion thing – picture of mine when it was new.
Bernard

Blimey, you wouldn’t want to be in a little car just in front of him would you. :question: :open_mouth:

Am I not seeing things and the front 2 stacks over the cab are not roped down

atlas man:

And those at the rear seem to be unattached too!

atlas man:

Albion1938 was a steady driver back then :smiley:

dave docwra:

atlas man:

Still am! No, that’s 10 years before I was born, that photo was in the album that the supplier of the lorry (Gibbs of Bedfont) kept to show their products, and a framed copy hung on the wall of the garage the Albion lived in, and where the original owners kindly let me keep it for many years. Although that load is typical and the body was built for loading like that, I don’t really think it would have made it to Covent Garden from Iver even at the allowed maximum of 20 mph without a few more ropes! I found out in more recent years when I was talking to a guy who was the driver’s mate just after the war that the “driver” in the picture was in fact the farm mechanic, presumably when the photographer turned up the driver wasn’t about. So it may have usually been roped like that or maybe the mechanic did it for the photo and couldn’t tie a dolly? I’ll never know now, although I knew the family that owned it, and their long-serving staff, I don’t think anybody’s still alive to tell me, the Albion’s outlived them all and still fit. Attached a picture taken on it’s 80th birthday, 2018, dressed up in WW2 blackout markings for a '40s weekend. sadly looking like it won’t be out and about this season.
Bernard

albiondyke 80th.jpg

albion1938:

dave docwra:

atlas man:

Still am! No, that’s 10 years before I was born, that photo was in the album that the supplier of the lorry (Gibbs of Bedfont) kept to show their products, and a framed copy hung on the wall of the garage the Albion lived in, and where the original owners kindly let me keep it for many years. Although that load is typical and the body was built for loading like that, I don’t really think it would have made it to Covent Garden from Iver even at the allowed maximum of 20 mph without a few more ropes! I found out in more recent years when I was talking to a guy who was the driver’s mate just after the war that the “driver” in the picture was in fact the farm mechanic, presumably when the photographer turned up the driver wasn’t about. So it may have usually been roped like that or maybe the mechanic did it for the photo and couldn’t tie a dolly? I’ll never know now, although I knew the family that owned it, and their long-serving staff, I don’t think anybody’s still alive to tell me, the Albion’s outlived them all and still fit. Attached a picture taken on it’s 80th birthday, 2018, dressed up in WW2 blackout markings for a '40s weekend. sadly looking like it won’t be out and about this season.
Bernard

That’s a beautiful picture, Bernard, and your blushes are duly spared. :wink: :laughing:

I am impressed that the whole weight of the over cab platform appears to be taken by the cab frame alone. Built to last. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

albion1938:

dave docwra:

atlas man:

Bernard

That’s a beautiful picture, Bernard, and your blushes are duly spared. :wink: :laughing:

I am impressed that the whole weight of the over cab platform appears to be taken by the cab frame alone. Built to last. :slight_smile:

Yes, and it worked like that for its original owners for 27 years - The cab was built by the dealer, but the panel the rad’s mounted on is a heavy steel panel on a steel angle frame, came with the chassis from Albion, and most of the weight is taken on that. I did have to do some small repairs to the front corners of the ash cab frame when I got it in 1970, but only due to rot and somebody whacking the front wing with a forklift, so that cab and body is now mostly 82 years old. And in the mid '70s I had one of those platform support poles break off at the threaded end while miles from home. Wedged a scrounged wooden block between the platform and the cab roof and roped it down, carried on home no problem.
Bernard

albion1938:

Spardo:

Yes, and it worked like that for its original owners for 27 years - The cab was built by the dealer, but the panel the rad’s mounted on is a heavy steel panel on a steel angle frame, came with the chassis from Albion, and most of the weight is taken on that. I did have to do some small repairs to the front corners of the ash cab frame when I got it in 1970, but only due to rot and somebody whacking the front wing with a forklift, so that cab and body is now mostly 82 years old. And in the mid '70s I had one of those platform support poles break off at the threaded end while miles from home. Wedged a scrounged wooden block between the platform and the cab roof and roped it down, carried on home no problem.
Bernard

