Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

From fellow flickrite Steve Glover, not a Foden coomsey but I reckon you’d put up with this for a shift or two :laughing:
Oily

Leyland Constructor Steve Glover cc by 2.0 45707761054_cc151ddd59_sgk.jpg

Oily & Larry, Yes I am pretty sure this is the ex Siddle Cook then Tom Carruthers of Carrutherstown Super Hippo, I have passed it dozens of times standing outside his garage at Carrutherstown.
Happy Christmas to you both,
Leyland 600

oiltreader:
From fellow flickrite Steve Glover, not a Foden coomsey but I reckon you’d put up with this for a shift or two :laughing:
Oily

If she was half as good as the Bison I had , I would Oily.

I came within a gnats doo dah of getting the one below, coming off a old lump of a Marathon, but went muskshifting instead

IMG_2073.JPG

Leyland600:
Oily & Larry, Yes I am pretty sure this is the ex Siddle Cook then Tom Carruthers of Carrutherstown Super Hippo, I have passed it dozens of times standing outside his garage at Carrutherstown.
Leyland 600

Yes definitely same one 2 photos of it on Fotki, Brian Edgar, in Carruthers name, went past today remembering the old girl standing there funny how things turn up, Les.

les-p:

Leyland600:
Leyland 600

Yes definitely same one 2 photos of it on Fotki, Brian Edgar, in Carruthers name, went past today remembering the old girl standing there funny how things turn up, Les.[/quote

The Siddle Cook connection probably explains the UP registration, which I think is probably Durham. We had 8267 UP on a LAD Dodge 4 wheeler on livestock, had a high ratio diff with Eaton two speed and would catch pigeons.
Tyneside

Couple off F/B Tyneside

Alpine.jpeg

tyneside:
The Siddle Cook connection probably explains the UP registration, which I think is probably Durham. We had 8267 UP on a LAD Dodge 4 wheeler on livestock, had a high ratio diff with Eaton two speed and would catch pigeons.
Tyneside

LAD Dodge, now you’re talking if you want speed. My Perkins 6.354 would shoot past almost everything at 75 down the M1 fully freighted with asphalt blocks from Matlock.

But for power, forget it. Halfway up a very steep hill off the main road in Stoney Middleton, as soon as I saw how steep it was I stopped and put it in crawler, but it was no good, just caught it on the foot brake on the point of stalling,
handbrake wouldn’t hold it and, with my knee trembling with naked fear, I desperately called to a local to chock the wheels. He did it by partially demolishing his dry stone wall. I was eventually dragged up by a giant front end loader from the quarry at the top. I asked what gear he wanted me to put it in and he breezily said ‘neutral, don’t touch anything except the wheel then sit back and enjoy the ride’. :laughing:

Just Googled it. The road is High Street with the Moon pub at the turn off and I see that now, very sensibly, there is a 3 tonne limit. :smiley:

Spardo, That sounds about right for an LAD Dodge and 6.354 Perkins, I had one that would go like the wind when running OK but that only lasted for a couple of days at the most then the (zb) thing broke a major part of its make up. Injector pipes, oil pressure pipe, dynamo bracket etc etc, I was glad to see the back of it when I sold it.
Happy Christmas Leyland 600.

8 November 1983
Northfield, Birmingham.
MB 1621, A208 YFS… My replacement for ‘Pyewacket’ OSF 947V.
As new, squeezing round the back of the Sovereign Shopping Centre en route to
Sainsburys goods entrance,

Oi, double yellows there. Ticket in post.

Spardo:

tyneside:
Tyneside

LAD Dodge, now you’re talking if you want speed. My Perkins 6.354 would shoot past almost everything at 75 down the M1 fully freighted with asphalt blocks from Matlock.

But for power, forget it. Halfway up a very steep hill off the main road in Stoney Middleton, as soon as I saw how steep it was I stopped and put it in crawler, but it was no good, just caught it on the foot brake on the point of stalling,
handbrake wouldn’t hold it and, with my knee trembling with naked fear, I desperately called to a local to chock the wheels. He did it by partially demolishing his dry stone wall. I was eventually dragged up by a giant front end loader from the quarry at the top. I asked what gear he wanted me to put it in and he breezily said ‘neutral, don’t touch anything except the wheel then sit back and enjoy the ride’. :laughing:

Just Googled it. The road is High Street with the Moon pub at the turn off and I see that now, very sensibly, there is a 3 tonne limit. :smiley:

Ha ha,aye David,I remember wagons going up that hill (or trying) when I were a kid.And in later years I used the Moon pub when I was meeting an old pal of mine.

Chris Webb:

Spardo:

tyneside:
Tyneside

Ha ha,aye David,I remember wagons going up that hill (or trying) when I were a kid.And in later years I used the Moon pub when I was meeting an old pal of mine.

Yes Chris, I wished I’d stayed in the Moon before setting off. In those days of low power coupled with minimal gear choices (not all wagons, of course :wink: ) there was nothing so terrifying as a very steep slope, up or down. Before daring to lift my foot off the the brake, very gingerly to make sure the rocks were holding, I was desperately searching round to see if I could let it roll and immediately jacknife the rear end into something solid.

I had already suffered a brake failure on a hill in my Albion, and was later to suffer a failure on another with this same motor. But on that occasion I crammed it into a solid Cornish bank, destroying the steering but it stopped. :open_mouth:

Little did I know that a worse feeling was to come, rolling down a snow covered Blanc in my 89 with the exhaust brake locked on by the jammed dash switch that the previous driver had connected it to. :astonished: Yet another knee trembler as I gently feathered the foot brake to make sure that at least a few more wheels other than the drives were keeping me straight. Could have been worse I suppose, I could have been in a MAN with the locked exhaust cutting the engine as well. :imp: :laughing:

peterm:

Pedestrian crossing where i am stood, trying to break through a constant stream of shoppers was always a bit of a problem…

30 September 1984
Castle Donnington
Leics
A Leyland Roadrunner obviously with brandy in the fuel tank.

On the coal round 10th January 1933, sacks tied round the horses hooves to prevent it slipping on the icy surfaces nmp, Buzzer

pyewacket947v:

peterm:

Pedestrian crossing where i am stood, trying to break through a constant stream of shoppers was always a bit of a problem…

Not to mention bloody photographers. :slight_smile:

Few Brewery vehicles from F/B NMP

S&N VAN.jpg

S&N TK.jpg

S&N MAN TANKER.jpg

Fed Brewery AEC.jpg

Couple of fleet shots today nmp’s, Buzzer.

81158155_2591464791088460_5503136365094633472_n.jpg

Best wishes for Christmas and a happy new year to all of my Trucknet friends, Ray Smyth.

peterm:

pyewacket947v:

peterm:

Not to mention bloody photographers. :slight_smile:

Fair point…