Bloody hell! What did you rope it to? No hooks available so did you pass the rope through both open windows? :open_mouth:
With a sudden stop you could have topped yourself. :unamused: Were you working it at the time or just had it as a show vehicle, hope there was no weight on the platform. I would love to own something like that, but would never have had the skill or patience to look after it properly. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

albion1938:

Spardo:

Bernard

Bloody hell! What did you rope it to? No hooks available so did you pass the rope through both open windows? :open_mouth:
With a sudden stop you could have topped yourself. :unamused: Were you working it at the time or just had it as a show vehicle, hope there was no weight on the platform. I would love to own something like that, but would never have had the skill or patience to look after it properly. :slight_smile:

No never worked it, in the early days thought about using it as a shunt motor on local work for a lark but never did, shows only. So as it was retired before plating and testing was introduced and it’s exempt as long as it’s only used empty, it’s never had an MOT. I was down in Sussex coming home to London from a steam rally when the pole broke. Roped round the pole bracket down to the dumb iron, on those old motors they stick out of the front so come in handy. It does have rope hooks on the platform you can see them in the photo.
Bernard

Was this AEC model for export only?

Greetings All.
Ref the Meals on Wheels van,it is a Ford van version of the 100E car.Could have been called Thames.
It had a side valve engine (with run metal bearings) with a c.c of 1172.
IIRC,it had a three speed box.Later models had a four speed box which went on to be fitted into the Ford 105E,
the car with the backward sloping rear window.Regards to All,keeo safe,900x20. :astonished:

pv83:
Was this AEC model for export only?

They were a special model, Super Mammoth, built in South Africa by J. H. Plane, AEC distributors. They had the AEC AVT1100 engine, a turbo-charged 18 litres unit that was also used in the big 18 cu yd AEC Dumptruk.

900X20:
Greetings All.
Ref the Meals on Wheels van,it is a Ford van version of the 100E car.Could have been called Thames.
It had a side valve engine (with run metal bearings) with a c.c of 1172.
IIRC,it had a three speed box.Later models had a four speed box which went on to be fitted into the Ford 105E,
the car with the backward sloping rear window.Regards to All,keeo safe,900x20. :astonished:

Thanks for the info Tyneside

AEC Mammoth in Australia 1962.

aec mammoth 62.PNG

Thanks to dave docwra, stevejones, Lawrence Dunbar, DEANB, tyneside, albion1938 and pv83 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Another OZ AEC no idea of the marque.
Oily

OZ Transport (1783)nkc.jpg

Ta for the Scottish Scene article Dean, only one still going McPherson Aberlour with a sizeable fleet, a few dashcam on the A9 on a single trip between Inverness and Perth.
Oily

This location is nowadays where the absolute end of the M62 is in Liverpool. The Ford Thames Trader is on Queens Drive
exactly where todays flyover is, from right to left. The Hillman Minx car with the Dublin number plate is waiting at the
end of Bowring Park Road, and then go across Queens Drive and on to Liverpool city centre. Picture by Bootle History Forum.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
This location is nowadays where the absolute end of the M62 is in Liverpool. The Ford Thames Trader is on Queens Drive
exactly where todays flyover is, from right to left. The Hillman Minx car with the Dublin number plate is waiting at the
end of Bowring Park Road, and then go across Queens Drive and on to Liverpool city centre. Picture by Bootle History Forum.

Ray Smyth.

Cheers for the pic Ray :smiley: Z reg on the Hillman brings back memories of the '50s and one or two local farmers going over to Eire or NI and buying their cars something to do with no purchase tax there at that time, not sure it was legit.
Oily

Thames Trader, Buzzer

92922153_10216598740942234_6503732439322460160_n.jpg